Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 07:47:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[GG] Prison Payback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [GG] Prison Payback  (Read 1449 times)
Bravo81
Level 0

Founder - Greenlight Games

View Profile WWW
« on: July 23, 2015, 10:12:54 AM »

Hello! This is a new game being developed by a team inside Greenlight Games. Nothing much to discuss right now, but I'll leave you with the below image.

Thoughts? Ideas? What does it make you think of, or how do you imagine the gameplay? Would be great to hear from you!

http://www.greenlightgames.co.uk
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 10:15:52 AM »

I dunno, the style seems very reminiscent of prison architect, almost too much even.

Since there seems to be developed characters however, I'd say that the direction the game is taking is quite different, so there's that. It's a nice teaser though. Smiley

Bravo81
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 10:18:19 AM »

I dunno, the style seems very reminiscent of prison architect, almost too much even.

Since there seems to be developed characters however, I'd say that the direction the game is taking is quite different, so there's that. It's a nice teaser though. Smiley

Hey! You know you're right about that, inspiration has been taken from Prison Architect. But this isn't the same type of game, maybe it's the orange that really makes you think that? But that's normal prisoner jumpsuit colour! Smiley

http://www.greenlightgames.co.uk
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 10:29:24 AM »

Well, the orange certainly gives it away, but the main resemblance I see is the fact that they are all limbless figures with minimal facial features. I'd iterate away from that in the future, since there are already a certain amount of games with a similar character design and prison themes. Maybe if "Prison Payback" had something really unique in it's art and character design to differentiate itself from the rest of those other games, it would be better of. Anyways, it's maybe not as big of a deal as I make it to be, it just seems like a glaring issue to me. But hey, whatever floats your boat!

JmPrsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »

Well, the orange certainly gives it away, but the main resemblance I see is the fact that they are all limbless figures with minimal facial features. I'd iterate away from that in the future, since there are already a certain amount of games with a similar character design and prison themes. Maybe if "Prison Payback" had something really unique in it's art and character design to differentiate itself from the rest of those other games, it would be better of. Anyways, it's maybe not as big of a deal as I make it to be, it just seems like a glaring issue to me. But hey, whatever floats your boat!

Hey Jamie here, programmer for Greenlight Games and Prison Payback, thanks for the feedback, as previously mentioned, the art style is indeed using Prison Architect and a few other games as reference with their simple designs around their characters, but this game will be using different effects and features to make them unique... there shall be another teaser coming soon  Wink
JmPrsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 08:54:28 AM »

Just a few screenshots of gameplay mechanics and testing how the HUD will look etc...

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 10:29:09 AM by JmPrsh » Logged
JmPrsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »

Here is a first look at our titlescreen (without sound). sound will come shortly after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9VEyaM7gis&feature=youtu.be

feedback please  Wink Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left
JmPrsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 11:31:35 AM »

Here is also a pic of some new items that have been added including our new guard dogs/ sniper rifle/ over the top minigun!... and collectibles  Grin

JmPrsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »

Our new character select menu  Tongue
JmPrsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »

Added some of our enemies into the game  Hand Thumbs Up Left
JmPrsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 05:09:29 AM »

we have made a lot more progress but weve decided not show any more untill we have a working demo.... but wanted to ask for anyones advice if they know unity... what would be the best way to keep the edge detail in the artwork when the camera has zoomed out... because as you can see from this picture the edges are jagged....
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 05:58:10 AM »

Goodness, this looks extremely close to Prison Architect's aesthetic. There's a big difference from being 'inspired' and straight-up copying their style. I would seriously suggest rethinking the graphical aspect here, as this isn't going to go well for you in the long-run. The last thing you want is your potential player-base getting defensive on Introversion's behalf.

JmPrsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 12:45:04 AM »

yes prison architect was an inspiration to the art style we have chosen, although you can see some keys differences such as the way they move, our characters body shapes are all the same which are round and also our characters don't have hands.... not to mention the gameplay is completely different so im sure it wont be a problem
JmPrsh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 12:46:22 AM »

also like to mention you control a character in the same kind of way of games such as binding of isaac  Hand Thumbs Up Left
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic