Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:24:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArcher V2
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Archer V2  (Read 5335 times)
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 05, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »

I haven't found a composer or sound designer for this project so if you are interested feel free to send my a message and I'll check out  your portfolio.

I've been streaming art for the game recently. If you want to get notified follow my twitch account here:
https://www.twitch.tv/mutterwerks

if you want to support the development you can donate via patreon.

Working on a new version of an old project. I probably won't be posting everyday but I'd like to keep updates as consistent as possible.

I'm posting videos on twitter @gmvsv for now, but I'll probably be using gfycat in the future. Here are some links to the video clips.

Bomb arrow testing.

Physics rope cut testing.

Melee enemy testing.

Simple obstacle avoidance testing.

Teleport arrow wall-jump testing.

Arrow-tracking shield enemy test.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:07:23 PM by gabev » Logged
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:47:39 PM »

FUCK YES FINALLY

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:50:16 AM »

Good to see you back dude <3

ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 06:43:38 AM »

<3
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 12:42:07 AM »

Vertex shader grass first test.

Vertex shader grass following tests.

Crossbro and physics gibs testing.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 02:25:15 AM »

Archer was the original reason I joined these forums so it's nice to see it coming back Smiley

ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 03:17:19 AM »

Today I've mostly been generalizing some different objects like projectiles and actors. Nothing too exciting. I'd like to start playing around with more enemy types tomorrow including some that have integrated physics components.

I also changed the projectile arrow damage to be based on it's speed and weight, rather than just have a flat damage, which I think resonates more with the physics-y nature of the game.

Here's a bug from the bat AI code that I was updating. Forgot to give them a spawnsleep state.

It's raining bats.

Having fun in the sandbox.

By the way, does anyone here have experience with box2D? What's the best way to move the anchor of a rope without causing problems? You can see the issue I'm dealing with in the second gif - the top segment gets stretched out.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 10:45:30 AM by gabev » Logged
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »

More rope stuff today. Added ability for other objects to be bound the rope and ability for ropes to split into two branches. Managed to fix my issue from yesterday by swapping out distance joints for rope joints (lol).

Rope cutting tests.
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:23:20 AM »

Got moving platforms mostly sorted today, though there are still a couple issues with the orbiting/circular moving platforms.

Kind of dreading having to do more trajectory math for the enemy AI now.

Edit : Well I did it with some help and it was way easier than i thought lol

Moving platform tests.

Predictive aiming test.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:11:52 PM by gabev » Logged
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 11:19:05 AM »

I was reaching a point of diminishing returns with programming so I took a break and did some sketching and some little top-down design drawings. I might do another day of drawing tomorrow before diving in and implementing these moth people in the game.

I'm not keeping any lore from the previous version of the game so I'm having fun imagining how this world works. There have been a lot of little moths flying around my house lately so I was inspired to design some moth people.

Moth princess.

A set of moth-themed enemies.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:24:19 PM by gabev » Logged
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 07:19:44 PM »

Was planning to work on the drawings I started yesterday but ended up getting the itch to do some sprite tests. I'm not sure how well these will look or how I will even go about animating them (I'd like to do physics/programmatic animation where possible), so for now they will just be static placeholders.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:44:08 PM by gabev » Logged
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 02:42:05 PM »

Finished up these test sprites from yesterday.

I started these the day before yesterday and I wanted to finish them, but I think I'll just go ahead and move onto the next thing. I want to keep a brisk pace and avoid getting bogged down in anything.

My plan is to allow you to side with either the moth kingdom or butterfly kingdom who are at war with one another. I want to keep the moth designs simple, modest, and with neutral colours, and have the butterflies be colourful and flamboyant. I have some good ideas for the butterflies so I'm gonna do them next and then jump back into the code and implement these before doing anything else.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:35:38 AM by gabev » Logged
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 06:09:24 PM »

I started working on some sketches for the butterflies today but I wasn't really feeling it and they didn't turn out well. But I got the mothfolk test sprites into the game and started working on their AI. At the moment it's just copied from my test enemies but I'd like to flesh it out over the next few days. I have most of the framework projectile and attack code ready, but it'll still require a lot of new code to handle everything. I'm also gonna look into ways to programmatically do wing-flapping animations.

Butterfly princess.

New mothfolk enemies testing.

Personal note: enemy that is a turtle and hugs walls/ceilings, arrows deflect off shell but can be killed with a nearby bomb arrow/explosion.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 08:46:54 PM by gabev » Logged
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »

oh
my
goooooooooooddd
 Hand Shake Left Tears of Joy  Hand Shake Right

Words can't describe what I just felt seeing this in the DevLog section again
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 02:18:44 AM »

These illustrations are so mesmerising.

ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 08:57:27 PM »

I started getting the flying baddies online. Everything is janky right now and the projectiles don't even collide but I got some good work done on generalizing the AI behaviours. I'm happy with the sinwave scaling flap animation for now, but in the future it would be cool to give the wings some kind of cloth physics when they fall and die. Maybe something similar for the antennae as well.

I realized these sprites are pretty complex and would require a lot of animation to look nice. Like right now you can also see that right now when they die they just turn into a physics object and kind of clunk to the ground like a statue, so I'm thinking of some kind of animation where they disintegrate into a lot of smaller moth particles or something in order to avoid dealing with death animations. I might also do ragdoll physics if I decide to do a skeletal animation system with Spine or whatever that GM-friendly skeletal animation software is called.

New mothfolk enemy testing.

@FK in the Coffee, JctWood
<3
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:09:24 AM by gabev » Logged
ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 01:12:22 PM »

Didn't get a whole lot done today but I did manage to make progress on the enemy AI aiming. They now have general behaviours for different kinds of aiming (linear direct, linear leading, arcing direct, arcing leading) depending on the properties of the projectile. I still have to do some code for picking what shot to use but after that I can move on to the next thing, which will probably be mounts.

Oh, and I also added some code for motion trails which I forgot to mention yesterday. I'm not sure if I actually like the look of them though.

Enemy AI aimlead testing.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:09:29 AM by gabev » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 01:49:28 PM »

good to see this back

ag radley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2016, 06:11:10 PM »

Got a moderate amount done today. Finished the enemy shooting behaviour (for now), but in the future I will probably have to redo it if I want a more robust AI system.

I also added a small system for tracking and interacting with context options (doors, chests, rideable stuff, that kind of thing), and as a result of that improved the input system quite a bit. I think I will add in gamepad support now so I don't have to change a lot of stuff later. After that it will be mounts.

Just a shot of the test sandbox.

this is not how this is supposed to work
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:35:47 AM by gabev » Logged
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2016, 06:31:20 PM »

Holy cow, how long has it been? Hype

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic