Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:32:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFrancis and the Quest for the Five Magic Space Balls
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Francis and the Quest for the Five Magic Space Balls  (Read 4531 times)
wuuthrer
Level 0

I draw stuff, I make games, I like it dirty

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2015, 12:37:14 AM »

I want to hug your screen title.

Looks fun!

- Don't Kill Her -
  No choice is given, but the rest belongs to us.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2015, 10:07:08 AM »

@wuuther
Hugs all around! Thanks a ton.

@DizzyDoo
For right now, planets will be one screen, and then interiors will scroll.
Unless I can figure out how to seamlessly scroll the room to feel like it's on a cylinder.
lobstersteve
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »

I like the desert planet a lot. And also how the desert level resembles the zoomed out version of the planet ..or in reverse Smiley
..it's missing sand people tho http://zandapanda.com/TuskenRaider-ReferenceSm.jpg
Canned Turkey
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 11:05:49 AM »

A sand people reference may or may not have been written on my to-do list.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »

The ancient temple of the five four cosmic gurus.
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 11:55:40 PM »

whimper woof woof... bark! Wwwwoof woof bark bark bark grr  Hand Metal Left

Canned Turkey
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2015, 01:57:03 PM »

Thanks Coffee

Happy thanksgiving!
Today I'm thankful that I finally got doors working.

lobstersteve
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 01:46:41 AM »

Oh man, i start really liking the project.
It has the charme of one of those really good point & click adventures from my childhood  Smiley
Canned Turkey
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 09:32:40 PM »

Thanks Steve!

So I can't really show it, but something cool I've done recently is I added support for up to 15 points in conversations with other characters. This is over double the previous 7, and I'm glad I don't have to worry about running out of space anymore.
I've also been working on more planets, here's an ice planet that is basically finished.

Obviously it still needs to be populated with characters and buildings.

Also, I won't be adding the skies into the planet backgrounds until I have finalized all of the other planets, so that's why it looks a tad empty.

To wrap up this update, I'll also say I've found music! audionautix.com is a lesser known royalty free site that has quality stuff, and it fits the style I'm aiming for.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2015, 08:22:39 PM »

It feels good to finally start working on the main part of the game.
I want this game to be a chill experience where the player can just explore the galaxy and talk to interesting characters.
I've started honing in on an overall style, so I've made a group of characters to inhabit the snow planet, the Pengins.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »

Someone on the GIF thread said I shouldn't make the characters flip so much, so here that is.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 11:20:36 AM »

Fiddlesticks.

Okay, so apparently you need a really nice computer to compile high resolution assets in a timely manner.
By a timely manner, I mean less than five minutes per compile, even with all the texture pages sorted nicely.

So here's a list of things that will be happening soon(ish), but probably after the current semester because school.

1) The game will be started over from scratch so I can make it at a proper indiegame resolution (400x225 480x270!)
2) The music will be chiptunes because I like working with my brother and he likes revenue.
3) The sounds will be 8-bit because 8-bit sounds can be generated, so that's one less thing I have to worry about.

Although this major change will set me back, in the long run it's actually saving a lot of time.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 12:44:35 PM by Canned Turkey » Logged
lobstersteve
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 03:18:36 PM »

1) The game will be started over from scratch so I can make it at a proper indiegame resolution (400x225)
Sad
Canned Turkey
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 06:29:31 PM »

That's how I feel as well, but I can't make a game if changing a value and recompiling it to test takes longer than making a sandwich.
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 11:55:36 AM »

I love the concept Turkey.  That's some big ol' creative elbow room with 25 or so planets in a light-hearted setting.

Despite our goofy back-and-forth on a certain other thread  Who, Me?...I actually love the ascetic and the way you handle your art, it's lively, charming and seems a perfect fit for the game.

Best of luck with the 'restart' and I'm hoping the art keeps it's various charms through the process.

I don't say this often but I'm positive this particular game is going into the "I will play this when it is done" club.  If it ever happens that you need testers please keep us updated so I can raise my hand and be all like "oh...OH!...ME!...PICK ME!" heh.

Cheers and I'll be watching.  Coffee 

Canned Turkey
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 12:14:01 PM »

Thank you for your kind words!
Specifically, you brought up something I'd like to clear up, just to be sure it's obvious.

Best of luck with the 'restart' and I'm hoping the art keeps it's various charms through the process.

I am going to try and make the low res art look as much like the original prototype version as possible.
Basically, it will look like the low res GIFs, but scaled to your whole screen.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 02:22:21 PM »

This is canceled because I have no initiative

EDIT:

Yeah I know it's a dumb april fools joke.

Anyway, this project is definitely going to be finished.

The current state of things is that I have everything planned, I just need to make it.
For me anyways, that's a big step. I see initial design like it's a solid rough draft, now on to the real work.

I love all the world and characters I've made and I feel obligated to take them at least past the concept stage.
Right now I'm playing through all three Mother/Earthbound games, I want to play Mother 4 right when it comes out,
but also I think I should really dig into the main inspiration for games like this.
I've pinned down the formula and concept, and I can understand why people love Mother-likes like Undertale and Lisa,
and I love seeing how they've added to the original formula past new characters.

Everything I have planned out is pretty streamlined, it's probably going to be a ~20-30 minute game.
So that's not too good.
I'm thinking I'll have to add some sort of difficulty, and I can't go straight to combat, because I don't want violence in this game.
I feel like it's a good challenge to make a story driven RPG without combat.
My best idea right now is to have an overworld style encounter system (Earthbound) but make the confrontations stuff like
rock-paper-scissors, marbles, rock throwing contests, thumb wars, conkers,
and other childish/goofy ways of settling conflict.
When you beat a character in "battle" they'll give you a memento like a stamp (stamps are cool right?) to act as a currency.
You won't have to buy anything, but there'll be certain roadblocks you have to "pay" to get past.

Thanks for being the my rubber-duck to explain all this to. Making long forum posts does wonders for my clarity and motivation.

Cheers  Hand Thumbs Up Right
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 11:25:11 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
lobstersteve
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2016, 01:51:41 AM »

i thought it will be a puzzle game.
But i'm glad you'll finish this. The charming RPG route (and especially the "mini games" for battle) sounds really cool also Smiley
<3
Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2016, 02:59:39 PM »

Wow, super charming art and mood. Also love the small effects and details. Best of luck with the project! I'll keep an eye on it :-)

Canned Turkey
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 12:42:12 PM »

Thanks guys!
I'm glad you're all interested even if I don't post too often  Embarrassed

I finally got around to changing the resolution.
Here's the first pass, things will continue to look better as I work on it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic