Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412073 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58484 Members - Latest Member: bigdog243

June 25, 2024, 09:47:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Arcade Football
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Super Arcade Football  (Read 5558 times)
OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:31:55 AM »

Super Arcade Football is out on Steam Early Access!

Demo now available on itch.io!
https://outofthebit.itch.io/super-arcade-football

We’ve just launched our new game Super Arcade Football on Greenlight today, and felt now’s a good time to start a dev log, so…. here we go!

It takes obvious inspiration from classics like Sensible and Kick-Off, but we wanted to make a football game with an emphasis on quick arcade action, local multiplayer (currently up to 4 people) and to make it easier to make really satisfying goals.

We’ve spent a long time getting the feel of the game right, the controls are pretty fluid and players can make some quite slick passes. We added a slow-motion power shot that allows the shooter to bend the ball, but also gives the defending player the time to try and stop them.

We built the prototype from scratch in C, by @aliMotisi. @arnaud_de_bock is doing the graphical graphics and I, @quistard, am doing the audio.

We have since moved over to Unity to make animations, online play and porting support easier.

Development-wise, we have made some useful tools. We have a game-looping-system where we can loop the game state and change anything we want in the game live without re-building (A trick learnt from Handmade Hero )

We are expecting to spend a good amount of time on this project, seeing as it’s our first console/PC game; so we are trying to be as open and responsive as possible, so if you have the time we’d really appreciate you checking out our page and giving us any feedback / suggestions you have!

This is us on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/420550
And this was our greenlight page:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539056398

Thanks for reading.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:03:20 AM by OutOfTheBit » Logged
lobstersteve
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »

seems really fun Smiley
never understood not-super-intense-unrealistic sports games.
nickgravelyn
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 04:31:24 PM »

Looks really cool. Given most screens are 16:9 is there a reason you chose to play vertically rather than horizontally?
OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 01:30:34 AM »

Looks really cool. Given most screens are 16:9 is there a reason you chose to play vertically rather than horizontally?

That's a really good point and something we are considering to be an option for the player. When designing it originally, we liked the obstruction in view as it makes it a bit more intense than knowing exactly where all your players are.

Thanks for the interest!
nickgravelyn
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 06:59:12 AM »

That's a really good point and something we are considering to be an option for the player. When designing it originally, we liked the obstruction in view as it makes it a bit more intense than knowing exactly where all your players are.

Thanks for the interest!
That's a good way to add some difficulty. I wouldn't worry about the option unless you think it really adds to the game. I was just curious about the reasoning. Smiley
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 07:19:49 AM »

Doesn't look like this'll have any problem getting through Greenlight, it's certainly got some serious polish already, with a serious Sensible Soccer feel to it. I voted anyway!

I'm also glad you went with 'football' rather than 'soccer'.

OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 08:17:07 AM »

Doesn't look like this'll have any problem getting through Greenlight, it's certainly got some serious polish already, with a serious Sensible Soccer feel to it. I voted anyway!

I'm also glad you went with 'football' rather than 'soccer'.

Haha Thanks! Football all the way! We've still got a bit to do in terms of features and polish, but the core part of the game is pretty much locked. We'll have a free demo soon for download, so I'll update this when we do  Grin
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 08:27:43 AM »

Really cool! Reminds me of Italia '90 on the megadrive... showing my age here. Voted on GL, hope it goes smoothly for you guys!
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 01:31:21 PM »

Looks great!
 I like the idea of being able to create teams and cups, I think that'll help it create a community too, there are still website for updating Sensible Soccer!

OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 01:29:16 AM »

Had a great time at GameCity, the game had a really good response from kids, adults and all the people in between. So we are really chuffed and now working towards getting the demo finished. We also met some really cool devs too and played some great games.

As for the greenlight, it seems to be going well; we have amassed almost 2,000 yes votes and are currently sitting #27 in all the games, which feels good. We are amazed at how enthusiastic the Steam Community are as well, the comments, feedback and overall support is really nice to have, so we are very happy and want to continue this good start.

One of the main problems we noticed when watching people play the game for the first time was our player selection. At first play, most people found it hard to know which player they were controlling, and not many remembered they had the option to change player with the bumper button, so this will be something to review, and if any of you had any suggestions we'd be happy to hear them.

But on a good note, there were people who played who absolutely took to the game and could destroy us 5-0 if we played them!
OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 06:53:57 AM »

WE'VE BEEN GREENLIT!!

Super happy and excited to be on Steam, we are just filling out the 'next steps' forms and beaming with joy!

Maybe it would be useful for yet another post about our Greenlight experiece...

We put the game up on Greenlight last week and are pleasantly surprised to be accepted so early. We noticed we had a really strong start with votes and comments and this seemed to be quite consistent for most of the time. The past 2 days we noticed the votes started to dwindle and started to get sad at seeing our top #25 spot slip a couple of places.

We figured we were no longer on the recent submission pages, and that our time featured was over. So we did our best to ethically promote our greenlight page as much as possible, which was a good idea as we then found a nice little boost in votes, and gained a few places to #21!. Whether or not we would have been greenlit anyway we don't know, but we are now so who cares!

Anyway, thanks for everyones support, we are very excited to finish this game!

We will still be updating this thread with the development of the game, the hard work continues!
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 07:16:34 AM »

Hah amazing! I remember sensible soccer very fondly depsite being so bad at it, hope I'd be better at playing this :p

OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 07:47:59 AM »

Hah amazing! I remember sensible soccer very fondly depsite being so bad at it, hope I'd be better at playing this :p
Yeah, the controls for SAF are quite forgiving, we want the game to feel quite easy to control, so players focus more on really nice shots and quick passing/tackling. We'll let you know when the demo is out  Smiley
UmutD
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 08:21:36 AM »

Great to hear it, seems like my dream football game Smiley

OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 04:23:38 AM »

Just thought I'd update this to let everyone know that we are looking for Beta testers to join our closed beta. If you fancy breaking our game, please email:

demo at SuperArcadeFootball dot com  (sorry get so much spam recently)

Please mention your name and whether your Mac or PC

Should have a build ready to test in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers!
OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2015, 08:31:55 AM »

Another development update!

We've made lots of progress on Super Arcade, notably we have combined our own custom editor Stork with Unity3D, and we are really happy with the possibilities this has allowed us. The main reason for choosing to combine Unity with Stork is the ease of porting and great 3D support, it took us about a week of testing to finally decide on this workflow, and things have really progressed.
Animations use to be drawn frame by frame by our artist @Arnaud_Debock (which although had their own charm, took a while to create as each frame needed to be drawn 8 times - one for each direction)
But not we can animate our sprites with Unity things are looking a lot smoother and satisfying:   

This also means that we can support a whole bunch of hair/shirt styles and all the colours we want! (It took a lot of convincing the artist the importance of Southampton wearing red and white stripes!)

In other news we have announced that we will be hitting Early Access on Steam sometime at the beginning of next year which is very, very exciting. Before that, we want to have a solid version with good AI and local multiplayer support, and build on to it from there with the ideas and input from the community.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »

How does making a curved shot work in this game?
Do you plan to add anything super-natural or things that would be impossible in real life?
I'm a bit nervous about you guys sustaining an online community throughout your time in Early Access, it's very hard.
OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2015, 09:29:49 AM »

How does making a curved shot work in this game?
Do you plan to add anything super-natural or things that would be impossible in real life?
I'm a bit nervous about you guys sustaining an online community throughout your time in Early Access, it's very hard.
You curl the ball with aftertouch after you give it a big kick, feels good.
And Yes, we will definitely have crazy features in the game which can be applied via modifiers (but don't have to if you want to play classic football)
Regarding the community, the Greenlight went pretty well and lots of people seemed to be interested(although that doesn't mean it will translate over to EA), but with each update we will be incorporating new stuff and features suggested by the community, and plan to host online tournaments, competitions etc that should also help keep people involved.
Do you have any advice on this part of Early Access? Would be really cool to hear your experiences Smiley
OutOfTheBit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 07:14:07 AM »

We are taking a week off for Christmas, but things are still on track.

We have fully migrated our game code and vector engine over to Unity, and have implemented a new system for editing and reading all the data for the Football clubs. This system also includes all the players in the teams skills, appearance and other useful stuff. So far, we are starting with national teams, then will move onto clubs!

The players are all starting to look unique from each other, and it makes the game feel much more satisfying.

See you in a week or two!

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 07:31:46 PM »

I want so badly to play a demo of this.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic