Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:12:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRubber & Lead, 2D Vehicle Combat RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rubber & Lead, 2D Vehicle Combat RPG  (Read 1580 times)
OmegaPointGames
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2015, 10:13:58 AM »

Download from IndieDB http://www.indiedb.com/games/rubber-lead/downloads

Rubber & Lead is a vehicle combat game, similar in mechanics to the very old school game AutoDuel.

Currently you can run the arena, or perform missions, multiple vehicles and weapons are purchasable, armor is tracked with hit location damage for each side of the car, fuel/ammo/armor/cargo are displayed in a HUD.

Salvaging, rockets, mines, and the purchasable vehicles were implemented in today's build.

Most of the core mechanics are in place at this point, the main thing left is driver skills, I'll be implementing driving, combat, and mechanic skills next, after that I'll be adding content, (content is sparse for now).

Interested in any feedback, controls will be customizable before release but a wasd scheme will still probably not work that well, I like the current mouse hybrid method, but a controller (on screen controller for mobiles) should be ideal

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:07:53 PM by OmegaPointGames » Logged
OmegaPointGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 10:38:21 AM »

Build 11 uploaded, graphics update that removes most of the remaining placeholder art, also adjusted the price on armor. Still working on driver skills and reputation system.

www.rubberandlead.com/testbuild11

Any feedback is appreciated, upvotes on our greenlight page qualifies you for sainthood.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407102178

Gameplay video:

Berick
Level 0

The Mad Scientist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:23:26 PM »

The vehicle's didn't really move in a very car-like way. Both the my car and the AI cars often spun in place, and the AI cars could way out maneuver me in close range combat. Felt almost like a top down person than a top down car.

The menus were great, and very functional. Though I couldn't get my right mounted machine gun to fire after purchasing it for some reason (had plenty of ammo, and my left mounted one worked).

The mission (it looked like there's only one, since I tried the mission twice and it was the same thing) was very very easy. I drove right past all the AI cars and they would maybe get one machine gun bullet hit on me as I passed and they never caught up.

That said, cash was also very easy to come by. A couple of quick missions and I could buy anything I wanted.

This has got some great potential. More missions, less cash payout for completion to extend gameplay, and you've got something pretty fun!

There are no limits for those that see no limits
OmegaPointGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll look into the machine gun issue I probably broke it recently.

Can I ask which car you were using? it might help me narrow down the problem.

I definitely need to do tuning on the rewards etc, if you drove past the cars I'm assuming you didn't kill any and probably didn't notice that you can salvage them, which brings extra money. I plan to incentivize killing through the salvage mechanic, and the driver skills (driving, combat, salvage) so if you just rush through the missions you'll only be building driving skill and not the other 2.

I do need to work on the player cars handling some more, but I thought it was at a fairly good place for now, you can turn pretty tightly but you shouldn't be able to actually spin in place, except right after a collision (still thinking how to handle that, taking control away completely is worse).

The AI cars are another matter, I agree they kinda suck right now and I really need to work on their movement, it will be my next priority after getting the driver skills implemented.

There is indeed only 2 missions right now (one to go to phoenix, and one in phoenix to go back to tucson), I am working on getting all the mechanics up and running before implementing content, but I do plan to have multiple cities to go to and highway maps connecting them, and a random selection of 3 missions at a time in each city, with reputation/cargo requirements for higher end missions.

a 'stretch' goal for me, is to have a perk system, choosable perks from levelling fallout style (1 per 3 skillups), and then 'traits', which will be perks earned through content, the plan is have roguelike elements (player drives over a trigger, gets a  multiple choice story event, possibly gets a perk from it) with trait rewards that can be for either the player OR the car, player traits will be permanent but car traits will be lost when the car is lost.

thanks again for the feedback I really appreciate it.
OmegaPointGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 07:32:08 PM »

Tracked down the machine gun issue (typo in a pointer) and pushed a fix. thanks again Smiley
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »

consider making your turn speed based on your cars current speed, the tires arent spinning very fast so you shouldnt be able to turn quickly at that point yet. you could make your enemies have the same movement code as the player but make their "cursor" their current target and reduce their turning speed. overall the cars just need more momentum to them (getting knocked around, swerving when trying to turn at high speed)

I tried making a game with a similar control scheme, but it was about fighter planes so accelerating and colliding wasn't that complicated. Good luck on this!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic