Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:21:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)When pixel art and polygons make love
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: When pixel art and polygons make love  (Read 22843 times)
redhades
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:23:04 PM »

I always found that the Megaman Legends games had the most beautiful use of low-res textures on polygons.

http://www.legends-station.com/mml2/wallpaper/mastermemory0800.jpg
http://www.legends-station.com/motb/wallpaper/colossus0800.jpg
http://www.legends-station.com/motb/wallpaper/harbor0800.jpg
http://www.legends-station.com/motb/wallpaper/farm0800.jpg
http://www.legends-station.com/mml2/wallpaper/serabattle0800.jpg

Seriously, that is some awesome use of limited polycount and textures resolutions.
The artistic direction and character designs seem to fit perfectly with that somehow, especially for the enemy robots.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:25:19 PM »

Honestly I think that was more of a lack of sufficient technology rather than artistic choice.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 05:27:24 PM »

that does look rather sexy

The-Imp
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 05:31:22 PM »

I remember watching my brother play this once! Looking at it now, it does look rather wonderful... Now I wanna try something like this...
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »

that kind of stuff is so nice.

makes me want to get back into 3D modeling and do exactly that.

redhades
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 06:15:50 PM »

Honestly I think that was more of a lack of sufficient technology rather than artistic choice.

I'd rather use the term "constraints".

Constraints are something every artist has to work with on some level, whether it's imposed by hardware, the media they use or just self-imposed. I'm mostly saying that they did an awesome job at designing things within their constraints.

But looking at this stuff, I get the feeling that these constraints somehow helped the artists to make some stylish and unique choices. As if their stuff didn't just "end up" all blocky and jagged, but almost like it was designed to be pretty blocks and stylish angles.

Or maybe you are saying that this isn't really pixel art because it was not created from self-imposed constraints, but actual technology constraints from that time?
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »

Early 3d work is really neat in some ways!

I like the way it tends to resemble pixel art. Because the textures were low resolution and had palette limitations, the artists tended to fall back on pixel art techniques. DOOM and Quake are both this way to different degrees.

Another thing I've noticed is that earlier 3d games tend to have more dramatic shapes in them. Nowadays a lot of buildings are boxy and all the walls are at right angles. In the early days people really wanted to prove how '3d' their games were, and they included all kinds of weird architecture: tilted walls and floors, weird low poly organic shapes, pillars at strange angles. There also tends to be more z-axis to older 3d games (enemies on balconies, bridges over arenas, pits, etc.).
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »

I always loved MML's art style, it is fantastic!
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 07:13:46 PM »

I love Mega Man Legends so much. I wanna see pixel art in 3D more often.

Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 08:37:17 PM »

omg the boat in that third link  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 03:23:59 AM »

I love the combination of low poly models with pixel art texturing, then again I just love pixel art whatever the form. Wink
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:51:15 AM »

I remember seeing this game in a Babbage's when I was little- remember those? Man... I saw the robot on the back of the box (the one you can see in the third pic), and knew I wanted that game. Sadly, I have still not been able to find a copy. Is it actually any good, and if so, which console should I get it for?

For combining 2D and 3D art... Gitaroo Man, anyone?

EDIT: Something I've been wondering about. I've been modeling in 3d for a little bit, but I want to know if there is some program that allows you to paint textures right onto the model (as opposed to drawing the texture in Photoshop and importing it). If there was, it would make it far easier to achieve a look similar to the games we've been discussing. And if this software doesn't exist, well... anybody wanna make it?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 05:23:27 AM by Matthew Blake » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 07:34:33 AM »

Yeah, that is what I dreamed of in one of my game ideas. A 3D model editor, with drawing on the model. I have never heard of anything like that though.
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 07:55:16 AM »

Models like these are incredibly fun to make, and actually not all that hard Smiley I love messing around in 3Ds Max and making stuff like this.

[EDIT] @ Matthew: Modo allows you to paint on your model, but sadly you still have to import at least something into the program. I think it would actually be easier to just make something in Photoshop and map it on the model. Takes some getting used to, but after a while unwrapping a model isn't that hard anymore.

There's some excellent stuff like this over at Pixelation, by the way:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?PHPSESSID=6a983865e03b4acc30c8e9007e85a5bd&board=17.0
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:58:59 AM by Pietepiet » Logged
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 08:42:00 AM »

I like this and this.
Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »

EDIT: Something I've been wondering about. I've been modeling in 3d for a little bit, but I want to know if there is some program that allows you to paint textures right onto the model (as opposed to drawing the texture in Photoshop and importing it). If there was, it would make it far easier to achieve a look similar to the games we've been discussing. And if this software doesn't exist, well... anybody wanna make it?

Doesn't Photoshop CS4 allow that?

Quote from: Sir Wiki of Pedia
Photoshop CS4 features additions such as the ability to paint directly on 3D models, wrap 2D images around 3D shapes, convert gradient maps to 3D objects, add depth to layers and text, get print-quality output with the new ray-tracing rendering engine, and enjoy exporting to supported common 3D formats

fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 09:20:24 AM »

fuuuuuuuu
this stuff is SO nice.
SO NICE.

if team fortress actually had a mode like that dude's stuff, i could actually play it with a decent framerate!

but mark my words... this kind of stuff is the enxt big thing in indie aesthetic.
its gonna blow up.

Renton
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 09:23:45 AM »

but mark my words... this kind of stuff is the enxt big thing in indie aesthetic.
its gonna blow up.
And I think Dock will probably have something to do with that.
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 09:26:07 AM »

i cant spell.

The-Imp
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 09:33:03 AM »

Not everyone can. And if anyone re-makes a game, someone should try this method for graphics. I could see it working with a lot of games!
Hand Money LeftWizardHand Money Right
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic