Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

April 30, 2024, 08:40:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesNew "Tropes vs. Women in Video Games" - Strategic Butt Coverings
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: New "Tropes vs. Women in Video Games" - Strategic Butt Coverings  (Read 10906 times)
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2016, 10:51:40 AM »

By August 2015, worldwide sales for the games in the series had passed one million copies
consumers are part of the problem.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2016, 10:59:33 AM »

Y'all making this too big of a deal.

Sexism = wrong

Sexism can vaguely be described as seeing one sex being better or worse than the other, yes?
Can we agree on that? Cool.
The term also applies when a sex is marginalized or belittled, yes?
Alright then.

Using woman in games as nothing but horny male bait and not real characters = Sexism

Therefore,

Using woman in games as nothing but horny male bait and not real characters = wrong

Oh wow that was really easy.
Also, it doesn't matter if it falls under free speech.
Having a game where you can play as the terrorists involved in 9/11 is free speech, and we can agree it would generally be a bad idea to make that game.
Being protected by law doesn't make something ethically a-okay.

In fucking conclusion,
Sexism is bad and you should strive to purge it from our industry with your actions and words within your ability.

Can this thread please be done now.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2016, 11:04:33 AM »

when your cast is all titty girls you kind of have no choice but to diversify their personalities a lil

(something i noticed when this first went up but i dont think i posted about it anywhere)

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »

disregarding everything else isn't it in MALE GAMER interest to not have every video game look like it was made for that creepy kid in school who doesn't talk or shower and wants to go home so he can watch hentai

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Canned Turkey
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »

It's in everyone's interest, besides that creepy kid in school.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2016, 11:24:44 AM »

And it's not like the creepy game are targeted "specifically" generally they are just ignored (and there is women playing those game too, it's not just creepy guy).

The problem is when the creepyness is the norm even in the game with general appeal.

The fight is not about banning creepy game (unless they enter really really bad harmful territory) it's about the normalization of creepy features everywhere!

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »

Sexism can vaguely be described as seeing one sex being better or worse than the other, yes?
Can we agree on that? Cool.
I think that definition is way too narrow, although I agree with the rest of the post basically:
JWK5
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2016, 01:06:08 PM »

kangaroodev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2016, 01:09:56 PM »

I think it's hilarious to see grown men and women afraid of female butts, nevermind all the countless shirtless and buff action heroes though! I assume that everyone who agrees with OP's video would like to have women dressed up as ninjas, just like in islamic countries, is this what feminists want?

Guys, sex appeal and nice bodies are here to stay, especially in a medium where it literally doesn't hurt anyone. I'd like to go back to games with buff males and sexy females now.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »

i want all my male characters to have a huge bulge in their crotch. it should have jiggly physics and close ups should be prevalent everytime you strike a combo. i want dlc to reveal whats underneath in all but except the tip as that would be child unfriendly.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »

I think it's hilarious to see grown men and women afraid of female butts, nevermind all the countless shirtless and buff action heroes though! I assume that everyone who agrees with OP's video would like to have women dressed up as ninjas, just like in islamic countries, is this what feminists want?

Guys, sex appeal and nice bodies are here to stay, especially in a medium where it literally doesn't hurt anyone. I'd like to go back to games with buff males and sexy females now.

sorry youre wrong and heres why

VVVVVVV TAKE IT AWAY GUYS

Shrug

JWK5
« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2016, 01:28:49 PM »

you'll never take my neptunia games away

$$$$
Neptunia does what it does and knows what it does and makes sure you know it too. It is not some gritty war game or a serious game about realistic martial artists doing battle, it is first and foremost about scantily clad women and some cheesy excuses for them to tear shit up. It's like Dead or Alive or Bayonetta, you know what you are getting into with it and it seems not so jarring because it is start to finish putting it's characters wares on display. I don't necessarily think they are terrible for it, because I do believe there should be a space for it and they tend to fit in that space pretty openly and honestly.

I don't think people are afraid of it.

The problem is 75% of games feature pseudo-strippers, women who no matter their role are running around in lingerie. They are meant to entice, specifically the male libido. The male characters on the other hand are depicted powerful and dominant, appealing to the male ego. It is not hard to see that video games are first and foremost predominantly designed for males, yet males are not the only ones who play them.

There are a ton of awesome games out there that I like to play with my kids but a large number of them feature those pseudo-strippers which becomes very cringe-worthy when playing with my daughter who doesn't understand why there are no cool costumes for the female characters, just lingerie and swimsuits.

It's not that we need go get rid of the male-centric games, it is just that 75%+ of all video games do not need to be so male-centric, and more specifically, do not need to cater to male libido. In a lot of games the way the female characters are dressed doesn't even make any sense at all in the context of the game setting and game tone itself. They are just cramming in T&A wherever they can just because they can. It is a very thoughtless approach that is alienating to those it does not target.

To be honest, I did not grasp the full gravity of it until I had kids, until it hit a little closer to home. We grow up with women as advertising objects, as bait for the eyes of potential consumers, it can be very easy for us males especially to be very desensitized to it because we have come to know it as normalcy, we forget that it is only normalcy for us because it is catering to us. We don't see the harm it causes because it isn't overtly harming us (though subtly, especially socially, it is).

I don't entirely agree with Anita's video, especially since some of those games are the equivalent of a video game romance novel targeting heterosexual men and the blatant sex appeal and cheesiness is to be expected. However, I do agree and can easily see from the games I have personally played there are definitely a lot of games that intentionally position the camera for sex appeal where it didn't necessarily have to. It is noticeable enough that my daughter can point it out and crack jokes about it.

Does that mean no game should ever do it? I don't think so, but definitely not 75%+ of them. I would rather the sexiness be kept to even just 25% and done well rather than sprinkled everywhere and turning an otherwise serious tone and setting into something jarring and uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 01:39:15 PM by JWK5 » Logged
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »

Anita isn't always on point to explain her point of view and arguments, but that doesn't make her wrong. You just have to dig a little to find the good points in her videos. Honestly, this shouldn't be the case since her videos are targeted at the general public, and it's especially bad when people misinterpret her to the point of creating an entire hate group targeted at her and her arguments.

Also I agree with everything JWK5 said.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2016, 01:43:07 PM »

Some men don't like game where women are dominant and powerful while not existing for their affection (ie mother, love interest, slut, whore, virgin, damsel in distress, etc ...).

So they say it's censorship

JWK5
« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2016, 01:43:39 PM »

Anita isn't always on point to explain her point of view and arguments, but that doesn't make her wrong. You just have to dig a little to find the good points in her videos. Honestly, this shouldn't be the case since her videos are targeted at the general public, and it's especially bad when people misinterpret her to the point of creating an entire hate group targeted at her and her arguments.

I think the volatile and extreme reaction happens because the subject itself inflicts some pretty nasty cognitive dissonance in males, due to that desensitization and sense of normalcy. It basically throws your whole world view into question, pulling the rug out from under you. It is not a pleasant feeling, so to a degree I understand and sympathize with the reaction even if I no longer agree with or accept it. You've got to go through that misery to come out the other side and see the situation for what it is. Some people aren't ready to do that yet so they fight to "disprove" it or try to tune it out.
kangaroodev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2016, 01:50:37 PM »

I don't think people are afraid of it.

The problem is 75% of games feature pseudo-strippers, women who no matter their role are running around in lingerie. They are meant to entice, specifically the male libido. The male characters on the other hand are depicted powerful and dominant, appealing to the male ego. It is not hard to see that video games are first and foremost predominantly designed for males, yet males are not the only ones who play them.

There are a ton of awesome games out there that I like to play with my kids but a large number of them feature those pseudo-strippers which becomes very cringe-worthy when playing with my daughter who doesn't understand why there are no cool costumes for the female characters, just lingerie and swimsuits.

It's not that we need go get rid of the male-centric games, it is just that 75%+ of all video games do not need to be so male-centric, and more specifically, do not need to cater to male libido. In a lot of games the way the female characters are dressed doesn't even make any sense at all in the context of the game setting and game tone itself. They are just cramming in T&A wherever they can just because they can. It is a very thoughtless approach that is alienating to those it does not target.

To be honest, I did not grasp the full gravity of it until I had kids, until it hit a little closer to home. We grow up with women as advertising objects, as bait for the eyes of potential consumers, it can be very easy for us males especially to be very desensitized to it because we have come to know it as normalcy, we forget that it is only normalcy for us because it is catering to us. We don't see the harm it causes because it isn't overtly harming us (though subtly, especially socially, it is).

I don't entirely agree with Anita's video, especially since some of those games are the equivalent of a video game romance novel targeting heterosexual men and the blatant sex appeal and cheesiness is to be expected. However, I do agree and can easily see from the games I have personally played there are definitely a lot of games that intentionally position the camera for sex appeal where it didn't necessarily have to. It is noticeable enough that my daughter can point it out and crack jokes about it.

Does that mean no game should ever do it? I don't think so, but definitely not 75%+ of them. I would rather the sexiness be kept to even just 25% and done well rather than sprinkled everywhere and turning an otherwise serious tone and setting into something jarring and uncomfortable.

I'll try to not get sucked into a 20 page forum battle, so I'll keep my replies short or stop myself from posting, otherwise we'd both lose a lot of time.

Your problem with having kids is understandable, you want them to play games that you had fun with, and this is the problem. Little kids do not need to play violent/sexy action games, there are more than enough cute games for that, and the classic Mario is always there. It's simple, they do not get to play everything, since there are multiple audiences. You just have to deal with the fact that even if 75% of games have some sexy themes/characters in them, it's what the market wants, and your kids aren't the audience for let's say GTA V.

I grew up with games such as doom, quake, and plenty of shooters/action games that are not kid friendly games, if you think about it, killing people shouldn't be more tolerated than seeing well defined bodies. There are a lot games meant for males, if there are people who do not like them they should not play them. People who complain about sexist games and such should create their own games, simply nobody is stopping females from making their own kid and female friendly games, or whatever they like. I do not accept gamergate as a legitimate way of stopping women from making their own games, saying this so it doesn't get mentioned again.

My final solution is this, people who aren't happy that they see nice human bodies in video games, should create their own games and change the industry with their own hands instead of asking everyone to stop having sexy characters, we aren't living in Syria, so we don't need to think for women like they are babies, or cover them up.

JWK5
« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2016, 01:52:29 PM »

Some men don't like game where women are dominant and powerful while not existing for their affection (ie mother, love interest, slut, whore, virgin, damsel in distress, etc ...).

So they say it's censorship

they're wrong too

everyone is pretty much wrong.
It's the opposite, everyone is right depending on the context they are giving the situation. Nobody is fighting to prove they aren't wrong, everyone is fighting to prove everyone else is wrong because everyone feels they are right (they must be, their beliefs fit the context they gave the situation).

Sometimes you have to stop and examine the context you've given the situation, it can reveal a lot about where you are generating your beliefs and opinions from.

My final solution is this, people who aren't happy that they see nice human bodies in video games, should create their own games and change the industry with their own hands instead of asking everyone to stop having sexy characters
Who are the "people" and what are the "nice human bodies"?

It's simple, they do not get to play everything, since there are multiple audiences. You just have to deal with the fact that even if 75% of games have some sexy themes/characters in them, it's what the market wants, and your kids aren't the audience for let's say GTA V.
It's not what the market wants, or even the consumers, it is what the market offers and the consumers buy. However, alternatives are proving very viable (especially when you consider the indie boom).

so we don't need to think for women like they are babies
I just notice the complete irony of this statement given the text that preceded it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 02:45:28 PM by JWK5 » Logged
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2016, 01:54:28 PM »

Syria isn't/wasn't an islamic republic you fucking dunce

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 02, 2016, 01:59:16 PM »

Can we rewind to the part people like to overlook where feminist talk about liking sex? and bodies?

It's feminist not #momagainstgaming Big Laff

So we can have a more nuance bullshit than turning video games into syria, which btw isn't having women in burqa, you would be amaze of the number of country that have muslim women no different than in the west Big Laff

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 02, 2016, 01:59:44 PM »

Steve jobs is syrian

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic