Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:20:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRobot Dinosaurs That Shoot Beams When They Roar
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Robot Dinosaurs That Shoot Beams When They Roar  (Read 6895 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:40:19 PM »

Or RDTSBWTR for short, obviously.

Okay so this is a game I've been making for a little over a week, and I want to finish it this week. Most of that time is animation. It's based on old ridiculous cartoons from the 80's like Transformers, Silverhawks, Dinosaucers, Tigersharks, Thundercats, Street Sharks, Biker Mice from Mars, all that dumbass retro vibe. That's what I was going for.

It's about 80% done. Some of the artwork's temporary, there's one playable guy, there's no ending, and most importantly: There's no ROAR sound. Any voice actors on here? Oh- Speaking of which: Do I need voices for that intro, or was it fine?

I thought I'd ask for feedback now instead of right at the end of the project when I want to stop working on it and get it published. Y'know- Do the beams feel badass enough, should the dinosaurs be more awesome, is it too slow, is the title animation 80's enough, how can I make it funnier, etc.

I SUMMON JPEGISAUGH, THE GOD OF SCREENSHOTS.

CHECK IT OUT
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:49:55 PM by I_smell » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »

Kiss

This game is... beyond words. Really. In a good way.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »

Kiss

This game is... beyond words. Really. In a good way.
Hehe I know what you mean. The beginning cutscene was hilarious. It was like it was making fun of the Transformers movie except the guy got killed just like Shia should have in the movie. The game played great but the problem was the music. The menu music pulled for 5 seconds, which left me begging for more and the in game music only played once. I got cut off and had to stop to answer the door so I can't really say more about that until I beat Robot Din...the hell with trying to finish saying that. lol Oh and having a character named Dinomite was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 05:22:58 PM »

Ok, this is is thematically brilliant, with wonderful stylistic sensibilities. I like the music A LOT.

There is no roar sound as you said. This must be remedied ASAP as I think it will greatly enhance the gameplay experience and reinforce the game's artistic direction for the player and you as a designer.

I appreciate the simplicity of the gameplay. Two things I noted: I often found my cursor to be distracting while controlling the dino. Any way to hide it? And secondly, I found I could keep up a near-continuous full blast beam by rapidly clicking the mouse. This is after I had played for a while just alternating between holding and charging. I thought the game was a lot more fun the alternating way, but rapidly clicking made it way easier. You should look into this I suppose.

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 05:39:01 PM »

Okay this is pretty good feedback.

Hehe I know what you mean. The beginning cutscene was hilarious. It was like it was making fun of the Transformers movie except the guy got killed just like Shia should have in the movie.

I wasn't particularly thinking of that, but funny you should mention it: I want the last line in the game to be Tyrannosaurus X saying "During my short stay on this planet I've come to realise that these humans, like us, are... DINO-TASTIC!!" because that last line in Transformers is hillariously stupid.

The in-game music only plays once- I don't know what that means.It plays until you get to the boss, then some new music starts- Or it should. Does it?

Menu music- You mean like the title music where you INSERT COIN? I wanted that to be a short riff. I could've used a loop, but most people are only gonna be there for a few seconds, and I could only get the impact I wanted out of a quick solo. Loops are usually kind of generic and dull.

Oh and I meant to change that character's name to DINOMIGHT. Maybe that's one too many puns packed into one word though, I don't know.

Ok, this is is thematically brilliant, with wonderful stylistic sensibilities. I like the music A LOT.

There is no roar sound as you said. This must be remedied ASAP as I think it will greatly enhance the gameplay experience and reinforce the game's artistic direction for the player and you as a designer.

I appreciate the simplicity of the gameplay. Two things I noted: I often found my cursor to be distracting while controlling the dino. Any way to hide it? And secondly, I found I could keep up a near-continuous full blast beam by rapidly clicking the mouse. This is after I had played for a while just alternating between holding and charging. I thought the game was a lot more fun the alternating way, but rapidly clicking made it way easier. You should look into this I suppose.
I really DO need a roar. The first thing I thought of was that it'd be funny for the roar sound to just be a guy saying RRRRAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWRRRR!!! with an echo n it. It's important, I would've recorded it by now but my house in never empty. I might throw out plea for someone to do it online.

Is your cursor onscreen? It's scripted to be hidden. Did you right-click? Cos that un-hides it. Are you using a Mac or something? It should be hidden.

I never noticed you could cheat the beam like that. I'll fix it somehow. Maybe I can make the initial click take off a bit more DINOFORCE.
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 05:52:06 PM »

Great work!  The opening cartoon was a little off-putting, but if you can clean up the linework, it'll probably be okay - it should remind people of the Hanna-Barbera animation style, after all.  I don't think you need voice acting for the initial cutscene.

The actual game itself looks quite slick.  I'd suggest flipping the Dino-Force mechanic around to be more like the R-type style.  If you just click the button, there's no roar and you just get a weak beam.  If you hold the button down, you charge the beam, to the max that your bar holds, and at max strength there's an earth-shattering ROAR, and the beam lasts for a good few seconds of incinerating awesomeness.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »

OH, and some other notes:

The boss still shoots as it is dying, and it sometimes shoots lasers when spinning in its super fast mode around the screen, making an impossible to block attack.
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »

this game has silver surfer syndrome Durr...? (harmless walls should npt be able to kill bobot dinosaurs, especially if they have lasers.)

also, I think there is something a leetle farlty when it comes to however your grabbing input. sometimes my beam just stays on, and I loose control of the dino.

other than that, great job!   Hand Thumbs Up LeftGrin:handmetalR:
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »

The walls stop you from staying right on the bottom of the screen and cheating. Also they add more challenge to some parts.

Tbere's a powerup that makes you shoot a giant dinobeam for a few seconds without clicking, so maybe that's that. Losing control of the robot dinosaur: Maybe you moved the mouse outside of the screen. See if it still happens.

impossible
It's not impossible.

The actual game itself looks quite slick.  I'd suggest flipping the Dino-Force mechanic around to be more like the R-type style.  If you just click the button, there's no roar and you just get a weak beam.  If you hold the button down, you charge the beam, to the max that your bar holds, and at max strength there's an earth-shattering ROAR, and the beam lasts for a good few seconds of incinerating awesomeness.

If I animated the intro to look like a real  80s cartoon, it'd take ages. I don't think I'm technically good enough to do that- Or at least don't have the patience for a game this small. Yeah I'll clean it up though.

I've never played R-Type. I don't think the small dinobeam would work, because the regular dinobeam is like a straight line from one end of the screen to the other. So if you shot a small dinobeam, then a regular dinobeam, you wouldn't be able to even see the small one. Unless it was really fast, which wouldn't work for technical blah blah.

The huge beam is a good idea though. I'd probably get away with just changing the graphics when you're at over 90% DINOFORCE and making the camera shake more.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 06:05:53 PM »

Okay this is pretty good feedback.

Hehe I know what you mean. The beginning cutscene was hilarious. It was like it was making fun of the Transformers movie except the guy got killed just like Shia should have in the movie.

I wasn't particularly thinking of that, but funny you should mention it: I want the last line in the game to be Tyrannosaurus X saying "During my short stay on this planet I've come to realise that these humans, like us, are... DINO-TASTIC!!" because that last line in Transformers is hillariously stupid.

I forgot the last line in Transformers but this reminds me that Transformers has the ABSOLUTE worst dialogue out of any movie I enjoy. I rolled my eyes so hard everytime the 'What! What! You eyeing my piece 50 Cent because I will bust you up.' Rewatch that crappy dialogue scene to inspire something extremely cheesy for Tyrannosaurus X to say.

The in-game music only plays once- I don't know what that means.It plays until you get to the boss, then some new music starts- Or it should. Does it?

Oh..you didn't know?! It really only plays once. Half the stage was way to quiet (in fact, that reminds me that Dinos needs more SFX period.) And the boss music (which was DINO-AWESOME!!!!) take a while to start playing.

Menu music- You mean like the title music where you INSERT COIN? I wanted that to be a short riff. I could've used a loop, but most people are only gonna be there for a few seconds, and I could only get the impact I wanted out of a quick solo. Loops are usually kind of generic and dull.

Well you could have had the riff play and then some title music. I'm all for players NOT having any reason to stay at the title screen (I'm even against demos playing when the player is idle heh) but it just makes the title screen seem a little bit too dull without it. I think Title Screens make people subconsciously look forward to replaying a game. IDK

Oh and I meant to change that character's name to DINOMIGHT. Maybe that's one too many puns packed into one word though, I don't know.

No it's not. heh heh

I really DO need a roar. The first thing I thought of was that it'd be funny for the roar sound to just be a guy saying RRRRAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWRRRR!!! with an echo n it. It's important, I would've recorded it by now but my house in never empty. I might throw out plea for someone to do it online.

Is your cursor onscreen? It's scripted to be hidden. Did you right-click? Cos that un-hides it. Are you using a Mac or something? It should be hidden.

I never noticed you could cheat the beam like that. I'll fix it somehow. Maybe I can make the initial click take off a bit more DINOFORCE.
Yeah I read his comment and used the infinite DINOFORCE scream to blast through the level. That's definitely one problem. As for the cursor, it's completely invisible for me.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 06:45:39 PM »

this is several flavors of awesome

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »

I've never played R-Type. I don't think the small dinobeam would work, because the regular dinobeam is like a straight line from one end of the screen to the other. So if you shot a small dinobeam, then a regular dinobeam, you wouldn't be able to even see the small one. Unless it was really fast, which wouldn't work for technical blah blah.

Well, what I mean is this:

* Tap fire: you get a short-lived (1 second small beam, or maybe a single shot.
* Hold fire: you don't fire anything, but a ball of energy forms in the dinosaur's mouth.
* Release fire: the longer you charged it, the louder the roar and the longer-lasting/more damaging the resulting beam is.

As for the animation, just cleaning it up should be plenty.  When you think of 'classic 80s animation', you're probably remembering it better than it actually was.    Wink

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 07:00:41 PM »

this is several flavors of awesome
Like TYRANNOSTRAWBERRY X!! Or or DINOCHOCOLATE!! Or or..

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Tom Sennett
Level 3

Indie Game Legend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 08:26:40 PM »

pteriyakidactyl

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 03:03:21 AM »

Velociraspberry.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »

Steak-asaurus.

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »

Evil my god thats awesome robots, dinosaurs what not to like

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 01:11:41 PM »

Velociraspberry.
I assume this flavor gives you heartburn fast.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 03:50:12 PM »

This, my friend, is amazing.  Gentleman

Just one note: When battling the boss you can take your mouse off of the screen, allowing the dino to hover ion the corner, avoiding him altogether.  Maybe you should put up a wall or something when you get into the last battle.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic