Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411510 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:55:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFortune Fighters
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Fortune Fighters  (Read 7560 times)
Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2015, 08:36:15 PM »

Platforms
Initial launch: PC, Mac, Linux
Later release: Mobile devices

Links
Game -- @FortuneFighters
Artist -- @FLY_PIXEL
Coder -- @cheapdevotion

Gameplay
Fortune Fighters is an online & couch co-op multiplayer experience. Similar to the fast paced action in Tower Fall and Samurai Gunn with a top down perspective.

Combat is twitch based and very fast - easy to learn but challenging to master mechanics. Each player will be able to dodge and melee attack, but also have a unique 3rd ability. The 3rd ability is interchangeable and can range from stuns, heals, powerful damage, etc.

Players live in a large world where they can enter arenas to fight other people and AI at the same time - collecting loot and gaining status on the battlefield. Arenas will only last 5-10 minutes, allowing people to enjoy the competitive side of the game without having to commit to an hour long match.

Leveling in Fortune Fighters is unconventional - your gear levels up instead of the player. Higher level gear is mostly cosmetic with very minor stat benefits. No benefit will create an unfair advantage for any new/old players.
Outside of the arenas, people can trade, craft, and engage in community events. The goal of Fortune Fighters is to create a balanced fighting system that allows someone who's played for only 1 day to stand a chance against a multi year veteran.

Setting
In this strange world, you awake to find that everyone around you is a highly skilled warrior from his/her time or place. Fighters from past, present, and future are visible at all times. Vikings, pirates, ninjas, space men, etc.

...Death is only the beginning..

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:53:37 PM by Wooden Chair » Logged

Canned Turkey
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 09:19:34 PM »

I have waited so long for this, I'm glad it's finally being made.
Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 12:03:31 AM »

Such beautiful, tiny pixel art, and so much of it! Really pleasant environments.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 02:12:02 AM »

Such beautiful, tiny pixel art, and so much of it! Really pleasant environments.
Everything I wanted to say and more! They are so beautiful....to me!

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »

Thanks for the compliments guys. We really appreciate it!

Here is a little work in progress of me updating the very old mountain arena..
I will be live streaming pixel art tonight at around 9pm pacific. www.twitch.tv/hahayeahdude

Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 08:48:41 PM »

Live streaming pixel art development now. (Rock boss attack)
VIEW --> http://www.twitch.tv/hahayeahdude

Live stream is over. This is what I was working on tonight.--- Will be streaming again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 09:30:50 PM by Wooden Chair » Logged

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 12:40:50 PM »

Man, this is gorgeous! How long have you guys been working on this?

Do you guys plan to run a crowd-funding campaign?

It sounds like a ton of fun! The environmental art is stunning!

fingerman
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 12:46:30 PM »

Yes, amazing pixels!
CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 06:02:07 AM »

First of all, thanks for the feedback guys. We are really excited about this game, and from the looks of it, so are you!

@M4uesviecr - To answer your questions, @Wooden Chair has been working on and fine tuning the art for something like three years now, and I came on to the project about a year ago. We both have full-time jobs so progress has been slow but steady so far. More recently, we have been putting a lot more time into the game and we are pushing to have a couch co-op build ready for PAX South.

As for crowd funding, we are not really sure how it fits into our plans. The game is going to be free to play (but NOT pay to win), and while money would speed up development, it is not something that is required to finish the game. We will see how the future goes, but for now, we are leaning towards no.
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:40:06 AM »

Impressive guys! I really love it!

As for crowd funding, we are not really sure how it fits into our plans. The game is going to be free to play (but NOT pay to win), and while money would speed up development, it is not something that is required to finish the game. We will see how the future goes, but for now, we are leaning towards no.

If you're going for a free to play plan, yep forget about crowd funding, it would be really difficult to reach your goal (and if your goal involves 2 people moving from full-time jobs to full-time on the game, it won't be low I presume).

Good luck!

CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 08:11:43 AM »

If you're going for a free to play plan, yep forget about crowd funding, it would be really difficult to reach your goal (and if your goal involves 2 people moving from full-time jobs to full-time on the game, it won't be low I presume).

That was our thinking as well. We would either have to come up with amazing physical rewards, which would eat into the money quite a bit, or great digital rewards, which would require a fan base beforehand. However, I doubt we would try to replace our salaries with crowd funding - if we raised money it would be for the sole purpose of hiring extra part-time help to finish sooner.

What we haven't shown in screenshots is our plans for the social aspects of the game. We are going to be modeling that system after some of the online games of the past that put a big emphasis on social interaction. Graal Online, Star Wars Galaxies, NexusTK, Ryzom, etc. - these games were pretty open in terms of social leadership and working directly with Moderators and Developers to make socially based game additions. We think there is a huge lack of this type of interaction in modern online games, and our goal is to make it a big part of the Fortune Fighters ecosystem.

My point in all of this is that we aren't going to traditional route of raising money to support us, but designing a game where the players will want to continually support us because they have a direct line of communication, and a stake in the direction of the game.
Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 08:25:34 PM »

currently live streaming pixel art for the main arena that we'll be showcasing at PAX South.

Live streaming pixel art development now.(Samurai Arena)

Here is an early animation of the rock boss I did last stream.. He is just sketched right now and haven't put the fine details in yet.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »

Those animatons and colours are fantastic. Impressed at the small scale but amount of detail you've been able to get in.

nam1995
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2015, 10:10:01 AM »

Hmm, I wonder if this game has the elements of open-world. Looks awesome.

Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »

Hmm, I wonder if this game has the elements of open-world. Looks awesome.

Yes this will be an open world game as well as an arena fighter. Think of instances in world of warcraft.

Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 11:00:52 PM »

-- This is the hellfire ability.. still early pixels, and I haven't filled in all the details of the flame/smoke. But you get the general idea.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:23:15 PM by Wooden Chair » Logged

Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 07:22:18 PM »

currently live streaming pixel art for the main arena that we'll be showcasing at PAX South.

Live streaming pixel art development now.(Hammer Slam Special Ability!)

Here is the outcome of tonight's streaming session!

Recent updates:

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:32:06 AM by Wooden Chair » Logged

Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »

Live streaming pixel art development now.(Poison Bath Special Ability!)

Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2016, 12:49:18 PM »

Jacob has been tearing it up and got us these really cool colored emission maps that we're going to start using!!

I'm working on kill streak notifications.

Jerry Pie
Level 0

Pixel Artist

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »

I'm working on a new ability right now.. I haven't finished coloring it all in yet so don't judge to harshly! This is the "Tele-Mine" ability... Essentially you will use the ability in a jam, and teleport a few spaces in front of you.. Meanwhile a mine drops behind you and will explode if someone touches it.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 01:54:01 PM by Wooden Chair » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic