Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 07:12:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGREENLIGHT - Adaeus: Rogue Planet. Roguelike metroidvania style RPG platformer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: GREENLIGHT - Adaeus: Rogue Planet. Roguelike metroidvania style RPG platformer.  (Read 13259 times)
Tondo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2015, 02:07:32 PM »

Well I love me some metroidvania games so I'll be definitely keeping a watch on this one. Weapon customization sounds pretty cool too.
OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 02:12:35 PM »

Thanks, fixed.

Tig Blog: Right here   Twitter: https://twitter.com/OMGWTFGameDev Sign up for our mailing list here!: CLICK CLICK
OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2015, 02:17:01 PM »

Well I love me some metroidvania games so I'll be definitely keeping a watch on this one. Weapon customization sounds pretty cool too.

Thanks!  We feel that the more freedom we give players mix and match chips, the more unique play styles people will come up with.  We're pretty excited to see what folks think when it's in their hands, and what combinations will be most prevalent.

Tig Blog: Right here   Twitter: https://twitter.com/OMGWTFGameDev Sign up for our mailing list here!: CLICK CLICK
OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »

Update #11 - New Areas and Monsters.

Contained in this update are some WIP areas and enemies.  Neither of the enemies have any AI yet and still have animation needs, but they do look awesome!  The desert area you see below will be a typical areas filled with sand dunes, bones, caves, etc.  It will also house an abandoned research lab area of sorts for the player to explore.  In addition to that, we have the volcano/lava tiles complete and this is a WIP of what you're likely to see (in addition to animated lava, lava spurts that will damage you, etc).

Both of these areas will find their way into the roguelike mode soon as well.  Roguelike mode is really coming into its own now with the stat tracking, spawn variety, random(ish) level generation, death tallies and rewards, etc.  It's starting to tip past the point of a tech demo and more towards the point of a legit fun game mode.

"Pretty much everywhere... it's gonna be hot."

SunWuKong
Level 5

Help me, help you.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2015, 07:29:35 PM »

What the glob!!?!? Looks great and there are some very nice animations happening!

Great job!

-Tim

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »

What the glob!!?!? Looks great and there are some very nice animations happening!

Great job!

-Tim

Thank you!  It's those little posts of praise that keep those motivation tanks full!

Appreciate it.

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 06:53:37 PM »

Update #12 - Roguelike Random Enemy Weapons!

So our roguelike mode does the standard thing that most roguelikes do.  Random enemy spawns with random(ish - we have some set pieces in levels to reward players with the correct travel powers) levels.  However, we've also worked in random enemy weapons too.  This means that you'll run up against bees that will spit fire instead of poison, or robots that will shoot missiles instead of lasers.  Neat right?  Well...

HOW ABOUT MONSTERS THAT SHOOT OUT OTHER MONSTERS?  (Gotta let the fanfare die down a bit so the audience can still hear). That's right, witness the glory of FOLIAGE MAN (forgive the <50 FPS for this gif):

Okay, so foliage man isn't really a thing, but we have given enemies the ability to surprise the player in the roguelike mode with doing things like shooting out plants.  We can even make them shoot bears if we wanted to (we don't want to really).  You won't see this kind of thing early on, but you will need to be aware and approach enemies with more caution the further along you get, since the one time you don't you'll be handed that death that could you have avoided, you would have gotten the 10 more points you needed for that upgrade!

We think this spices things up nicely and will keep the player on their toes in the roguelike mode.  We are not entirely sure it will make it into the single player game, since there's currently not much of a place for it, but we will try to think of a reason for the BEAR CANNON.

Until next time!

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 03:21:54 PM »

Update #13 Roguelike Mode - More Randomness.

Hello folks!  So today we'll touch a bit on the randomness of our roguelike mode.  As mentioned before, our roguelike mode has randomly generated levels, but they're made of set pieces which allows us to reward players in specific ways for finding travel powers.  However, all the enemy spawns are randomized.  We do have set areas in which enemies can spawn, and they will either activate or deactivate with more regularity depending on how far into the current run a player has gotten.  If a node activates, then it will go through another random number check in order to populate that spot with a monster.  Certain monsters are only allowed to activate once you get past certain levels so that we can be sure that a starting player doesn't get smoked by a level 50 miniboss robot.

Another thing we're doing, however, is also randomly generating the tiles each run.  So while you will see the same walls and build outs of areas, they will look slightly different.  We've demonstrated this below with a couple screenshots (forgive the size, but it makes it easier to tell the difference between tiles).  You will see both the enemy spawns having changed, and the tiles themselves:

(Please note, these areas are still WIP and don't have all the props or their randomization implemented yet.)

Run 1:

Run 2:

As you can see there, the tiles get changed up a bit, and, in a build that is coming up soon, we will have randomized props as well (decorations/lights/etc).  Some places will also be filled with water certain times and other times not which will change the way that you'll want to navigate certain areas.

We feel that this controlled approach as far as level structure is concerned, rather than being truly random, creates situations that are far easier to reward the player with, such as static item drops accessible by double jump, or a gap you can cross with a dash jump allowing you to skip a section of a floor and get to the next area more quickly (thereby potentially saving valuable HP!).  

That's it for us for this update!  We appreciate those of you that are following and the feedback that we are getting!  Quite often folks point out things we hadn't even thought of before and it's making this a better game as a result.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 05:50:48 PM by OMGWTF Games » Logged

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »

Update #14 - Splish Splash, mofos.

First things first:  We have a mailing list!  Sign up HERE.

Zaeith (the lead programmer for Adaeus) spent a lot of time programming our liquid effects, so it's high time he gets a little spotlight here in the form of an update!  Our liquid system is typical of what you would expect of a platformer and that will be detailed here with a few gifs (apologies for the 30FPS-ness of the following gifs):

When walking in shallow water, the player will just make it slosh around a bit:

When walking in deeper water, the player will be slowed down (in addition to more slosh), and you can see him speed up for just a moment after getting out of the deep stuff:

And finally, you can also slosh (tired of this word yet?) through FLESH EATING ACID:

This last venture is really not recommended.  In addition to this, we also have lava in the works which flows a little differently, slows the player down a bit more, and hurts WAY more.  Who doesn't love more ways to die horrible deaths?

Serious Business Robot says happy Saturday:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:35:03 PM by OMGWTF Games » Logged

Zaeith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 01:14:08 PM »

Hello All,

I am Zaeith (Jeff), the programmer for OMGWTF Games' Adaeus. I was unable to view the forums until I upgraded to Windows 10 for some reason. So, I've upgraded and here I am!

A little bit about myself, I am a returning college student studying Computer Science at UNLV. I've worked as a  web developer, in video and film as an editor and cinematographer, ice hockey player and coach; plenty of school and games in between. I've always enjoy tinkering with game editors and map-making programs; Hammer, Unreal, WarCraft 3 and Starcraft's world editor. At some point, I will share about the developement of our world creation process!

I will be popping in to share various problems I've encountered as well as the solutions I've come up with. A few words here and there; answering any questions you amazing people might have about how our game works. I'll include a little bit in this post.

We are a GameMaker Studio created game written in GameMaker Language (GML). We currently are on build 56 of what we are calling the version 3 of the pre-alpha. We have 472 scripts and ~575 sprite spreets (including backgrounds). Our changelog is roughly 100+ pages documenting many if not all of our trials and tribulations; all of which has been a joy to create.

Those Game Maker Studo user who want to find their stats like the number of scripts and resources, etc it's fairly simple. Just navigate to your <projectfilename>.gmx folder and look at the number of items in the directories for scripts, sprites, and other resources. It's pretty cool to see how far your game has come.

Anyways, I'll be around!

See You Space Cowboy.

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:25 PM »

Verifying the legitimacy of Zaeith's post!  We had about 2000 tin foil hatters (-2000) knocking down our door wanting to make sure he was the real deal.

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 05:10:22 PM »

Update #15 - Interacting with the environment.

While building out areas, we are trying to keep the environment as engaging as possible.  In our factory area, we have tracks with mine carts on them, traveling different directions depending on if they are bringing ore, or going back out for more.  There are also slow ones, fast ones, and one that MOVES LIKE THE FLASH.  We'll show those to you all a bit later in more detail, but today we're going to focus on the cranes that operate in the factory.

In a few spots in the factory, we have cranes operating that move boxes to and fro like cranes often do.  These serve to build platforms for the player to walk on in order to advance (and can also damage the player if they land on them).  Below, you'll see a crane drop a crate which the player uses as a short cut to get up a ledge.

The cranes themselves can be interacted with too!  Below, it looks like a robot is just out of reach while he snipes at the player and has been chipping away at his HP.  

Well, the aware player will think "hey, maybe I can ride up and murder that son of a bitch and get some payback."  If the player is astute enough to think about such things, not only will they be able to get sweet revenge, they will also be able to find alternate paths or secret item pick ups, as demonstrated below.

And of course, who would we be if we didn't make sure that these things could also kill the player?  Killing the player is one of our favorite pastimes with Adaeus, afterall!

So that's more of our environment stuff.  We're working out a few kinks with mine carts which we'll show everyone next post!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:53:00 AM by OMGWTF Games » Logged

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2015, 10:02:30 AM »

Update #16 - Quick Art Update

Hello folks, just a quick update today.  Made some minor modifications to our ill tempered robot!

We'll have him not only slashing at you, but also throwing things as well.  Rocks, grenades, armed missiles... maybe even confetti (okay maybe not).

We also have some new monsters in the works:

We'll have these guys animated and their AI worked out in the coming weeks!

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »

Update #17 - Quick Art Update #2

Happy Saturday everyone.  Here's an art update featuring one of our boss monsters.  This dude lives to make you miserable.

Have a good weekend!

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2015, 03:58:24 PM »

Update #18 - Progress and lottery accidents.

Firstly, we are moving right along with our roguelike mode.  We're getting a higher variety of areas in the mode along with making progress with the end game bit of it.  We're now at the point that when you die in roguelike mode, all of your stats are displayed and (accurately) accounted for.  Next up comes the little splash animations tallying each of your stats and the boost points you'll earn from each category.  The more kills you get, longer distance you travel/fall, the higher damage you take in one hit (and a variety of other fun stats) will determine how many boost points you get to spend on your attributes for your next run.  Spend your points correctly and you'll be able to get further than you previously did and earn even more boost points.

After that, we'll be working on the "golden crate" mechanic of the roguelike.  Most items you find come in normal crates or are dropped by enemies.  However, anything you find in a golden crate will be saved and usable every run thereafter.  We're tossing around the idea that you'll have to "cash out" to keep your golden crate items.  Meaning that after you defeat a boss on a floor multiple of 10, you'll have the option to use a teleporter to "cash out" or in other words, end your run.  You'll get your tally of points as if you died, but you'll also keep whatever golden chest item you find. We feel this adds a sense of urgency about staying alive and makes the treasure from those golden chests all the more coveted.

Opinions needed!

Since this isn't something we've actually decided on yet, we'd actually like to get some feedback here if you don't mind!  Good mechanic?  Bad?  Frustrating?  Enticing?  Let us know what you think, input in a matter like this is pretty important to us.

And before we go, have some accidental lottery winnings.

Yeah... we'll have to fix that.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:06:22 PM by OMGWTF Games » Logged

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »

Update #19 - Death Stats

Just a quick update on the stat tracking we talked about in an earlier post.  This is an early WIP of our game over screen in the roguelike mode that will track various actions taken in game, add them up, then reward you with boost points to spend on stats for your next run.

Note the robot that got the kill, ready to move in for the teabag.

All the stats are tracked, and we'll have the bonus points allotted soon.  After that comes actually spending them on your next run.

grandslam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2015, 03:51:16 PM »

This game looks fuckin sick. i can't get enough of the animation style.

The thread is long af so I didnt read it all but about your question I think if I got a rare item and died and lost it I would want to quit
Zaeith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2015, 04:04:54 PM »

The thread is long af so I didnt read it all but about your question I think if I got a rare item and died and lost it I would want to quit

Glad you like our game! I think requiring the play to bring the item back safely to the staging room adds an incentive for the player to stay alive. If you can't bring the item back to base for storing and replication, then you can't keep it.  Wink

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »

Glad you like our game! I think requiring the play to bring the item back safely to the staging room adds an incentive for the player to stay alive. If you can't bring the item back to base for storing and replication, then you can't keep it.  Wink

That's pretty much what we're going for.  We want there to be some tension when finding one of these crates, but it's not like you get an item right then and there and lose it if you die.  You have to bring these crates back to the staging room, and if successful, you find out what the item is after you open it. 

That softens the blow a little bit, without making it Carebear style.

grandslam
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 05:58:42 AM »

That's pretty much what we're going for.  We want there to be some tension when finding one of these crates, but it's not like you get an item right then and there and lose it if you die.  You have to bring these crates back to the staging room, and if successful, you find out what the item is after you open it. 

That softens the blow a little bit, without making it Carebear style.

I just found the show replies to you post feature here and saw this reply. Maybe its less bad that way but I would still be raged if I lose a rare item in a game since I play to have fun not get punished
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic