Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:00:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeToday I created...
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 115
Print
Author Topic: Today I created...  (Read 463356 times)
golemshaper
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2060 on: January 22, 2013, 04:58:40 AM »

It was made from scratch. Look 5 pieces of plywood, a CNC machine, 6 cans of spray paint, and a lot of screws.  Cool

Check out Two Brothers on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AckkStudios
And check out the DevLog here.
Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: January 27, 2013, 01:10:58 AM »

Going to try and fix it to look better tomorrow, redo the lemon slice and spend more time on the texture.

biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »

Made a guy and some animations. Lack of IK controls made the chopping pretty annoying to animate. I should also add some extra loops in the joints to conserve volumes.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: January 27, 2013, 11:55:26 PM »

Finished.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: January 28, 2013, 12:57:33 AM »

Finished.
Okay, I laughed at the fact that your unfinished drink was empty, and this one is full.
(Also it's called 'Glass o Juice' but it looks more like soda, which is why I'm confused as to why there's a lemon)

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: January 28, 2013, 05:55:04 PM »

Finished.
Okay, I laughed at the fact that your unfinished drink was empty, and this one is full.
(Also it's called 'Glass o Juice' but it looks more like soda, which is why I'm confused as to why there's a lemon)
It's a mystery! Evil

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2066 on: January 28, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »

@Armageddon - Awesome drink!
@biomechanic - Really cool style and animations!

Now I want to make a low-poly 3D game...

@thread - I made a pixel-art tip video, this one talking about outlines.

Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2067 on: January 30, 2013, 12:42:38 PM »

Hand Any Key

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »

I looked at that and thought "Oh shit, daleks have wheels now".

Now thinking about that, it really would make them worse, wouldn't it?

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: February 01, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »

I looked at that and thought "Oh shit, daleks have wheels now".

Now thinking about that, it really would make them worse, wouldn't it?

Exterrrrrminaaaaaaaaaaaaaate.
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2070 on: February 03, 2013, 01:01:30 AM »

Code:
//create
i = 0;

//draw
i = 0;
do{
    draw_sprite_ext(spr_line,0,x,y,1,1,i,c_white,1)
    i += 1
    ;
} until (i == 360);

Pretty.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

desdinova
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: February 03, 2013, 05:19:14 AM »

I haven't posted here in a loooong time (took a break from programming, other things got in the way). But over the past two months I really got hooked again.  The player is the little green box

This is something I made today in Javascript and HTML5.  I've been wanting to make a rouguelike for ages so I did this in my little capsule hotel room in Japan.  The river and house are my first dips into procedural generation.  I'm looking to add curvature to the river and more rooms to the house in the next few days.  I am also loving working with Javascript.  The only real problems I'm stuck on are what to do about reading external data and lagless input (which I believe can be fixed with JQuery?)
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2072 on: February 03, 2013, 05:20:28 AM »

Finally had time off my "day"-job to get some game coding done.

Click for GIF of the combo being destroyed - 4.4MB

Today I made demo record/playback so the engine can output image streams w/o a screen recorder.  Currently only directly encodes to .GIF, but I'm ~40% finished with my own WebM compatible encoder implementation.

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #2073 on: February 03, 2013, 11:12:29 AM »

Finally had time off my "day"-job to get some game coding done.

Click for GIF of the combo being destroyed - 4.4MB

Today I made demo record/playback so the engine can output image streams w/o a screen recorder.  Currently only directly encodes to .GIF, but I'm ~40% finished with my own WebM compatible encoder implementation.

How does one make all those cool effects? :<
Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2074 on: February 03, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »

Loops, math, and particles, I assume!

VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2075 on: February 03, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »

Loops, math, and particles, I assume!

Yep. That's pretty much it.  Start with some simple vector math and work your way up.  Also, additive blending, additive blending everywhere -- it's cheap and doesn't need depth-sorting.

This minigame is implemented completely within my engine's 3D-HUD API (using placeholder-images) -- it's really just to stress test the GUI & event systems in use in a larger game (it's tucked in the other game's level editor as an easter egg).

The particle swarm for the beam is simply a spherical distribution of particles that interpolate appearances as they get closer to the center point, animated via basic Newtonian gravity equation -- If the particle cloud were much larger you'd see some start orbiting, but since they're so near to the intangible center point of a much larger mass they whip around and past -- a gravity slingshot.  It's very inefficient managing all that in a component hierarchy; I really wouldn't recommend adding gravity physics or thousands of animated label items to a GUI -- the tree view of the menu's properties brings my system to its knees. Tongue

The "beam" needs a lot more work, but it's just two triangles \|/ (instead of one, to prevent texture warping) with a wrapped/tile-repeating scrolling texture -- part of the Virgon (Galactic) Lexicon.  You don't have to invent a language with highly OCR-able glyphs and Reverse Polish Notation grammar that's easy for machine intelligences to read and understand just to make the effect, I'm just using it as a placeholder graphic.

Since I slept it's a new day for me, so: Today I made image frame delta compression multi-threaded.  Theoretically, up to 4096 cores, but I'm only able to verify 8.  It's about 6x faster for me to encode a GIF video now. I should be able to use the same worker-thread pool in the WebM encoder too...

13MB .GIF clip.

This is a longer recording, so I made it lower-res (also to test out variable res output). It shows a bigger chain destroyed, and the animation of the next pieces, as well as a glimpse of the 3D menu the game is in.

This is something I made today in Javascript and HTML5.  I've been wanting to make a rouguelike for ages so I did this in my little capsule hotel room in Japan.  The river and house are my first dips into procedural generation.  I'm looking to add curvature to the river and more rooms to the house in the next few days.  I am also loving working with Javascript.  The only real problems I'm stuck on are what to do about reading external data and lagless input (which I believe can be fixed with JQuery?)

Sweet.  I did some JS+HTML game coding about a decade ago in the early HTML4.01 days (to teach myself JavaScript). The new HTML5 canvas & audio tags are really nice.  The trick to less input lag is to do the input update logic (move the player, whatever) in the onKeyDown event, but that's kind of hackish...  Alternatively I set input flags in the event handler and used a "main loop" function that updates every 10ms { setInterval( mainLoop, 10 ) }, and only draws a new frame if input was received or the desired frame delay has passed (use wall clock time via Date() to update animations since interval callbacks can be quite stuttery).

JQuery is a bit much, IMO, just test for "element.attachEvent()" and use it in IE, for everything else "element.addEventListener()" -- You'll write two sets of event flag setting functions, but it's much faster than JQuery's complete event system re-implementation, which is kinda slow since it adds layers between the browser and your code that the aforementioned selective event registry technique avoids.

To load external data back in the day you could add an IFRAME and point it to a .JS file that could update the main window's variables, but today's browsers disallow that sort of thing -- You can get around it a bit by using the window.name hack (which gets around cross-domain context restrictions).  My Snack-Man JS game used base 64 encoding and stored all the level data in text strings in its single JS file.  Today I'd recommend an AJAX call to load some XML or JSON document.  Browsers provide XML DOM access to JS similar to the page's DOM, for externally loaded resources.  JSON is nice too, you don't have to walk a DOM to get at your data -- Fetch some JSON encoded data as a text file, then parse it with the browser's JSON parser -- Or, just eval() the fetched text into a var if you can trust the source. This is less secure since you're loading arbitrary JS code, but has the added benefit of being able to encode functionality as well as data: You could load an Enemy that has new behaviors not pre-defined in your main .JS files... helpful for bosses.  You can also construct and append a <script> tag to the current document too -- that's how many JS Bookmarklettes pull in all their extra data and code.

Pretty.

Neat.  That makes all kinds of nutty Moiré effects on my laptop screen when I scroll.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 05:28:04 PM by VortexCortex » Logged

desdinova
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: February 04, 2013, 05:10:44 PM »

VortexCortex: thanks the help!  I'll try implementing that way of doing inputs tonight
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2077 on: February 08, 2013, 02:40:30 AM »

Today I created an Import/Export feature for some of our existing font formats.  This one's an importer for the Eternity Engine's CONCHARS lump (EE is a Doom 'sourceport'), which I can find no other image importer/exporter for, even among WAD tools.  Of course we can use common image formats too, this just adds support for some more obscure formats.

All the devs on our project are or were classic Doom modders.  It would be a shame to let all those original assets we made go to waste.  Bonus, once the game editor's out other modders can import resources from their existing WADS to use in new mods... Not that I expect anyone to make user generated content for our game, but if I've got to make the editing tools anyway might as well let the end users have 'em too.

Eventually I'll get around to replacing that hard to read glowing placeholder font...  Yes, the BG skybox looks like actual crap on purpose.  It's for the same reason the menu font is hard to read: To motivate us to make the replacements.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 04:00:32 AM by VortexCortex » Logged

JakobProgsch
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2078 on: February 08, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »

I got sidetracked playing with raycasting in a java software renderer and today I added fog and cutout transparency

JakobProgsch
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: February 08, 2013, 04:25:59 PM »

And then I went on to create a day night cycle

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 115
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic