Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:19:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingĐiệnWorlds - power grid managment/sim/strategy game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: ĐiệnWorlds - power grid managment/sim/strategy game  (Read 633 times)
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2016, 09:13:30 PM »

ĐiệnWorlds is a management/sim/strategy game in which you place wires and other components to power houses and businesses, to (in turn) make money from them and (hopefully) make a profit. At its core, ĐiệnWorlds follows the rules of the cellular automaton Wireworld (created by Brian Silverman in 1987). For flavor and for gameplay purposes, other rules and overarching mechanics have been added.

ĐiệnWorlds is a work-in-progress, and I plan on continuing to update it with new features and/or polish. There is no sound or music at the moment, but there will be. You can download the latest version at the link below (Windows-only at the moment, though the .exe should run fine in Wine - a proper Linux port may be coming soon).

IMPORTANT: This game has no tutorial. I would highly recommend reading the ĐiệnWorldsInstructions PDF, found in the main download .zip (or viewable at the link above) to learn how to play (at the very least, consult the "In-Game Controls" and "Starting your first game" sections).

Right now, I'm mostly looking for people to comment on the game's balance.  Once you felt like you got the hang of it, did anything (in terms of costs) feel unfair?  I don't even know what the "optimal" strategy may be - I want to encourage players to experiment and try a variety of things (for, I think, that makes these kinds of games most fun).

Of course, any and all other feedback is welcome.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 08:25:50 PM by Theta » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 12:39:33 AM »

I've updated to v0_9_4.  This version has a "upgrading" houses feature; with a small probability each time step, powered houses will now randomly increase their required Current value by 1.  This was done in effort to improve players' experience later in the game, as well as provide additional incentive to maintain power to houses,

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 08:29:43 PM »

I've implemented a new mechanic - storms and lightning. Storms may periodically occur throughout the game. During storms, lightning can strike your power grid, and destroy a part of it. However, lightning will only strike Wire/Transformer cells, so having lots of charges on your grid at once will decrease your chances of it being hit (but, of course, this will cost more in load maintenance!).

A new version (v0_9_6) is uploaded, and the OP has been updated.  Any and all suggestions/comments are welcome!

Kyuugatsu
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 10:04:33 PM »

- would be cool to allow WASD
- took me some time to figure out A places the wires
- I never figured out how to get current flowing

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 10:53:18 PM »

- would be cool to allow WASD
- took me some time to figure out A places the wires
- I never figured out how to get current flowing
Did you happen to take a look at the instructions PDF?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic