Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 12:07:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsInvader Crush
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Invader Crush  (Read 1188 times)
Tuism
Level 0

Twoplus Games

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »

Hi all, hope to keep this devlog up to date as much as possible Smiley

Invader Crush (working title) (tempted to add "Saga") is a roguelike puzzle turn-based high-score shoot-em-up!

Playable: Invader Crush prototype - available as web or standalone.

I love puzzle games, and have been making them since I started making games. But I always manage to end up genre-mashing them into unintuitive oblivion, so I tried to reduce the barrier to entry with familiar mechanics/themes.

I hope you guys have the chance to give it a play, and I hope that playing alone is enough to understand the game.

It wasn't intended as a mobile-only game, but I'm definitely building it mobile-format first... It's basically compatible all round, though.

I do have a specific question about the game that I'd like to ask your opinion on, though - I'm not sure about the win condition. I'm agonising over two different win conditions: Target mode and kill count mode.

Target - there's a specific target rolling towards you in the wave of enemies, and to defeat the wave you have to hit that target.

or

Kill count - kill X number of invaders to complete a wave.

I have thoughts regarding the pros and cons of each of them, but I'd like to hear your opinion on them, so I don't want to colour your thoughts with mine.

The two modes can be selected at the start of the current build. So please give it a playtest and let me know what you've found about them!

The upgrades aren't functional yet. It's a taste/idea of what I want to still add.

Playable: Invader Crush prototype - available as web or standalone.

Thanks for checking it out! Here's to taking it further! Smiley
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:49:01 PM by Tuism » Logged

Designer/Illustrator/artist/game dev. (Wishing it sounded as cool as Singer/songwriter) of Twoplus Games

Dead Run is out, working on Invader Crush.
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:56:02 PM »

I nearly did not play it due to a few annoyances:
- the link you have posted does not work (I corrected it manualy)
- I use chrome, unity web player is no longer supported (or so it said)
- when switching to safari I watched 3 advertisements until I finally got to the game
- I was also asked to update/install flash (this is where I gave up, but then noticed the game was loading in the background)

finally in the game:
- I like the concept/game
- I like that it is not time that makes/brakes you
- I don't like the targeting, I very often missed blocks although I clicked them (I assume its due to the warping)

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 05:08:04 PM »

gave it another try:
- I dont know how the special weapon is supposed to be used
- its not obvious that the first click will fire the weapon (as text is still being displayed)

Tuism
Level 0

Twoplus Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:48:43 PM »

I nearly did not play it due to a few annoyances:
- the link you have posted does not work (I corrected it manualy)
- I use chrome, unity web player is no longer supported (or so it said)
- when switching to safari I watched 3 advertisements until I finally got to the game
- I was also asked to update/install flash (this is where I gave up, but then noticed the game was loading in the background)

finally in the game:
- I like the concept/game
- I like that it is not time that makes/brakes you
- I don't like the targeting, I very often missed blocks although I clicked them (I assume its due to the warping)

- OMW thanks SO MUCH for letting me know there was a mistake. I screwed up the formatting... It should be fixed now!
- I know about the Chrome + web player problem, it's a global issue that has no workarounds unfortunately. Gamejolt does allow it to force load, though.
- I'm sorry that it's making you watch ads... I'm using Gamejolt because it allows people to comment directly on the game. I used itch.io before, but it lacked that feature, and I think feedback is important. There isn't actually an option to turn ads off Sad
- The Flash thing is strange, I have no idea why it would do that :/

- On the targeting - yeah I'm going to change it to a lane-based system. I see what you mean by clicking and missing! That's a problem... The way to play is to actually hold down, aim and release, but that hasn't been tutorialised yet. (that part was made for mobile devices, I'll fix/change it for desktop builds)

- On the special weapon - do you mean the "upgrades" after each level? Those haven't been implemented yet (I mentioned that in my post but I suspect it's too long), so you haven't missed anything.
- Do you mean "first click" as in on the title screen? If so, that's a presentation bug that I should fix.

Did you have any thoughts on the two modes, target mode and kill count mode? I'm struggling to decide which win condition to base the game around!

Thanks so much for giving it a shot!

Designer/Illustrator/artist/game dev. (Wishing it sounded as cool as Singer/songwriter) of Twoplus Games

Dead Run is out, working on Invader Crush.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic