Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 04:16:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Camdag's pixelwork and mockup thread
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Camdag's pixelwork and mockup thread  (Read 6960 times)
Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2009, 12:26:34 PM »

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:34:00 PM by Camdag » Logged
The-Imp
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:35:45 PM »

That actually looks fairly tasty. Like some sort of pixel muffin. Mmm, pixel muffins... Anyway, good stuff, I especially like the robot mockup!
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »

An explosion of colour! I especially like the grass tiles, and the metroidy screenshot is cool.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 01:03:26 PM »

Well, your custom title is obviously not for nothing. I love the colours. Good work Smiley
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 02:38:49 PM »

Woah. The entire first image didn't show up for me and I was about to ask ishi "How is it metroidy?  Huh?" and then it showed up and I was all like "Woah."

But yeah though, cool stuff. I 'specially like the boxer dude.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »

That's all amazing! You have a wonderful style.  Smiley
Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:56:46 PM »

Creating a protagonist- Thought processes:

-Ok, he's got to be bright, and high contrast, so the player can see him no matter where he is. Robots are cool. Lets do red and white. Yeah, a shoot-em-up sounds good, lets give him a gun. A golden gun. It's fun working with only the limited GIF palette in MS Paint.

Wait, fuck. White skinned robot, red, gun, low resolution, metroid-ey type setting... Cave Story

- Ok, now he's green. I'm gonna cover up those eyes. Everybody uses the vertical black slit eye design nowadays. He gets a visor. But he looks a bit goofy.

-Ok, different look. Ehhh...he doesn't seem to have much personality. I'm going to go ahead and make him a non-silent hero, so he needs a complete face.

-Ok, a mouth, red hair, there's some personality. It goes well with the green. I am digging the color scheme.

-He still reminds me of a thinly disguised Quote. He doesn't get a gun. He gets throwing knives. And he will be able to flip around like a ninja and run up walls.
The-Imp
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 05:08:52 PM »

Oh god the was hilarious. I still like the mouth of the first one.
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 05:17:56 PM »

Love the thought process iteration.  I need to be better about iterating on ideas, like this kind of thing - I'd have gone around and around on the 'it's a robot' thing instead of going 'hey, turn him into a ninja with throwing knives'.

How much of the game idea do you get set in your mind before you start drawing for it?

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 05:55:21 PM »

As an artist and wannabe game designer, I usually think of the gameplay and mood as the very first things, and then I focus the graphical style around that. I usually play the game part way in my head, before deciding on a definite graphical style.

I was recently playing Lyle in Cube sector, and really dug the graphical style. I wanted something bright, eye-catching, and with a limited color palette to give that old-school feel. Mostly, I just wanted things to pop! Color explosions! Eye candy! So I decided to use saturated colors against a black background.

I was thinking of starting it as a deceptively traditional oldschool shoot-em-up, but with a twist. The hordes of enemies would occasionally drop special powerups(in varying degrees of rarity) that allowed the player to buy special abilities for the character. The abilities will do almost anything, like allowing the protagonist to store a certain number of health powerups for later usage if he's full on health, the ability to hop on enemies to damage them instead of just chucking sharp objects at them, increased "flicker" immunity-to-damage time after character is hit, resistance to getting knocked backwards through the air after an enemy runs into the character, a higher jump, wall running, and so forth.

Instead of running all over to find the exact spot where the double jump power-up is, he might simply kill a few enemies as he explores other areas and then buy the double-jump ability with the loot he attains. Basically, this system will allow "flexible exploration", and the player will never be at a dead end, wondering where to go. If a player is getting his ass wooped by mega-monsters in a certain area, he only needs to "level up", as it were. But unlike a straight up rpg, you can run around in a "high level" area without being insta-killed, by relying on reflexes and skill instead of the power of the character and chance. If a player wants a challenge, he can give it to himself. And if he feels like his character is too strong, he can just flip the little off switch next to each ability in the menu screen!

After I figured on all that stuff is about when I decided to make some tiles and sprites.
Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »

Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 11:36:47 PM »

Makes sense but the juxtaposition of him being an android with the kinda medieval look of his hood and greaves is making me go  WTF  Smiley

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
medieval
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »

Camdag, that idea is great! It's in a way similar to what I had in mind, to give a twist to the endless storm of MMORPGs, namely to bring a fighting element into battles, so that a player can actually be skilled at battles.

Also, those sprites look damn lovely. I was this close to licking the screen to see if it tasted like apples.
Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »

It would be a neat system for an MMO, and with such simple graphics, lag might not be a problem. I'm glad you all like the colors, this super saturated style is kind of new for me.

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »

This is so awesome, Camdag. I love all of your stuff!

The-Imp
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 11:22:49 AM »

That screams *barf*.  Durr...?
medieval
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »

That screams *barf*.  Durr...?
WHAT
Plasticware
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 12:29:26 PM »

A reference to River City Ransom, perhaps?

Loving your stuff, Camdag.
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »

great stuff

godsavant
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 12:36:14 PM »

Egyptian boxers are awesome.
Pages: [1] 2
Print