Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:44:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessBusiness is hard work
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Business is hard work  (Read 3724 times)
lordmetroid
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 04, 2009, 04:48:49 PM »

I doubt I can even keep a job as a wage slave for any longer of time. I tried getting jobs before applying left and right but merely a telemarketing was all I could get. Shithole as it was with the totalitarian regime, mind-numbing boring endless calls to people who do not appreciate being called is more than what my self esteem could handle, I quit after a summer worth of work and went back to school again.

I so want to be independently working for myself, cashing in enough to be able to at least move out from my parents home(still living with them at age 26 and working in their retail store for minimum wage. I want enough money to be able to run my own life and go on vacations to foreign countries, have culinary and other enjoyable experiences. Figure out how to approach and date women and get family.

But I am not running a business of my own. In between customers at the retails store(getting very few customers a day) I have lots of time to do what I wish. Most of the time I am doing nothing constructive to build my own business at all. Maybe I get one or two hours of work on my own projects a day if I even work on my projects at the day. I am a a good for nothing piece of shit.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 06:02:16 PM »

Step 1: Build an automated aeroponics farm.
Step 2: Build a small solar power plant
Step 3: ?
Step 4: Independence
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »

Step 1: Build an automated aeroponics farm.
Step 2: Build a small solar power plant
Step 3: magic occurs
Step 4: Independence

also business is, in fact, serious business

good luck to you in your endeavors, good sir

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 07:10:44 PM »

I'm not sure what the point of this topic is. It seems more like a personal rant than a discussion topic. Did you have a question about how to start an indie game business or something?

lordmetroid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 07:25:11 PM »

No, no questions, I know what I have to do except maybe for marketing and promoting but I am not even at that point as I don't even have an intro screen to show for.

This is simply a rant. Publicly ranting cause I don't have any special person to rant for.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »

I see. It sounds to me (especially in the final paragraph in your original post) like you're setting yourself up to fail from the get-go. You have to be motivated and want to succeed, or you may just get in your own way and sabotage yourself unconsciously. This is just an impression based on that paragraph so it might be wrong.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »

So are you saying that you have plenty of time to do stuff, but you just slack off?

Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 01:53:23 AM »

But I am not running a business of my own. In between customers at the retails store(getting very few customers a day) I have lots of time to do what I wish. Most of the time I am doing nothing constructive to build my own business at all. Maybe I get one or two hours of work on my own projects a day if I even work on my projects at the day.

To me it seems like you still did not find a field or domain that really triggers your interest and motivation. Maybe that'd be a first step, to really find out what you like and want to do (and yes that is a hard step and might take time) and from there things should be easier, since your work with your interests, not against or besides them.

Per aspera ad astra
lordmetroid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 02:22:37 AM »

So are you saying that you have plenty of time to do stuff, but you just slack off?
Exactly, you hit the nail.

To me it seems like you still did not find a field or domain that really triggers your interest and motivation. Maybe that'd be a first step, to really find out what you like and want to do (and yes that is a hard step and might take time) and from there things should be easier, since your work with your interests, not against or besides them.
Relative to other fields of production, this is the field I know.At times it is really fun and I can't stop. Now however it is not fun at all, at the moment, I don't seem to like doing anything, except there is a paradox, I neither like doing nothing. Of all things possible game production is what I like most.
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 02:28:54 AM »

Do you like to work with people? Do you like to work with machines? Do you like to work with/in the nature?

Would you like work that supports other people? Do you like creative work, problem solving, construction, or rather more simple tasks?

I don't know if those are the right questions, but maybe it gives an idea how to approach the problem ... find out what you'd like to do. I think it is important to find these answers first and then see what options for business are in those fields.

Per aspera ad astra
dc2005
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 05:13:42 AM »

Exactly, you hit the nail.
Get a team, that always helps. Or a job in the industry, then you can save your money while you are learning and then you can quit to make your own games...
I used to be a procrastinator too... now I'm full time making games Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 07:31:40 AM »

It's possible the problem is biological -- your energy could be low for other reasons, such as not getting enough exercise, not having a good diet, and so on. Those things affect energy level quite a bit.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 08:30:58 AM »

I learnt a while back that motivation is a myth. People decide whether or not to do something first then make up the reasons why they did, or didn't, do it later. Once I realised this my output went through the roof. It's simple, when faced with the decision of whether or not to do something either do it or don't, and forget about all the excuses.

You can either be a person who does stuff or a person who doesn't, but whining about which you are won't change the fact.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »

That's true in part, and I agree that motivation in the sense of waiting for inspiration to strike before doing anything or having to "be in the mood" to do something is a bad view of how productivity works, but at the same time, bad habits and addictions to distractions (youtube, forums, etc.) often aren't a matter of decision, and can become automatic, embedded in ones autonomous nervous system almost. Will power is definitely useful in breaking free of that. But other external factors besides will power can help, such as having a team, putting your game in playtesting early so there's reason to constantly work on it since other people will know you're slacking off, making a daily to-do list and sticking to it (even if it's very short and simple), and so on.

Christian223
Level 1

DRAGON was robot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »

It's possible the problem is biological -- your energy could be low for other reasons, such as not getting enough exercise, not having a good diet, and so on. Those things affect energy level quite a bit.

I agree. I used to procrastrinate a lot when i starte making my first game, a year ago, but i got over it by making excersize all days, sleeping better by turning off my electronic devices that made little but constant buzzing noise, making sure i recieved fresh air to my room, changing my diet, and reading the bible. I did that and learned to gain a flow of work, i also learned the things that made me loose focus and avoid them. I have also gained motivation because even if you like game making, you loose motivation when facing obstacles, or working on one single thing for more than a year.

I wish you good luck lordmetroid, dont speak like that to yourself becuase it demoralizes you and you loose energy and motivation, stay positive to fuel your energy and take care of yourself. 
lordmetroid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »

Aye, thank you for the advice specially yours Christian223, I shall try to avoid demoralizing myself.
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 01:12:13 AM »

Good luck lordmetroid!

There will be a positive self-feedback, once you achieved something, you get the feeling of "yes, I can do it" and from there it's easier to step forward.

One thing that I learned: Persistence helps a lot to achieve things, maybe more than talent or skill.

Per aspera ad astra
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic