Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:13:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDon't Kill Her | Surreal, narrative, hand drawn, indie game. (lot of gif here)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Don't Kill Her | Surreal, narrative, hand drawn, indie game. (lot of gif here)  (Read 15314 times)
romulosan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2017, 11:03:32 AM »

I play the demo. 
The art direction is lovely.
I look forward to the release.

My Project
wuuthrer
Level 0

I draw stuff, I make games, I like it dirty

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2017, 05:53:27 AM »

Hi there!

Just wanted to share a little .gif, introducing this character I've been working on for a while!

- Don't Kill Her -
  No choice is given, but the rest belongs to us.
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2017, 12:01:55 AM »

Howdy! :]

Some people asked me how I create the visuals of the game, so I thought it would be cool to put together a little video, making of thing. It's very short but I thought it might interest some of you!

Music: M4taq11 Theme by Siddhartha Barnhoorn / Flute by Lara Ausensi

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2017, 06:18:12 AM »

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

Very complicated and challenging puzzle, obviously.

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2017, 05:45:30 AM »

Don't mess with Her.

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2017, 03:16:42 AM »

- Don't Kill Her -
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »

I've only briefly glanced over this, but it seems like totally my jam. Following!

wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2017, 05:07:08 AM »

Hi!

I was pretty fed up with constantly reducing the quality of my animation with .gifs, so this time I made a video :]

Here we go!

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2017, 05:25:16 AM »

HI THERE!
Exciting news! The time has come to unravel some of the mystery surrounding Don’t Kill Her, including major progress recently made on the production of the game.
Let’s take a peek behind the scenes of the game’s creative process and its challenges together: I intend to deploy my explanations gradually, through a series of updates. Each one will focus on a specific fundamental pillar of the game’s development. My goal is to reveal the real thrill behind Don’t Kill Her, with great caution obviously in compliance to Her will.

BEHIND THE SCENES#1: Script and characters

----PREMISES----
In the beginning was Her. She hasn’t left my side since and has become my number one priority. I therefore began laying the groundwork of my script with the sole purpose of serving Her intent. God, what a clusterfuck! Whether it was the sketches of the world or the notes flying around, Her instructions seemed a bit all over the place at first, to say the least.

Fortunately, this scattered chaos took a more structured form over time. Actually, the various elements began fitting together quite naturally, as if they were all part of one big puzzle that was meant to be. Firstly thanks to the feedbacks of many players, but also and above all thanks to Her. I had to keep in mind that everything revolved around Her and had to be designed according to her grand scheme of things. From there on, a tangible balance appeared and thus the first characters were born.

----CHARACTERS----
The creative impulse responsible for the character design has many sources. Some characters were a direct product of the game’s environment; others were specifically designed to serve a narrative intent. Some of them actually turned out to be the collateral product of both of these things.
Some characters also appeared out of mere drawings and had no ulterior motive before their story unfolded, whereas for others it was the exact opposite. As with everything else, I was not guided randomly. To ensure the proper execution of Her plan, she required an important panel of original characters, far from the more traditional stereotypes. I therefore had at heart to diversify the process and achieve Her goal.

All characters benefit from a unique personality and storyline. Interacting with them will allow you to get to know them better as well as their environment. But be careful nevertheless, because each of them appears differently in regards to the events, in line with their experiences but also in function of the relationship that they have with Her.
Your task is to observe and deduct wisely according to the affinity and trust you feel for them. As I am sure you have now understood, the only thing in black and white in Don’t Kill Her is its graphics certainly not its script.

But that's not all. Despite the very surreal and ethereal aspect of the universe, She is devoted to rendering it coherent and alive. These characters have not been waiting around for you to appear to get on with their lives and will not start to do so because you've landed out of nowhere. In concrete terms, let’s say that it’s as if you showed up at a party filled with strangers and that you needed to get acquainted with everyone before you were able to participate in the festivities. Indeed, they already have relationships with each other as well as those that may link them to Her.

Don´t panic, don’t be afraid. I’m well aware that all of this may appear overwhelming and time consuming. But the driving force behind this project, is to make it fluid and accessible to virtually anyone. I’ve made a point of disseminating all these meaningful elements in a pleasant and amusing way, either through pure game play, in terms of game design, but also through environmental storytelling. That’s right, Don' t Kill Her wont waste your time with long and indigestible text sequences, that’s what those updates are for Wink

This is actually why developing this game takes so much time. A tough but also utterly thrilling challenge and as a matter of fact, the subject of my next update. I will detail a few in game situations; concrete examples that will speak for themselves and help develop your deductive reasoning.

I’ll get back to you soon to even better share my enthusiasm for the project and with a couple of crazy ambitions that are moving along quite well, I guarantee.

See you soon for another behind the scenes updates! Don't hesitate to tell me what do you think of the cast of characters so far or if you're using the same network/relationships system to write your stories. I would like to hear how you're proceeding.

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2017, 04:36:44 AM »

#16 BEHIND THE SCENES: Narrative mechanics

As promised, here is a new chapter in the "Behind the scenes" updates. But before getting to the heart of this matter, some good news! Don't Kill Her is the fortunate recipient of a production grant from Pro Helvetia, a Swiss public-law foundation. This grant will allow me to focus intently on developing the game. So keep an eye out for upcoming news from Her and I.

SEVERAL LEVELS OF INTERPRETATION
The script can be seen as a layer cake. The main plot, which comprises all major and mandatory events, is within everyone’s reach. Thus, even the less curious players will complete their adventure with a sense of achievement and satisfaction.
The second layer will reveal itself to the more curious players, who will have gone the extra mile to explore all the optional areas that hold some of the secrets that will shed more light on the In-Between and its characters.
For the more seasoned player, a third layer awaits. It requires much more interpretation and analysis from the player. Even the most insignificant elements of the game can hold a symbolical meaning, and help deliver the intimate and crucial message that She is trying to convey to the player. Obviously this level leaves the door wide open to individual interpretation. One of the aims here is to foster debates on the subject, allowing the community to enjoy itself while dissecting the game.

T.H.I.S.
Don't Kill Her’s world hasn’t been waiting for you to get on with it’s life. This narrative choice implies that you can only begin to understand the origin and meaning of part of the events that you will experience through your endeavors by bringing the past to light.

It is this important feature that gives meaning to one of the mechanism of the game: T.H.I.S (This Huge In-Between System). A social network created by one of the characters that allows the inhabitants of In-Between to share their memories, a kind of Facebook. This network helps the player become aware of the characters’ pasts through their accounts. Moreover, you will be able to untangle and understand the relationships between the characters by reading their comments and publications. This system has already proven its worth in games such as A Normal Lost Phone. I’d rather not go into the details for now, as this is part of the surprises She has in store for you.

EXAMPLE
In my last update, I promised I would offer an example of the kind of reflections that could be prompted by clues and other narrative elements of the game. Exceptionally, She has allowed me to divulge a little more than usual, through the character of Glurg.

Here some clarification is required. First of all, the above example is in not to be considered as the solution to a puzzle that appears « in a playful way » in the In-Between. There are no questions, no tests and even less inherent rewards to merely resolving the game’s mysteries. Her will is certainly to encourage to do so, but She will never force you to do so. You should simply be aware, that as usual, with Her everything holds a significance.

Secondly, the aforementioned example refrains from unveiling what really happened between Her and Glurg. As you may have guessed, She would never forgive me. What you should nevertheless try to keep in mind, is that the clues as well as possible interpretations are numerous. This may include dialogues, an act carried out by a character, text found on T.H.I.S., a location with a story, but not only... As even the lack of clues can give you something to think about! For instance, if a usually talkative character stops posting updates on T.H.I.S., there’s likely to be a reason. As I am sure you have now understood, Don't Kill Her rewards the curious.

I have yet to choose the subject of the next update, maybe a little more information regarding the timeline or T.H.I.S. Lets wait and see what She will be willing to whisper in my ear. Anyhow don't hesitate to let me know what you think. It's always great to hear your feedbacks, just to be sure I'm not going too far and everything I'm writing down still make some sense to other people XD

« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:09:41 AM by wuuthrer » Logged

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2017, 04:00:21 AM »

Hello there!

I've been trying new stuff lately. To summarize, let's just say I'm trying to draw bigger pictures for the environments instead of small part of it that I put together after. To be honest, I'm pretty happy with the result! It gives me even more options and liberty to just f*** with perspective and show/tell what I want in the backgrounds environments :D

Look by yourself:

The other totally unexpected effect of this... is that it goes even faster. I never realised how much time I lost editing all those assets in Photoshop :D

I still need to figure properly a bunch of things with this new technique, but I still believe the game will benefit a lot from it.

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »

Hello there!

I know it's not really the best place to share this kind of information, but since a bunch of you have been really kind and very supportive, I wanted to inform you about a little giveaway I've just started. You know how hard it is for indies to keep tracks of their followers, so I decided to finally create a little newsletter.

I also have a few t-shirts left, so I decided to run a lottery to make it more fun! Subscribe to the Don't Kill Her newsletter until 24th for your chance to win a cool t-shirt :]
So don't hesitate to subscribe if you want to receive the ~monthly recap'!

I'll still post stuff there, but the main purpose of this newsletter is to summarize everything and share the most important news like release dates, etc...

I hope you'll like it!

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 03, 2018, 02:12:32 AM »

Hello!

I just wanted to share some new .gifs about a new "skill" I've been working on for a while. I won't go into details for now, I still need to polish a few things until it's totally implemented. But eh, .gifs don't hurt right?

Here comes a short footage of the new area where you'll get the skill.

And here is how its feedback is displayed on the screen when you use it.

I'll wrote a more detailed post next time about what it is all about. But... I was wondering if you could guess what it is just by looking at the .gifs? Any idea?

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2018, 09:22:55 AM »

Hello there!

I'll get straight to the point: the last two months have been so productive that it almost felt unrealistic. Here it goes!

More Hints
The In-Between is a world full of details to look at. It's also very lively since the creatures living down there are very busy doing their own stuff. The characters of the game are scattering fragments of their doings everywhere around the world and there's now a very simple and efficient way for you to look at them. See by yourself:

Relationship feedbacks
During your journey, you will often be free to act as you please regarding your meetings and conversations with the characters of the game. Of course, their reactions will differ depending on the decisions you make and obviously on their own expectations and personalities. When the time of resolution comes, the trustworthiness you inspired the characters with will make the difference. But I can't tell you more Wink

Souvenirs
For a long time now, I have always wished  to give the player a tool to gather clues and other discoveries he'll make through his journey. I finally came up with a simple and coherent idea: souvenirs. At some point, you'll win a new ability that will allow you to take a picture of what you're seeing. Yes, it's basically a screenshot.

The twist is that you'll be then able to add tags to your souvenirs  through a specific interface. The goal is to organise  them  the way you want so that it helps you to make connections between characters and events you'll encounter. I like the idea that while reading dialogues, discovering hints or even looking at details in the environment, the player has to question himself if it's relevant or worth taking a souvenir.

That's it for today folks. See you later for some new crusty .gifs!

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2018, 04:16:29 AM »

HOWDY!
This last month has been very busy. Indeed, I decided to deal with several parts of the game that required necessary adjustments.

I started working on the game a few years ago. The project has evolved a lot since then, mainly regarding its narrative direction. Howewer, this evolution has had significant impacts on the heart of the game, namely the repercussions of your doings in the In-Between.

Unfortunately, the code of the game as I conceived it at the start was not very flexible regarding  the implementation of my new intentions. I gathered all my courage and decided to clean up all this pretty mess.

This is not really the kind of progression that is very interesting to share, but it was a necessary step in the development of the game because now I can finally fully dedicate my efforts to the integration of new content without wasting time on the code!

In brief: I can add a ton more of those kind of nice little things :D

Besides this big work of refactoring, my dialogue writer; my new sound designer; my composer and myself worked a lot on integrating their creations into the most updated version of the game. As usual, She makes me understand that I should not tell you too much about it... But I can not resist the idea of ​​sharing a new composition. This is not its final version, but it should already be enough to titillate your curiosity Wink

You can listen to it by clicking right here. (from Siddhartha Barnhoorn)

Last but not least, from 17th  to 21th May I will be attending the Stunfest festival taking place in Rennes, France. Don't Kill Her will be showcased in the indie space! So if you are around, do not hesitate to come visit me and get your hands on the latest version of the game. I am really excited to gather feedbacks of this new version and I will be happy to share them with you through this newsletter.

The best is yet to come! Thank you again for your patience and support. She and I are super grateful.

Your dear Forever, Wuthrer

- Don't Kill Her -
wuuthrer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2018, 11:47:01 PM »

I know it's been a while. I'll just throw some eye candy .gif for the moment ^^

- Don't Kill Her -
Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »

woooooooooooooow! Amazing!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic