Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:43:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGoldenEye 2D (now with download link)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: GoldenEye 2D (now with download link)  (Read 38264 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 04:31:03 PM »

Tough game!  It's brutal how you can lose a rocket launcher in the span of 10 seconds if you're not careful.  Fun, though.  The intro is awesome!

I fell off the left hand side of the screen. Tongue
Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 04:47:46 PM »

Where abouts?

The game's lovely, the graphics are awesome, and the music is pretty good too. The gameplay is pretty fun, and I had no problems with it. Though I think you guys could have tried to implement more of the 'Bond-style' into the game, with some stealth bits and stuff. Right now it's a lot like Bond was thrown inside the Contra world. Not that that's all that bad.

"Stealth" is a swear word where I come from.

WWW.ZOMBIESAURUSGAMES.COM
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 06:30:56 PM »

"Stealth" is a swear word where I come from.

Bet you just can't get good at those kinds of games.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2007, 07:48:09 PM »

Just letting you know I've been playing it more, and definitely digging it more.  The head collision is kinder than I initially gave it credit for.  I got one-hitted by the surly hat-wearing midget but I was playing the old build, so I can forgive that Smiley  Good fun for sure.  Now, what about Facility?  Grin

cup full of magic charisma
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 07:52:22 PM »

Where abouts?

Very start of the level.  Went left, fell down, then ran all the way to the end of the level!  (But couldn't finish it.)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2007, 08:30:32 PM »

I beat it!  1755 point - "00 Agent."

I like the machine gun better for Oddjob than the shotgun.  Being able to hold down the fire button makes dodging his damn hat easier.

Very fun game!  Shame it's only going to be one level.  Is it finished?  I'd love to frontpage it. Smiley
Zaphos
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2007, 08:55:56 PM »

Great game!  I hope you do some more levels Smiley

I got 1620 -- "Secret Agent" ... I'm usually really bad at these things, but it got much easier when I realized that this James Bond is fast enough to outrun bullets, but not fast enough to outrun a hat.  :D
Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 03:07:01 AM »

Hah! Has anyone got the "Klobb" rank yet? Anyone who's played GoldenEye 64 knows how bad a Klobb is.

Very fun game!  Shame it's only going to be one level.  Is it finished?  I'd love to frontpage it. Smiley

It's complete for now. Everything we wanted to do with it is done (except the Gameboy border thing). We're working on a update that'll include unlockable... stuff, but that won't be finished for a while.

Xander
TIGSource Editor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 03:53:44 AM »

I got Klobb'd. It really was a terrible terrible weapon... even with two of them the chances of you killing anything on any difficulty beyond agent wihtout having to reload were rediculously. It is a fun game, and I will -try- to get through the whole thing (I was 'sploded by the helicopter last playthrough, I lacked Rocket Launching!) before it ends up being updated.

Also, I hate that hat-lobbing midget. I'd actually charge the bugger with a Klobb just to feel safe in the knowledge that I'll get to shoot him the most times before he dies with that one.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2007, 07:23:10 PM »

Downloaded the game, I'm gonna comment a bit later on...

papamook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2007, 02:36:07 AM »

Hey grindie, good work. It reminds me of some goldeneye nes art that was kicking around a couple of years back, is this any relation?
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 11:27:11 AM »

Ok, so I played the game and I'm a  bit disapointed... It's well made and quite interesting but I expected something closer to the 64 game. For instance, in this version, it is basicaly a shoot em up. Also, you can't pick up weapons, you have to gain xp for them. The concept is interesting but it makes the game very frustrating. You can easily loose a new wepon in a fraction of seconds. Also, getting hit by 1 bullets means you gotta get 3 kills to get your upgrade back so making a simple mistake is very costly and annoying.

On top of that, you can't crouch... I always liked to crouch behind crates for cover. Another thing is that you can't heal yourself along the way or at least get more armor. At least not before you take care of the hat guy (I suppose the flashing icon is armor but I never got to touch it yet)...

Speaking of which, I still don't understand how a midget with a freakin' hat can do an instant kill with a hat while snipers and armed soldiers need at least 6 shots to take you down.

The game also lacks exploration... We don't have much to find since all weapons are given based on how much corpse you make. Also, there are no shortcuts to avaid fighting at the cost of having less gun power. It's too bad in a way because it's not very bond-ish... And, you can't use your chop attack from behind!

I know you are going for a hard game but I feel the game is not difficult: I'd rather say its unfair. You see, the player has not much to do to actualy finish the game. If he simply walks right while continuously shooting, he'll never get injured. The only "obstacle" is the invincible guy in the bunker... The difficulty of the game comes from the fact that the player cannot regenerate and whenever he makes a mistake, the game takes alot from him. Also, you throw enemies at him that cannot be killed, as well as enemies that can kill him with only one blow. So, overall, you're telling the player that he's not gonna loose because he's not skilled enough but because you don't want him to win.

The graphics and music are very nice and the controls are very slick. The game is well crafted but the design feels a bit too unpolished.  And I keep getting the rank of Klobb, even tho I died with 550... How much kills do you have to get a new rank? I'd expected at least a new rank for clearing the entire first part of the level and not getting the same rank as if I just let myself die at the very beginning...

Well, it's an interesting game none the less. A very good job indeed! I did enjoy the game but not as much as it could, in my opinion... Do you plan of working on another de-make soon?
Later!

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 01:46:43 AM »

The midget is Oddjob. In the movies, if his hat hit you, your head was gone! He's an instant kill enemy 'cause he's increadibly easy. He just stands there and lets you shoot him, all you have to do is jump. As for why snipers and other guys don't kill you with one hit... uh... they're not very accurate.

The game lacks exploration, yes. That's because me n' Bisse think that exploration is crammed in to pad game length out. I don't really see the need for it. I enjoy games that you can just pick up for 5 minutes and go. I think exploration slows things down and I have "Game ADD".

Heh! As for getting a higher rank, there are 3 higher ranks and to get them you just have to be better. We like our games hard, which means no regenerating health and being punished for the tiniest mistake. When we just started working on it, Bond had about 6 blocks of health, but we cut it in half 'cause we thought it was too easy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 02:17:58 AM by Grindie » Logged

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 03:55:32 AM »

How much time did you guys spent workin' on the game? Also, keep us noticed on how well you guys performed in the competition!

Later!

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 06:10:16 AM »

4 days I think it was. We were working on a Gameboy styled DigDug clone first, but after completing it, Bisse remembered how much he hated DigDug, so we scrapped it and moved onto GoldenEye.

We've won our first "round" in the contest. But we were up against a game made with RPG Maker, so that wasn't really an achievement (don't get me started on RPG Maker).

I want to continue on with GE2D, but it's not up to me, I'm just the graphics guy. We've been getting loads of positive feedback though, so maybe Bisse will be up for finishing it off.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 07:11:02 AM »

Cool! Wink

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 07:31:30 AM »

Dang!  4 days is really impressive.  Hats off, man. Smiley

I'm pretty sure if you made a full game of this quality, you'd be an overnight sensation in the independent community (at the very least).  Definitely consider it!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2007, 08:46:35 PM »

Frontpage'd!

I may have made a mistake.  Or many mistakes.

Just tell me if you find any, alright?  Wink

Grindie
Pixelhead
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2007, 01:53:31 AM »

Frontpage'd!

I may have made a mistake.  Or many mistakes.

Just tell me if you find any, alright?  Wink

Excellent! Thanks.

Diptera
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 09:09:54 PM »

This is sweet. If you guys are up to another couple of levels it would make a great "demake".

For some reason, I couldn't really beat the level. After completing all the tasks and jumping off the dam, Bond just hangs there for a couple of minutes until the cord stops moving, but I didn't get a score or anything. Am I missing something?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic