Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:43:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)3D thread
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 192
Print
Author Topic: 3D thread  (Read 937170 times)
matwek
« Reply #3560 on: April 13, 2016, 02:52:31 AM »

My first post here in the 3D art section. I've decided to make the jump from pixels to polygons and started trying to teach myself Blender.

After 1-2 days, lots of reading and a little bit of swearing. I've produced my first 3D textured model test.
The end goal being to recreate my original pixel art scene in 3D.

Any words of advice from people who have made a similar jump? So far I've just been reading Blender for Dummies, and it seems to be working well and the info is sinking in.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3561 on: April 13, 2016, 02:59:21 AM »

That looks like a good start. The modeling for that style seems pretty simple. How closely do you want to reproduce that scene in 3D? If you want an almost exact replica (to do something like Fez, for example) then you need to think about how textures will look. If you allow for mip mapping and interpolation, then it will look blurred. If you use any camera angle that isn't ortographic and looking straight at the objects you will also get pixel distortions. If you don't want a perfect replica then you're pretty much on your way already :D

matwek
« Reply #3562 on: April 13, 2016, 08:28:08 AM »

That looks like a good start. The modeling for that style seems pretty simple. How closely do you want to reproduce that scene in 3D? If you want an almost exact replica (to do something like Fez, for example) then you need to think about how textures will look. If you allow for mip mapping and interpolation, then it will look blurred. If you use any camera angle that isn't ortographic and looking straight at the objects you will also get pixel distortions. If you don't want a perfect replica then you're pretty much on your way already :D
Im not sure what thoese words mean, but I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them as I read up some more, as I don't want things to look blurry. Thanks

I don't want to make an exact replica of the scene at first, I'll probably be aiming for something a lot more blocky.
In an ideal world I would like to use it in pixel art style FPS like Megaman Death Match...

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3563 on: April 13, 2016, 09:00:40 AM »

To turn off mipmapping, go to the preferences dialog (in the file menu), go to the system tab, and turn off mipmapping. That'll make the textures in the viewport appear really sharp. If you want to turn them off on a per-texture basis / in your renders, you'll have to look that up somewhere.

Looks pretty good so far, yeah. Keep transferring textures over to the 3D scene and you'll be done pretty quickly.

matwek
« Reply #3564 on: April 13, 2016, 09:13:03 AM »

To turn off mipmapping, go to the preferences dialog (in the file menu), go to the system tab, and turn off mipmapping. That'll make the textures in the viewport appear really sharp. If you want to turn them off on a per-texture basis / in your renders, you'll have to look that up somewhere.

Looks pretty good so far, yeah. Keep transferring textures over to the 3D scene and you'll be done pretty quickly.
Ah cool. thanks.
Just got to get my head around unwrapping effectively, and then I can start to block out the basic scene.
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: April 14, 2016, 08:45:09 AM »

Any words of advice from people who have made a similar jump?

You're going to have to re-do / correct some of your tiles to make them suitable as textures, but other than that it's pretty straight-forward. Here's a tiny ( quick & dirty ) section ..

However, depending on the type of game & perspective you might want to add some more geometric detail. Even just adding indents between bricks, using "volumetric" foliage and some subtle diagonals here & there can go a long way.
Sazem
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3566 on: April 14, 2016, 01:08:06 PM »

Polly, that looks just absolutely amazing!!

matwek, im currently thinking to make something with low poly pixelated 3d stuff (or whats its called officially). You might check out Crocotile3d. Has nice video on

on the making progress. Im currently making something simple with it and it does it tricks. Blender is amazing too. Im planning to use both mixed.

nnyei
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: April 14, 2016, 06:52:26 PM »

I've been wanting to post in this 3D threat for quite a while now, but I never felt like I've created anything worth posting, but eff that noise. Have a tiny little beaver. Smiley

That is super adorable. I love it.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Oh, sorry I somehow missed your comment! Thank you! Grin

A little platipus (I did this before the beaver so everything about it is a bit rougher around the edges):

Also super cute. I hope there's a game forthcoming staring these adorable little creatures. Insta-buy.  Hand Money Left

Thank you so much! But unfortunately no, no game forthcoming. Sad I'd have to team up with a programmer for that to happen, and I'm not confident enough in my 3D skills for that yet. Hence these little experiments. Smiley
matwek
« Reply #3568 on: April 15, 2016, 12:12:20 AM »

You're going to have to re-do / correct some of your tiles to make them suitable as textures, but other than that it's pretty straight-forward. Here's a tiny ( quick & dirty ) section ..

However, depending on the type of game & perspective you might want to add some more geometric detail. Even just adding indents between bricks, using "volumetric" foliage and some subtle diagonals here & there can go a long way.
Thats awesome, just what I was aiming for. You sure you dont want to do everything for me?

Yeah, I did think that might be the case. The perspective of a 2D top down game is never quite correct, a lot of liberties are taken to get it to look right, and so the textures look weird when taken out of context.

It reminds me of this image, where devs tried to get the same top down 2D look with 3D assets...
http://exiin.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/original.jpg

Im just starting out, so I think I want to get a basic model done first, as a test. Then as I get better I'll start adding in slopes and indents.

Just a quick question. Did you model that as a whole object? Or was it a selection of objects linked together to make the scene?

matwek, im currently thinking to make something with low poly pixelated 3d stuff (or whats its called officially). You might check out Crocotile3d.
Thats cool. I'll be sure to check it out.
The end goal is to get good at proper 3D stuff, so this is currently just a stepping stone, but I can definitely think of a few projects of mine that could make use of Crocotile

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: April 15, 2016, 01:43:51 AM »

Did you model that as a whole object? Or was it a selection of objects linked together to make the scene?

It's a single object / mesh yes. But you should just use the workflow that works best for you ( also i don't use Blender ).
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3570 on: April 18, 2016, 06:02:34 AM »

I often collab with my gf, and we made this today, where she did the flower, and I did the animation. Quite simple of course, but we haven't been using Blender for all that long, I used to be a 3DS fella many years ago, but came to realize that I had forgotten most here 10-15 years later. It's using the shapekeys.

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: April 20, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »

Robot croc/dino with yamukkah!

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: April 20, 2016, 03:06:58 PM »

im working on becoming a blender pro

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: April 20, 2016, 04:07:31 PM »

well both of you can work on teh next fnaf like horror right away

swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: April 20, 2016, 05:10:25 PM »

They say the robots are haunted at Schmuck E Cheese... Hope your not a goy, I heard the crocodile will give you an... involuntary bris if he gets his hands on you.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3575 on: April 20, 2016, 11:16:04 PM »

Just some concept art rather than an actual 3D model yet, but thought it may fit?

The numbers indicate the triangle count.
Elliott D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3576 on: April 24, 2016, 08:00:46 AM »

I've been away from TIGSource for a long time. Mostly scared away by my own abandoned devlogs.
I've recently closed my old website and so all of my previous posts have broken links. which seems like a good excuse for a fresh start. I'm trying hosting images with dropbox.

I made this werewolf for Ludum Dare last weekend and it took about 5 hours from starting the sketch including three animations.
(switched to hosting images on my site, thanks @SolarLune)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 04:22:35 AM by Elliott D. » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3577 on: April 24, 2016, 02:32:07 PM »

Those pictures are broken links. Sad

@Sik - Huh, that's an interesting approach. Nice work.

Elliott D.
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3578 on: April 25, 2016, 06:56:03 AM »

Fixed my hosting problem I think. here are some older things

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3579 on: April 25, 2016, 11:11:16 PM »

Ah, yeah, you did. Nice work. I really like those faceless characters! Really nice work on their animations!

Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 192
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic