Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:57:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 35
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 35  (Read 17066 times)
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2016, 04:04:43 AM »

Keep up everybody!

A capture of my morphing animals:

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2016, 06:07:44 AM »

Looking good skaz, loving the transformations. 

I'm aiming for a dodge em up played on a shape-shifting world.  Think monkey ball meets geometry wars.  Here's what I got so far:

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2016, 07:46:31 AM »

I've wanted to take part in one of these for a while but don't usually find the time.  Today though I've got the house to myself and no responsibilities for about the next 10 hours, minus an hour or two to watch the F1, so I'm thinking I'll give something a crack  Smiley

The say fine folk are supposed to arrive late to parties.  Gentleman

Summing up the Pomodoros gives me roughly 10 hours of focused work so far, and I just got to the point where my game can be won and lost. I'm a relatively slow code, people who can really crunch impress me.

Best of luck!

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2016, 08:15:24 AM »

So far so good:

Expect for this bug, which I'm calling it "paranormal activity":

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »

I'm dropping out. I guess this marks my third failed Ludum Dare (out of 14 LDs total).

My idea involved shapeshifting the game itself; it's normally a tile-based top-down graphical game, but by pressing 'Shift' it became a text-based game.

Unfortunately it was more of a gimmick than a game, and with 5.5 hours remaining there is still no fun core gameplay. I can do many things in 5.5 hours, but making this game fun is not one of them. I'm not sure if this is fixable at all, since it lacks a fun core gameplay component.

Lesson learned: Fuck gimmicks. It made me fail an LD before (LD30, 'Connected Worlds', I tried to have a game where the game world was formed by activity in an IRC channel) but I figured that was because implementing the gimmick took too much time. Next time I'll be staying away from gimmicks (even if I can implement them in a reasonable timespan) and focus on making a fun game first.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2016, 02:34:48 PM »

Too bad, VDZ. Sad Can't say you don't have interesting ideas, tho. Experimentation is a great reason to do LD, even if you don't submit.

Good job by everyone so far again!

Here's the next part of our game... You'll be shifting between two characters and use their respective abilities to solve puzzles and advance. The tadpole shapeshifts narratively throughout the game and the octopus mechanically throughout. So that's our interpretation.

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2016, 03:29:39 PM »

Wooo my first Ludum Dare is complete.  Good luck everyone still doing finishing touches  Coffee

Polymorph Ludum Dare

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2016, 04:02:40 PM »

Dropping out. Turns out making a raycasting engine in game maker is too tough for me to make in two days. I'll keep hacking at the thing over the next weeks or so though, because I really want to succeed eventually.

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2016, 04:31:15 PM »

Shapeshifting..

Love this Ludum Dare concept, as quite new to it, as well as this forum, and I love some of the stuff you guys have come up with. I see I have ~30 minutes to complete the task if I join in, so I'll have to skip this one. Motoherp and Prinsessa.. Very nice. Your work made an instant impression when browsing through this thread. Lots of other good stuff too.

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2016, 05:39:39 PM »

Submitted! Very happy with it! I wish I always could be as productive as I am during Ludum Dare. Too tired to play anything at the moment though. Good luck everyone!

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-35/?action=preview&uid=47199

« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 04:09:56 PM by Silkworm_sweatshop » Logged

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2016, 05:57:12 PM »

This LD went fairly smoothly for me, although I did leave the art and audio til last minute.
Fairly happy with my entry loads of stuff I'd like to have added as is always the case with jams.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-35/?action=preview&uid=41490

ProjectX593
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2016, 08:32:12 PM »

Done! This is my third LD entry, Changeling Infiltration Simulator!

I went with a puzzle game this time. Haven't done one before but I think it turned out pretty well. Was predictably panicked and working furiously right up until the end!

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-35/?action=preview&uid=19774

NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2016, 09:03:43 PM »

So I had fun with my sky...Iron Butterfly comes to mind.

Okay I'm almoooooost there...gonna have to record and implement audio tomorrow.

There is a fair bit to do in the mean time and I'm considering pulling an all-nighter so I don't have to cut anything I had in mind.

@Skaz Blasphemy!!!  The bear is clearly the perfect form for all situations...it need not shapeshift to overcome!  Bearkind will not take the message you're spreading lightly...  Panda Panda Panda

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2016, 09:58:39 PM »

Shapeshifting..

Love this Ludum Dare concept, as quite new to it, as well as this forum, and I love some of the stuff you guys have come up with. I see I have ~30 minutes to complete the task if I join in, so I'll have to skip this one. Motoherp and Prinsessa.. Very nice. Your work made an instant impression when browsing through this thread. Lots of other good stuff too.
You have the whole day today too if you want, actually! The compo is 48 hours, but the jam is 72. Plus an extra submission hour for both. Also generally more relaxed rules in the jam.

And thanks. :$

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2016, 11:43:30 PM »

Shapeshifting..

You have the whole day today too if you want, actually! The compo is 48 hours, but the jam is 72. Plus an extra submission hour for both. Also generally more relaxed rules in the jam.

And thanks. :$
That's not enough time for me, I actually just began something in blender on which I could pull in my gf for the jam. But I haven't done 3D morphing for many years, and soon saw a long road ahead of me with shapekeys and tons of nodes for what I wanted to do. But thanks for the headsup in any case.. And good luck!

2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2016, 01:50:47 AM »

Well, I did say it wasn't enough time for me, and here's the evidence: Morphing of complex shapes.. A bat to an xbox 360 controller. But I don't think this controller would be easy to play with in its current state. Insta fail!

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2016, 02:44:25 AM »

It's nice to sleep!

@maruki: love the art! Love the bug too :p I usually have a similar one in game maker because of the way I handle collision with while loops.

@VDZ too bad! Your idea gave me another idea: a tetris/platformer game local multiplayer pvp. One plays tetris and must make lines and crush the other player, which plays a platformer on the bricks. Madness.

Submitted! Very happy with it! I wish I always could be as productive as I am during Ludum Dare. Too tired to play anything at the moment though.

Ahah you tell me. I feel like I make more stuff in 48 hours than I make in 6 months. Go figure. I'll go play some Donkey Kong Country 2 to stop thinking about the jam, and go back playing jam games later.

To everyone, this year I'm not going on holiday right after the LD, so I'll play way more games. Expect comment for every Tig submission Smiley

So, thing went smoothly for me, I spent way more time than I expected on sprites, and one quarter of my time in I only had a running bear. I made a running hare, and a flying crow too. When I started working on the game itself, It was nearly half the first day past.

But I made a simple runner, so no fancy coding. It was playable at the end of the first day, first level designed to teach the bear mechanics was done. I think having something playable half in is very important, you can get some rest with a light mind.

Second day was graphics, level design, debugging, testing, and a few hours before the submission I decided to make a hub area with score displayed and statues to enter levels. It was pretty mad, I barely made it! The game title was finished 20 minutes before the end.

I don't know how you people handle jams, but I wasn't that stressed, I even spent some time making a cardboard elastic shooting gun (which doesn't works). Put films I already seen on the second monitor while designing and texturing the levels, watched youtube videos. Ate cookies. A lot.

So, here is my submission:

No dwarves. There is no dwarves in my game. What a twist! But here are some statues that are pretty much dwarven inspired. Even the name can make a nice dwarven pokemon game : WILD RUNES. AWESOME.

It's a runner, you have three levels to figure out each animal, and one level to learn how to switch between them. And that's all, the last level is a mess, to hard, not finished, but I left it in, I'm sadistic I want you to suffer! :p

It look so peaceful. It's not.It's WILD!

Here the link: WILD RUN

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2016, 03:57:57 AM »

Got my entry finished just in time once again. Thought I was going pretty well until the last day when one piece of code took me hours to figure out.

It's a pattern dancing game where you have to keep the dancer going as long as possible. Wanted to do a lot more with it but it's Ludum Dare so there's always next time.

Everyone's game's are looking great and I'll have to play them all after I've caught up on some sleep.

Link to page

Brutally Shifty Dance Crew

Wisedawn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »

Good work, everyone! I am done with my Jam entry, a basic shmup with a twist. Not happy about it due to balance, bugs and lack of music, but better than nothing! I was planning to work on it a bit more but I have academic obligations today. Perhaps I will work on it later.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2016, 10:58:59 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic