Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 12:20:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSeven Sages - A puzzler/riddler
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Seven Sages - A puzzler/riddler  (Read 4552 times)
everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2015, 07:15:10 PM »

Seven Sages is out now!
Download it for FREE here: http://sevensagesgame.tumblr.com/

--------------------------------------------------
            UPDATE: February 7, 2016

1) Time flies
2) I'm terrible with deadlines
3) New promo vid for the game! Look at it:

UPDATE: August 31, 2015

Got the website for the game up and running:
http://sevensagesgame.tumblr.com

Also just released the trailer for the game! It's this thing over here:

---------------------------------------------

Sup everyone,

This is my first game which I've been developing for the past few months.
It's a pretty small game (the whole game takes place in one screen),
and it'll be completely free when I release it.
 Beer!

Basically, you play a scholar whose dead grandfather left him with a collection of mysterious books
that are either sealed (requiring a password to open) or unreadable in other ways.
And the goal is to find out what's in those books by solving a trail of puzzles/riddles.

It's a game that will involve a lot of reading and critical thinking.
I admit, it won't be for everyone, but hopefully some people enjoy it.

Here's some previews I put together:

You'll need to write notes when deciphering coded messages

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:28:42 AM by everythingever » Logged

Seven Sages - decipher secret messages and solve riddles (Download for FREE)

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:39:54 PM »

This sounds like my kind of game, awesome stuff!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 07:34:22 AM »

@MereMonkey thanks brotha! Beer!

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »

Critical thinking in a game!?!? Sign me up.  Who, Me?

everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 10:29:09 AM »

Critical thinking in a game!?!? Sign me up.  Who, Me?

haha thanks. Hope I can deliver.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 01:19:07 PM »

Tell me a little bit about the backstory and lore or whatever.  If there's spoiler surprise stuff, you can PM me.
jb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 02:11:09 PM »

Looks cool, I like the concept. Will the entire game take place in that one location or will it branch out to different areas?

pixelbarons.com
DOGO - competitive local multiplayer platformer
everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »

Tell me a little bit about the backstory and lore or whatever.  If there's spoiler surprise stuff, you can PM me.

Sure thing. I'll edit the original post with more details about the game world when I get some time.

Looks cool, I like the concept. Will the entire game take place in that one location or will it branch out to different areas?

Thanks! The entire game does take place in that one location. Like I said, it's my first game so I wanted to keep it small. The books in the game (and your own mind) is where the bulk of the gameplay really takes place anyway.

Actually, the original plan was for this game to just be a prologue/demo/teaser for a larger game that would have taken place in an entire town, but after spending some time developing this "prologue", I found that one room full of bookshelves was all I really needed to explore the type of gameplay that I had in mind. So I decided to just make this its own game.

If people end up really liking it and wanting more, I'd definitely be open to making a sequel that takes place in a whole mansion or castle or something, so that there's more rooms to explore. But for now, I just wanna be able to have something out there that's its own complete thing, even if it's something small.

jb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »

I really like the simplicity of your scope. Looking forward to seeing it come together. I think the biggest challenge might be making the communication of the story clear enough for the player to get into without hitting immediate walls in puzzles. Will there be a demo release or are you waiting to get everything finished first? 

pixelbarons.com
DOGO - competitive local multiplayer platformer
everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 08:42:44 PM »

I really like the simplicity of your scope. Looking forward to seeing it come together. I think the biggest challenge might be making the communication of the story clear enough for the player to get into without hitting immediate walls in puzzles. Will there be a demo release or are you waiting to get everything finished first? 

Thanks! I'll probably just release the finished game.

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »

Taking notes is an awesome idea. How do you re access them after jotting your thoughts down? Is there a special book on a shelf for them?

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »

Sounds very unique, good luck!

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 11:13:26 AM »

I love reading and this looks really cool; posting to follow

everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »

Taking notes is an awesome idea. How do you re access them after jotting your thoughts down? Is there a special book on a shelf for them?

The way it's programmed right now, it's sort of just like a regular text box where you can type things. You press tab to bring it up and tab again to put it away, and whatever notes you write will stay there until you actually delete them. So you'll be able switch back and forth from looking at a book to jotting down notes. I'll probably add a function where you can save notes and access them later at the desk. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two to do now that I'm thinking about it.

Sounds very unique, good luck!
I love reading and this looks really cool; posting to follow

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 12:32:49 PM »

Sup guys,

So just a quick update since I haven't posted in a bit. I'm still in the writing stage and I'm hoping to finish by the end of this month. I've been getting some really good short story submissions so thanks again to everyone who contributed. I'll still be taking contributions up until the end of June.

If everything goes according to plan, I'm hoping to release this game by late July or early-mid August. But of course, nothing is set in stone.

Anyway, that's all for now Gentleman

everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 05:10:45 PM »

Ayyy,

So for anyone following the development of this game *cricket*, I'm still in the development process. Obviously, my greenness has shown in my glaring inability to accurately estimate a release date, but in case you're of the optimistic belief that I've grown wiser since my last estimation, I would like to offer you my latest:

I'm currently estimating a mid November release date, late October if I'm being cocky. Next year if I'm being realistic xD

No but seriously, mid November should be plenty of time for me to finish everything. I honestly didn't get much done last month for various reasons but I've gotten back into work mode and development speed will be picking up these next few months.

Also, thanks again to everyone who contributed short stories. You guys are the reason this game is gonna be free (legally, but also out of gratitude Smiley, but mostly legally). I'm still taking contributions. See the first post for details.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »

Dang dude this looks amazing.

everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 05:19:32 AM »

Dang dude this looks amazing.

Thanks man

Halogen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »

:toastR:Are you still needing any story submissions? If so, I'd be happy to send some your way. If you wouldn't mind, I would like a bit more feedback or direction on where the stories should go. Otherwise I can just write up a fable or two. This looks pretty sweet so far. I'd like to see it when it's all finished up, too.

everythingever
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 11:17:20 AM »

Toast Right Are you still needing any story submissions? If so, I'd be happy to send some your way. If you wouldn't mind, I would like a bit more feedback or direction on where the stories should go. Otherwise I can just write up a fable or two. This looks pretty sweet so far. I'd like to see it when it's all finished up, too.

Thanks! Yea, I'll be taking story submissions up until the end of October probably.

As long as the story is ambiguous in terms of its historical and geographical context and generally medieval in its technological context, then it'll be fine.

Basically, just avoid references to real countries, religions, and historical figures/events. But feel free to make up your own of any of those.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic