Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:15:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignIs this worth developing? 2D platformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Is this worth developing? 2D platformer  (Read 1033 times)
AlexDeee
Level 0

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2016, 03:40:01 AM »

Introduction
A minute organism which has to extract nutrients from its surroundings and ends up turning into a full developed human teenage female along its journey.

The organic system
I really don't have an idea on how to describe it, its just a really small bacterial organism i guess. Undecided

Teenage girl
16 year old teenage girl,wearing some sort of clothing for protection from the environment.

currently working on this but not sure if it will stick
The girl sprite is mot mine! im using it to test in engine etc, more about what she is going to wear, is what im testing

Nutrients
Can be gathered in many ways but the main way would be through combat where you would have to stun the ZEL Moblin enemies ZEL Moblin first and then collect the nutrients off the bodies.

ZEL Tree Flowers - you can gather a small amount of nutrients off them. ZEL Tree
ZEL Tree Bushes(berries) - a bigger amount of nutrients compared to flowers. ZEL Tree

After nutrients have been gathered the object/enemy has a transition from colour to black to show it no longer has life

Worlds
Ive done a sketch and a quick concept of the first level where the Organisms gets introduced, it will start off being cutscene.

beginning -  Gloomy and lifeless

this is just the concept on photoshop

this is me starting the real thing but just prototype maybe, i like the water texture

just thought i would post on here and see what people think and CC would be appreciated  Hand Thumbs Up Left
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 06:42:12 AM by AlexDeee » Logged
AlexDeee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 06:37:34 AM »

Has any one got any advice if i should carry on with development or any changes i could do differently, anything at all would help Smiley
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 07:13:54 AM »

Hey man, to be honest there is not a lot of stuff here to go off of. I don't think anyone can tell you if you should or should not work on a project based on a little information. It sounds like it might be a cool mechanic getting nutrients from different sources but i'm not exactly sure how you will go from a bacteria to a teenage girl (why teenage?).

What I would say is take some time and make a small prototype with the minimum things you think you need. Get some boxes moving on screen and get your basics down until you have something playable.
If you can make a prototype that is fun without all the fancy effects and everything, I would continue working on it because you know there might be something there!

inspectorRoar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:49:04 AM »

As Chris says it's hard to tell with suck little info, but I would say any idea you have is worth developing to a prototype level, because that's how you'll learn to see the weaknesses and strengths of your designs and improve them for the next time Smiley

AlexDeee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:06 AM »

Hey man, to be honest there is not a lot of stuff here to go off of. I don't think anyone can tell you if you should or should not work on a project based on a little information. It sounds like it might be a cool mechanic getting nutrients from different sources but i'm not exactly sure how you will go from a bacteria to a teenage girl (why teenage?).

What I would say is take some time and make a small prototype with the minimum things you think you need. Get some boxes moving on screen and get your basics down until you have something playable.
If you can make a prototype that is fun without all the fancy effects and everything, I would continue working on it because you know there might be something there!

thank you and yeah ill try and make a prototype, il need to work on the nutrient gathering bit, not sure why teenage.

also I'm new to this website, any advice on how to post where to post etc ?
AlexDeee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 10:43:51 AM »

As Chris says it's hard to tell with suck little info, but I would say any idea you have is worth developing to a prototype level, because that's how you'll learn to see the weaknesses and strengths of your designs and improve them for the next time Smiley
thank you so much for your responses, its what i needed, ill get started on a prototype right a away Smiley

where can i post my prototype to get some feed back ?
Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:32:04 AM »

TIGs has a playtesting section for getting feedback on stuff.
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=6.0

There is also a space for Devlogs if you want to chart your process of making the game too.
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=27.0

Good luck on your project! Hope to see some progress.
Don't be afraid to ask questions if you get stuck.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic