Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:56:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame recommendations thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Game recommendations thread  (Read 9673 times)
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2015, 11:29:00 PM »

Here's an obscure one, I don't know if I can explain this very well BUT

Can anyone think of games that are kinda open to explore and have a day/night cycle that makes the game world feel alive. Like where certain things happen at certain times in each in game day. Maybe I'm not being very clear so some examples off the top of my head are: TES: Morrowind, TES: Oblivion and Majoras Mask.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:49 PM »

Chulip.  It's a really weird (and endearing) adventure game where you have to get every person in town to let you kiss them, usually by helping them out in some way.  It's got a day and night cycle, and a lot of what you can do at any given time depends on the time of day.

Also, thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2015, 02:41:08 AM »

Can anyone think of games that are kinda open to explore and have a day/night cycle that makes the game world feel alive. Like where certain things happen at certain times in each in game day. Maybe I'm not being very clear so some examples off the top of my head are: TES: Morrowind, TES: Oblivion and Majoras Mask.

deadly premonition, shenmue, gothic, some of the pokemon games (don't remember which), ultima series starting with 5

also i guess animal crossing and harvest moon tho its debatable how "open to explore" those are

"npc schedules" is the term you want to google
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2015, 02:46:14 AM »

Btw, any more input on what the best Harvest Moon is? My post kinda got paged.

I've only really played Rune Factory 2 and I have 2 of them for PSP (Innocent Life and Hero of Leaf Valley) picked up during a PSN sale. Both of them don't seem that great but I didn't get very far into them admittedly.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2015, 05:07:52 AM »

Brave fencer musashi was a really cool zelda-like for the ps1 that had a day and night cycle with npcs routines similar to majoras mask. It was also awesome.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2015, 09:39:55 AM »

I really want to play Brave Fencer Musashi. Top 3 most wanted PS1 game.

Does anyone know of any top down games with scary/creepy atmospheres? I was just going to say just JRPGs since this post is inspired by Sweet Home and The Mother series but I decided to expand it a bit.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2015, 01:50:06 PM »

Brave Fencer Musashi is a masterpiece that everyone should play. It's a shame the sequel couldn't live up to the original.

Does anyone know of any top down games with scary/creepy atmospheres? I was just going to say just JRPGs since this post is inspired by Sweet Home and The Mother series but I decided to expand it a bit.

VGPerson does translations of freeware Japanese RPG-maker horror games. The Witch's House has been on my to-play list for a while on a recommendation from a good friend, but I haven't played it yet.

Anodyne is by our own Sean Hogan / Seagaia. Mechanically it's like the gameboy Zelda titles but with bizarre, eerie settings.

Yume Nikki is a great choice that emphasizes exploration instead of puzzles and combat but takes places in a creepy atmosphere. If you've never played it, you need to. It's the best of the bunch, loaded with content, and freeware to boot.
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2015, 03:21:31 PM »

I really want to play Brave Fencer Musashi. Top 3 most wanted PS1 game.

Rainblood: Town of Blood is an old rpgmaker game with a dark atmosphere based on chinese mythology. It has an unique art style and difficult battle system, but is also very short and I don't know how easy it's to buy this game right now. It was planned to be the first of a series of games, but I think it stopped there.

I want to try Darkwood, a top down survival horror rpg. Keep in mind that it's an early access game.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2015, 05:30:33 PM »

Thank you Niko and SousaVilla.

I hear that Brave Fencer Musashi 2 showed how much Square has fallen in quality since the PS1 days.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2015, 08:39:23 PM »

I didn't even know Brave Fencer Musashi 2 existed. Sounds like I'm not missing much, I guess. Seconding the recommendation of the first one; it's really stupendous.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2015, 01:17:01 AM »

i need more games specifically like super monkey ball 2 (1 as well, but absolutely not the post-amusement vision games)and umihara kawase, if you can think of any: specifically, i'm looking for games that prioritize simple controls with ideally physics-focused mechanics that allow for complexity, arcade progression with a lives system, levels featuring unusual gimmicks/creative architecture, medium-high to extreme difficulty, and ideally multiple pathways/skill goals allowing for warps or the like. i know that's very specific but these are probably my favorite video games of all time for various reasons and i want to play as many as i can

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2015, 03:14:34 AM »

i need more games specifically like super monkey ball 2 (1 as well, but absolutely not the post-amusement vision games)and umihara kawase, if you can think of any: specifically, i'm looking for games that prioritize simple controls with ideally physics-focused mechanics that allow for complexity, arcade progression with a lives system, levels featuring unusual gimmicks/creative architecture, medium-high to extreme difficulty, and ideally multiple pathways/skill goals allowing for warps or the like. i know that's very specific but these are probably my favorite video games of all time for various reasons and i want to play as many as i can

While it doesn't meet all your criteria, Kid Chameleon for the Genesis has arcade-style mechanics (limited lives and score and no save system) and is notable for an Umihara Kawase-style progression with over a hundred levels connected by lots of warps.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2015, 04:41:19 AM »

Ristar and Mischief Makers probably.
quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2015, 12:14:42 AM »

YO Thanks for the recommendations dudes, I'll check em OUT.

I remember seeing chulip and thinking it looked up my alley. Something about being able to explore a game world at different times of day just really draws me to it, hard to explain but there's something about the atmosphere of exploring a town/city at night is super cool to me.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2015, 07:06:46 PM »

Btw, any more input on what the best Harvest Moon is? My post kinda got paged.

I've only really played Rune Factory 2 and I have 2 of them for PSP (Innocent Life and Hero of Leaf Valley) picked up during a PSN sale. Both of them don't seem that great but I didn't get very far into them admittedly.
hey ca, i gotchu.
i agree with the last guy as far as older titles go. back to nature and (more) friends of mineral town are tops. but they're also basically the same game. confusingly, the harvest moon boy and girl title on psp is basically the same game as back to nature, which is also available on psn. i think boy and girl is the way to go there, since the girl content isn't in the original.

but... those games are pretty barebones and don't have a lot of the conveniences of the more recent titles. a new beginning for the 3ds is really good, but it has an excruciatingly slow (even for a harvest moon game) start. however, the systems in the game are really good and captures some of what i like most about the mineral valley games. story of seasons looks to be a direct sequel to that game, more or less. i haven't played it but i've heard good things. rune factory 4 is probably the best of the recent games, though. it's pretty maximalist in design and has the weeby waifu stuff, but if you lean into it you'll have a good time, probably, especially if you've played rune factory 2.

innocent life is trash. good idea in theory, but man it blows. leaf valley is also kinda bad, but not as bad as innocent life. any moon where you can't marry is a bad moon.

bottom line: if you want an older, more pure hm experience, play (more) friends of mineral town on the gba. if you want something fresher, play a new beginning or maybe story of seasons on 3ds. if you want anime waifu fun times plus the best systems in the series, play rune factory 4 on 3ds.

bye

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2015, 07:49:59 PM »

check out ballance on pc. you might have to torrent it since it's pretty rare but it's worth it.

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2015, 11:19:09 PM »

Neverball ?

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2015, 09:09:43 AM »

Quote from: Tanner
bottom line: if you want an older, more pure hm experience, play (more) friends of mineral town on the gba.

HM 64 cuts even more of the fat. I prefer the music and atmosphere as well, but I'm biased.
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2015, 09:30:08 AM »

this thread is great; been playing some of the suggestions from here and I must say you all have good taste.

Can you guys recommend a small rpg kind of game (not jrpg), preferably 2d, with a good story?

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »

Quote from: Tanner
bottom line: if you want an older, more pure hm experience, play (more) friends of mineral town on the gba.

HM 64 cuts even more of the fat. I prefer the music and atmosphere as well, but I'm biased.
My understanding was that Back to Nature was a port of 64, which was then ported to GBA as Friends of Mineral Town. I haven't played 64, though, so I'm just going on things I've read. I'll check it out soon.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic