Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:43:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesthe tedium of violence as progression
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: the tedium of violence as progression  (Read 15338 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: May 08, 2015, 09:13:59 AM »

citing a positive example for a change, this seems awesome and clever: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/chroma-squad-produce-a-tv-show-in-this-very-meta-power-rangers-game

preserves all of the action gameplay elements you'd expect in a tactical combat game, but within a self-aware context, that adds an entirely new angle with potential to hugely expand gameplay and narrative possibilities. a developer could choose to do this sort of thing, or they could make Generic Hack-n-Slash Tactics Clone #345783465-B. Im just hoping to encourage the former  Gentleman

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2015, 02:10:37 PM »

it's not call hatred, it's call gta, hotline miami, unchartred, etc ...

Even those put a silly excuse to justify it (no matter how much sense it makes). Hatred is just blunt about the whole idea.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2015, 02:36:49 PM »

citing a positive example for a change, this seems awesome and clever: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/chroma-squad-produce-a-tv-show-in-this-very-meta-power-rangers-game

preserves all of the action gameplay elements you'd expect in a tactical combat game, but within a self-aware context, that adds an entirely new angle with potential to hugely expand gameplay and narrative possibilities. a developer could choose to do this sort of thing, or they could make Generic Hack-n-Slash Tactics Clone #345783465-B. Im just hoping to encourage the former  Gentleman

There's already some big games with some self-awareness of its violence like shadow of colossus, and now bloodborne, and even though I like these games they have this paradox since the main way of progressing through the story is exatcly the way that is criticized by the plot. It has some charm, but is the kind of the thing that is better used in special cases and I prefer not the see it everywhere. I wish more games that wanted to criticize violence would simply give bad feedback to players that decide to use it, or making impossible to do it altogether.   
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2015, 03:56:12 PM »

Hatred seems to be postal 1997 bis.

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 08, 2015, 05:27:43 PM »

There's already some big games with some self-awareness of its violence like shadow of colossus, and now bloodborne, and even though I like these games they have this paradox since the main way of progressing through the story is exatcly the way that is criticized by the plot. It has some charm, but is the kind of the thing that is better used in special cases and I prefer not the see it everywhere. I wish more games that wanted to criticize violence would simply give bad feedback to players that decide to use it, or making impossible to do it altogether.   

It's definitely a cake-and-eat-it kind of strategy.  I did like SotC a lot, although about halfway through I said "You're right, game, I shouldn't be doing this" and turned it off.

Speaking of which, one of the things I'd like to see is better support for the choice of no-kill runs, of levels or of the entire game, and within the realm of normal gameplay choices.  (That is, not just no-kill runs for experts, or unlockable on your second playthrough, or via exploits, but intended from the beginning to be a valid play style that a new player might choose.)  I thought Dishonored did this pretty well, except for a glitched choice near the end of the game.

In some games it wouldn't even require a significant overhaul, just a little more attention to structure, so that you don't put a forced-kill objective as a bottleneck in an arc that can otherwise be completed by no-kill play.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 08, 2015, 05:41:48 PM »

I thought Dishonored did this pretty well, except for a glitched choice near the end of the game.

many of the "non lethal takedowns" in dishonored are much more cruel than killing your target imo
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: May 08, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »

I haven't played dishonored but what can you do to a person that's less moral than killing them?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 08, 2015, 05:51:35 PM »

iirc some of the "non lethal" methods resulted in the likely death of your target except slower and more painful than if you'd just killed them right away. there were (again iirc) several instances where you basically just delegated the murder to someone else. i also thought selling that one guy into slavery was pretty sadistic compared to just slitting his throat or watever.

i replaced morally reprehensible with cruel, illustrates my point better
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 08, 2015, 05:53:06 PM »

Firt Person Lover does it well with the power of love.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 08, 2015, 06:26:04 PM »

We should make a list of game that allow non violent run or are non violent, as a way too look for gameplay loop that work and inspire:

- Princess maker
- tokimeki memorial
- harvest moon
- deus ex HR director's cut
- animal crossing
- professor layton
- phoenix wright
- sports game
- jet set radio
- peggle
- match 3 and tetris like
- sim city and management game without war
- racing, driving and simulator genre
- adventure game in general
- puzzle games
- the sims
- minecraft creative mode
- fez
- journey
- world of goo
- dance and rythm game
- super monkey ball
- pet games
- walking simulator (stanlay parable, gone home, etc ...)
- tiny wing
- democracy
- lemmings
- education game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonviolent_video_game

http://feministfrequency.com/2011/12/14/top-10-best-non-violent-iphone-games/

Let's be honest, when people talk of non violent game they want "action game" with high frequency of high tension but dead simple actions" generally "view based game" (tps, fps, etc ...) with space traversal.

That's why minecraft is so successful, he made one simple non violent action the basis of the whole game, collecting and placing is high frequency, motivated and challenging.

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 08, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »

visual novels are nonviolent but are a little light on gameplay.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 08, 2015, 08:20:14 PM »

shooter are light on gameplay too, copy pasting the same element over and over isn't gameplay, it's churning. People dn't just understand choice as a mechanics is rooted in understanding, understanding is a gameplay mechanics because at the moment of the choice every bit of information counted, ie text is gameplay if you don't pay attention you can't make the choice or the choice is irrelevant. If anything sid meiers said, a game is a series of interesting decision, then visual novel are more of a game than shooter, most of the decision in shooter are not decision or are not interesting.

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 08, 2015, 09:03:54 PM »

iirc some of the "non lethal" methods resulted in the likely death of your target except slower and more painful than if you'd just killed them right away. there were (again iirc) several instances where you basically just delegated the murder to someone else. i also thought selling that one guy into slavery was pretty sadistic compared to just slitting his throat or watever.

Crueler than killing them, certainly, and maybe even more morally reprehensible.  (I don't remember a delegated murder option, but there was a pretty stark one where you come to realize that you've kidnapped a woman for a lovesick weirdo.)

I like always having the choice to not kill, but for me it's ok if the story is such that sometimes the no-kill choice leads to a morally bad outcome.  (I kind of prefer that to the normal RPG "moral choice", e.g., "Save the sick child, or murder their parents?")
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 08, 2015, 09:10:07 PM »

shmups are actually oblique math simulators.

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 08, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »

We should make a list of game that allow non violent run or are non violent, as a way too look for gameplay loop that work and inspire:

- Tony Hawk, other skate games, Dolphin Olympics
- Stunt games (e.g. Trials HD)
- Surgery and medical sims
- Logistics games (e.g. Flight Control)
- Time management
- Business sims
- Trade games (e.g. Taipan!, Gazillionaire)
- Many idle games
- VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, You Have To Win the Game, that whole style of platformer
- Starseed Pilgrim
- Parkour games (Mirror's Edge, Dustforce)
- Grow Home
- Many stealth games
- Scribblenauts

This would good to split off into another thread for later reference.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2015, 10:30:01 PM »

Similarly to dustforce, would An Untitled Story count? While there are bosses, I find there's a lot more emphasis on a variety of platforming gauntlets, and a lot of enemies you tackle in a way that they help you, more than just being a hindrance that you kill to get out of your way. I think more platformers could take this approach, and be more of a platformer than just another action variant
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2015, 12:30:16 AM »

Bosses, if a game otherwise more or less lacks violence, are a prime example of violence thrown in for content IMO.

Can't remember its title now, but a game has been mentioned here a few times where there is optional violence that can be avoided entirely if one so wishes, except for the bosses. That's dumb. It breaks the whole setup.

JWK5
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2015, 01:02:38 AM »

^^^ Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2015, 01:14:22 AM »

I like always having the choice to not kill, but for me it's ok if the story is such that sometimes the no-kill choice leads to a morally bad outcome.  (I kind of prefer that to the normal RPG "moral choice", e.g., "Save the sick child, or murder their parents?")
Yeah, I actually found the moral ambiguity of Dishonored refreshing in that regard. In most games the "good" choice is so obvious that it's almost immersion-breaking.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2015, 01:57:15 AM »

Crueler than killing them, certainly, and maybe even more morally reprehensible.  (I don't remember a delegated murder option, but there was a pretty stark one where you come to realize that you've kidnapped a woman for a lovesick weirdo.)

point is, dishonored is not a nonviolent game by any stretch
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic