Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412103 Posts in 69452 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: holdamech

June 27, 2024, 01:24:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOddball Racers
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Oddball Racers  (Read 2296 times)
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« on: September 03, 2015, 12:24:32 AM »

The game is done. You can download it over at itch.io, the links are below.

Download for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux

ControlsKeys 1Keys 2360 Gamepad
Join gameLShiftRShiftStart
Toggle viewLCommandRCommandY
SteeringA, DLArrow, RArrowLStick
AccelerateWUArrowRTrigger
BrakeSDArrowLTrigger
Toggle reverseLShiftRShiftRBumper

And screenshot. Some enlarge when clicked!

My attempt at 3D modelling. Made in Blender

First person view. The game is intended to be top-down, but I like this view so it's an option.

Broken AI. The AI works now and is fairly competent, but originally it had a death wish.

First version of chase view. This has been improved since.

Split screen can go up to 8 players and each player can choose their own view.

Starting lights are go, go, go!

Final placings and finishing times.

Everyone loves a video!

Minimap so you can see how far ahead, or behind, you are.

No racing game is complete without skid marks.

This shows one of the big screens that line the track. They all work and show the race unfolding

Can you guess which racing circuit this track is modelled after?

There's plenty to look at lining the track as you race around. Here's a tranquil scene of trees and sheep.

The steering wheel has lots of info on it just like the real F1 steering wheel it's based on.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:28:01 AM by Oddball » Logged

smn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 12:42:44 AM »

The top down view looks super cute! Strong Gene Rally vibes right there. Keep it up! Beer!
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 05:27:42 AM »

I'd never heard of Gene Rally. Just had a look at a few videos and it seems like the kind of thing I'm going for, especially the Gene Rally 2 vids.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 12:17:20 PM »

I like the top down view the most. You could try to rotate the camera very smooth and slowly in the direction you are driving - a mix between top and chase view, basically.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 02:46:03 AM »

Added position tracking and lap counter UI stuff. Oh and I probably should have mentioned in the first post that it does up to 8 player split screen.

Here's a shot of the new stuff. Click to enlarge.

EddieBytes
Level 1

I have ideas, and I'm not afraid to use them

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 02:52:26 AM »

What amount of polish are you going for? They look rough now, but I guess that's the look you're going for if you are to finish this project and keep it short, right?

Check out our thread for Boltus
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 04:12:18 AM »

Looks awesome! I Don't mind the lofi visuals when the action is that intense.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 11:09:25 AM »

What amount of polish are you going for? They look rough now, but I guess that's the look you're going for if you are to finish this project and keep it short, right?
I'd say it's more to do with my level of art skills. Rough, untextured, low-poly models is about my level of skill. I'll do some polish at the end though.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 12:21:40 PM »

What's a racing game without starting lights?!

Adding this also involved rejigging the games internals to make starting races more sane.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2015, 02:03:56 PM »

Added the track select and car select menu screens today. Also the races can actually be won now and all the players are given final placings. Was pretty visually boring but also very important stuff, and means that there aren't any exciting gifs/screenshots this week.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:03:39 PM by Oddball » Logged

jusk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »

Always been a fan of these kinds of top-down racers. Had a quick go - looks great. Steering feel probably needs a bit of work - seems sluggish to me - slow to react, and then once it does start to react, it quickly turns into oversteer.

Looks promising though - love that it's local 8-player  Smiley

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »

Looks like we are working on pretty similar projects Smiley

I have local multiplayer too (currently hidden, as I need to rework the gui). not sure how many people could sensibly run it on split-screen though, getting all on one screen has other draw-backs. I bought 4 controllers, and the rest would be keyboard based. Or how are you planning on running 8 cars?

I love how your cars can crash and tumble, something I regret about the 2D choice I made. looking good!

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 03:14:01 AM »

I bought 4 controllers, and the rest would be keyboard based. Or how are you planning on running 8 cars?
Currently it's 8 controllers, or 6 controllers & 2 keyboard. I may add a third keyboard control set using the numpad, but I'm dev'ing on a laptop so don't have a numpad.

You get your finishing time as you cross the line now.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 05:24:44 AM »

I'm still working on this. Got sound effects, music and particles in. The sound effects are terrible, but the music and particle effects are good. I'll upload a build when I get some time/polish up the title screen. In the mean time here's a video.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 07:39:22 AM »

Added a minimap. Now I players can see how far ahead they are. Btw I'm running last in that gif.

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 08:16:56 AM »

I like it, simple and easy to read.

I love normal racing games like this, with no gimmicks such as guns. Looking forward to try it out.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 08:36:06 AM »

Thanks sionco. I should really update the build in the first post. Maybe tomorrow.

Skidding/wheel spinning now leaves tire marks. It really highlights where all the action happened during a race. They'll probably need a few optimisations before release but it runs fine on my laptop at the mo'.

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 08:49:22 AM »

Game looks fun! I actually like the style, but some particles, simple textures, and lighting could strengthen the simplistic style. Smiley

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 01:09:09 PM »

Thanks. I don't want to add textures, but it could benefit from some ambient occlusion. There's already plenty of particles in the game, but I will be 'juicing' it some more at the polishing stage.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2015, 03:36:53 PM »

So I added a new UI for during the race that shows position, lap, speed, lap time, and race time. I had the idea to make it look like a steering wheel as that's how F1 drivers get most of that info. Then I gave the racing AI a good ol' overhaul as I wasn't happy with their avoidance in the complex corners. They're still not perfect, but they do pretty well. Finally I spent some time beautifying the track. I added grandstands, tv screens that show the race, a couple of bridges over the track, and a start/finish line banner. Still need to add a lot more scenery, but at least it's a little less bare.

Here's a few screenshots.

This shows one of the big screens. They all work and show the race unfolding

Can you guess which racing circuit this track is modelled after?

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic