Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411896 Posts in 69427 Topics- by 58475 Members - Latest Member: szálamireaktor

June 07, 2024, 11:06:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrom Limb To Limb (Working Title)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: From Limb To Limb (Working Title)  (Read 1046 times)
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2015, 04:46:11 PM »

Introduction:

Hello everyone!

One thing I really enjoy are devlogs. So I figured I'd start one while I work on my game, plus it'd be good motivation to try to get things done to post it. Hopefully everyone likes the idea and enjoys the devlog. I can't promise I'll be able to post everyday or week since I only get to work on this in my spare time.

The Game

The game as I call it for now is, From Limb To Limb. Essentially, it's my answer to the question: "What would happen if you can keep fighting even if you lose limbs?". The idea first came to mind when I was talking with a friend and we talked about how it'd be funny to beat someone with their own limbs.

Right now, it's just me. I'll be looking for an artist eventually. Currently, I have an almost done basic fighting system setup. I'm just missing blocking and grabbing. Which grabbing can be used to take out people's limbs.

The fun part about this game, is that not only can you do damage to knock each other's limbs off but you can reattach limbs. Movement and attacks do change based on what limbs you have. Obviously, having both legs is going to make you move faster as opposed to one or none. Also, you have a choice to instead pick up limbs as a weapon and this goes vice versa for weapons. You can pick them up to use or attach them to your body. The goal with weapons is to have the weapons be used differently when it's a limb instead of being held.

For example (Rocket Launcher. Weapon: Fire rockets at opponent. Limb: Use it as a double jump. A literal rocket jump.)

I wanted to make it simple, easy to learn and fun. So there is essentially three things you can do.

Block. Attack. Grab.

Block beats Attack. Grab beats Block. Attack beats Grab. Basically rock, paper, scissors. Where you get some depth to the game is that when you attack or grab, you can press up to aim for the head or down to aim for the legs or if you don't press either, you go for the torso/arms. From there, you get to start deciding how you want to take down your opponent.

I'm hoping the game will be one of those games that people will want to sit around together and play.

Modes

As I've mentioned, one of the modes is to fight fellow players, whether free for all or teams. Not only is it just an arena fighting (using this very loosely) game. There will be mini-games as well. Some that I will "reveal":

Hangman: Either take turns or not, to guess letters. Every time you guess a correct letter, the other players lose a limb. Every time you guess wrong, you lose a limb.

Headball: Grab other player's heads and score them into a basket. Either the basket will be on the ground or I'll replace the legs with springs so players can do high jumps to reach the net.

Armed & Loaded: Every 30 seconds, each player's right arm will be swapped with a weapon.

Build A Body: Start off as a head and race others to randomly spawn body pieces and be the first to build your body.

Gifs:

This is a preview of building your body up. You can roll around as a head before attaching your torso.

This is a preview of knocking someone's limbs off. Although for the sake of this gif, I made it so all limbs fell off.

This is a preview of Hangman. At first you get to guessing right, then guessing wrong. Credit to Kenney for the letters. There's just there until I get an artist.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 02:41:52 PM by Keith » Logged

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
BanzaiBrigade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:58:36 AM »

Fun concept. I feel like some overdone blood and gore would do wonders.

How will weapons tie into the rockpaperscissors balancing? Will you be able to block an attacking rocket for example?

BrawlBeast currently on Kickstarter
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:10:41 AM »

I'm not sure if I want to add blood and lots of gore. I was going to go for a more comical/cartoony style. As for the weapons, I haven't quite decided yet.

Either:

A) Block them at all times.
B) Block them but lose your arms in the process.
C) Duck/Crouch

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 01:45:16 PM »

Currently implementing grabbing limbs off players. You'll be able to choose to grab either the head, arms or legs based up if you hold up, down, or just grab.

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 05:50:28 PM »

I've managed to complete the grab system. You can now grab any limb you want. Woo! Should make it interesting for players to determine how they want to go about fighting someone. The gif seems a little fast, I'll have to look into that.

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:53:44 PM »

Lol it looks pretty funny xD How does the grab system work? How are the controls to pick what you're trying to grab?

Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »

The grab system is essentially you pressing the grab button and either up, down or neither. Grab itself, grabs arms first, grab up goes for head and grab down goes for legs.

As for grabbing items to reattach them as limbs, it's the same way.

Also, I haven't made any updates lately cause I've been busy studying for exams and finishing the semester. Also I had a huge bug that was causing all the animations and attacks to go out of whack but that's fixed now. I'll try to do something soon, but if not then for sure by the end of the month.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:01:23 PM by Keith » Logged

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 10:04:15 AM »

Life has been so busy that I haven't been able to work on it much or post anything but now I'll be quite free until the end of the year. So to celebrate being able to work on this again, I've tried to implement two new things.

Picking up your opponent

The goal with this is having the players be able to pick up other players that have no legs. The disadvantage to this is that if you pick them up from the front, they can punch you in the head. You could drop the player off ledges or into traps.

The goal with this is to have an animation that players can have that not only serves as a way to taunt a player but also finish the player off once they have their head. There are loads in mine that I'd like to do once I get this better implemented.

Head animations/finishing moves. (This is a test to see how well it'd work)

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic