Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:05:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUndertale
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Undertale  (Read 51607 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2015, 05:30:36 AM »

cave story ripoff
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2015, 07:43:25 AM »

Every indie gam is a Cave Story ripoff
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2015, 07:50:00 AM »

anyway i decided i was being dum and taking the undersidetale way too seriously and picked it back up. this gam has freaking neat boss fights.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2015, 09:54:20 AM »

Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams Get ur art out of my gams
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2015, 10:15:56 AM »

fucking gamers

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »

Good job sorting the 100's of reddit comments by score and showcasing the lowest rated one Shrug

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2015, 10:32:12 AM »

almost done with it now

anyway, forget most of my misgivings, this game is mega rad. will post "review" when im actually done. also ty nillo for gifting it to me.

also who cares if a bunch of ppl have negative opinions of it, let them. reception seems to be overwhelmingly positive anyway.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2015, 11:36:26 AM »

anyway, forget most of my misgivings, this game is mega rad. will post "review" when im actually done. also ty nillo for gifting it to me.
I'm just doing my part to spread the undertale love Beer!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when you're done~

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »

anyway i decided i was being dum and taking the undersidetale way too seriously and picked it back up. this gam has freaking neat boss fights.

Good. Considering I ran a very similar run that you did, I have the feeling you took the internet comments too much to heart. Game is barely judgemental at all (altho in my replay i finally got to hang out with whats becoming one of my favorite chaacters, even if it rings a bit to be a vriska expy)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »

OK, FINISHED. here's my thoughts/"review"

• This game is exactly how "narrative" games ought to be done imo. Bend your rules to suit the narrative rather than trying to make the narrative fit a system. This "rollercoaster" style design is extremely enjoyable for this sort of game.
  • This the most original JRPG in a million years and there's nothing really like it (in any genre).
  • I didn't care for some of the humor and couldn't connect thaaat much with the characters, but the writing is still really enjoyable to read (not something you can say about a lot of vidgams especially JRPGs) and there are moments that are genuinely EMOSHUNAL.
  • The bullet hell combat is really nice
  • Sparing enemies is great and thankfully it's easy to flee from combat, so you don't have to go through the same sparing dialog over and over again if you don't want to
  • The boss fights are some of the best "gimmick bosses" I've ever seen. I think my faves were the various Mettaton fights, especially his final form. I audibly laughed when I found out that consuming MTT brand food raises ratings. Undyne and Asgore were neat too.
  • Lots of people claim the game looks "ugly" but I think it has plenty of visual charm. I'm also an art pleb tho so who knows.
  • One thing I can't understand is all the raving about the soundtrack. It sounds like pretty normal (if well-composed) JRPG music to me that fulfills its purpose but didn't really blow me away or anything. Keep in mind that I don't really like obviously "videogamey" sounding music in general tho, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • I have mixed feelings about flowey. On the one hand he adds another layer of depth to the story which is cool. But at the same time, the "meta horror"/creepypasta way in which the whole thing plays out also cheapens it a little, from my perspective.

This is a game that I did an almost complete 180 on over the course of my playthrough. I'm not sure if it's really one of the best games ever, but it's damn good and, like I said, there's nothing else quite like it out there. It's an experience that I'm glad I had.

I already started a pacifist run btw. Let's see if I can motivate myself to finish it.

EDIT: oh i forgot some things:

1. The puzzles are nothing to write home about, but they didnt annoy me. I don't think they were meant to be super challenging either.
2. This game is limited in scope, but feels very fully realized in almost all aspects.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:33:04 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2015, 05:29:17 PM »

I spoiled myself but the very last final boss has some depths too, but only relevant on the second playthorugh

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2015, 05:29:47 PM »

Some of the best tracks in the game only appear when playing a Pacifist or Genocide run.

I suspect some of the praise for the soundtrack, though, is because music is one of the developer's specialties (he gained notoriety through an Earthbound hack featuring self-composed music, and later by composing music for Homestuck).

It's also possible that you just have objectively bad taste.

A recommendation for future runs - think carefully about the characters, the items, and the conversations you've had and try to do ironic things, or break the game's logic. This is a great game to play thinking like a small child - many of the things a child would try to do actually give you results, where a standard RPG wouldn't make a connection (for example, the stick works as a reusable item in battle and many monsters throughout the game give unique reactions to it). You'll almost always be treated to amusing dialogue, and sometimes you'll even discover shortcuts and rewards. A huge part of the game is the amount of detail that's been put into each room, and how the developer has thought ahead to address lots of specific scenarios (such as playing the whole game while wearing the starting armor).
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2015, 05:41:49 PM »

There is lots of detail everywhere too

Most of the weapons and armors you find? They show up during your battle with flowey when you summon the other souls (the plastic knife, the ballet shoes, etc). There is the implication that all your equipment comes from the other killed humans.

Also, Alphys does hand gestures giving you all the answers to the quiz, even the absurd ones. Well, except for the one about her infatuation, as all answers are correct there.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2015, 10:59:16 PM »

damn, i didn't realize that about the armors and weapons at all. that's awesome. i guess that means those items belonged to the other humans who died in the underground, seeing as each of them is linked to freeing a soul during the flowey fight?

also are people serious when they say this isn't a RPG?  the gam is all about player choice and the narrative impact of your actions. you're even evaluated at the end based on what sort of role you played. doesn't get much more RPG than that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:23:34 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2015, 11:32:51 PM »

This is one of those games where after the first play through you'll find out all sorts of stuff about the game's storyline that aren't immediately obvious. There's such a complex nest of crazy and kinda disturbing things going on behind the scenes of everything.

And as much of a tryhard about art quality in games as I am, I actually have no problem with the 'lazy' art direction. It's nice to have something to easily rest my eyes on once in awhile, and the game has just enough going on that it doesn't look barren and hideous. things are pretty deliberate with this, it's pretty good despite a few kinda ugly things that show up.
(atleast nobody has to actually experience the So Sorry fight if they don't want to. what a fucking awful secret boss)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2015, 11:45:07 PM »

(what a fucking awful secret boss)
I suspect it was made a secret for exactly this reason. Backer asked for a shitty self-insert and Toby couldn't refuse, so he put the character in a place where most people are not going to see it.

The other backer reward boss is fantastic though (Muffet)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2015, 12:51:29 AM »

muffet was a backer reward? i would never have guessed that. what a good boss fight. also the only boss other than asgore i got kinda stumped on.

btw maybe this is just my inner fanboy speaking, but does this gam remind anyone else a little of the souls games storywise? i mean even beyond the fact that the story is literally about souls and undyne looks like ornstein lol. otoh betrayal, bait and switch and "secret puppetmaster" style plots are a common-ish trope in videogames these days so maybe just coincidence.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:04:24 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2015, 01:04:21 AM »

muffet was a backer reward? i would never have guessed that. what a good boss fight.
Yep! Muffet was designed by avasdemon. I really like how it turned out. The character, music and mechanics, everything comes together for a super enjoyable fight.

It's also cool how Muffet has her own subplot with the spider bakesale (despite having little relevance to the main story).

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2015, 01:16:34 AM »

the only boss other than asgore i got kinda stumped on.
I watched a couple of streams where people were trying to do a pacifist run and got stuck on Undyne because they didn't realize they were supposed to listen to what she is saying at the start of the battle. As long as you are GREEN you cannot ESCAPE!

One of them replayed the fight like a dozen times without understanding what to do and it got a bit awkward towards the end haha. But I think it's important to let them figure out on their own.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2015, 01:32:58 AM »

oh yeah i found that by accident basically. that boss was pretty much destroying me and the fight wouldnt end so i checked my options and noticed you could flee. that's when it dawned on me.

i am pretty bad at this bullet hell stuff btw. i never figured out how to correctly dodge asgore's weaving bullet pattern and idk how its humanly possible to dodge his spear combo unless youre lucky and he does the same attack throughout it. now i know why i gave up shmups ages ago haha. thankfully undertale isnt very hardcore so even a scrub like me could beat it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 01:38:30 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic