Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:14:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDoom
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Doom  (Read 6712 times)
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2016, 10:27:18 AM »

Add your verdict when you actually play games, dork.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2016, 10:37:05 AM »

Add your verdict when you actually play games, dork.
that's what i intend to do, as stated. many thanks
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2016, 12:03:51 PM »

No You see
'Play Games'
as a general statement.

What I'm saying is you don't play games.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2016, 12:12:48 PM »

why would NOT playing games make him a dork?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 12:20:01 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »

this is certainly an unusual way of thinking
Magurp244
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »

Perhaps its because gaming is whats "cool" right now. In days of yore Jocks would hold terror over geeks who were "Uncool", today geek's run rampant through the halls giving non-gamers wedgies and purple nurples, mocking them mercilessly for not dressing up like Hello Kitty, or knowing the lastest Big Bang Theory gossip...
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2016, 01:27:14 PM »

why would NOT playing games make him a dork?
He's actually just a dork regardless of whether or not he plays games.

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2016, 01:52:08 PM »

yeah because being bullied for playing video games was a thing that ever happened and not just revisionist history by people born in 1998

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »

well that may be but you can't deny that a large percentage of the people who post on computer game forums received near endless swirlies for other reasons to the extent that one day their graves are going to be found by archaeologists who propose that there was a separate race of human beings who dwelled in upturned toilets like bipedal hermit crabs
Magurp244
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2016, 04:28:15 PM »

yeah because being bullied for playing video games was a thing that ever happened and not just revisionist history by people born in 1998

Less games specifically, and more about dominant clique's bullying non-conformists, not for the victims interests but for their lack of conformity to the dominant clique's interests. Needless to say, now that Geeks/Gamers are a dominant group we're seeing more stuff like this, and this.

...one day their graves are going to be found by archaeologists who propose that there was a separate race of human beings who dwelled in upturned toilets like bipedal hermit crabs

And they shall be world famous for their exhibit: La vie du la Toilette Gens...
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2016, 07:44:12 PM »

I never thought I'd see the day some idiot would use the term 'revisionist history' to describe a time period about videogames.

But it's funny you say something dumb like that. I was treated as the punching bag in school for liking videogames and having a Mario backpack through half of elementary school. There's plenty of other kids who got shit on for it, especially anyone who went to arcades. Not the way movies make that shit out though, that's garbage cooked up by hollywood.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2016, 01:42:19 AM »

How old are you? I'm in my mid 20s and in my school days it would have been weird NOT to play videogames. I distinctly remember wanting a gameboy because all the other kids had one.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2016, 02:03:38 AM »

It's more important to ask which country, which state  Blink

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2016, 02:19:33 AM »

yeah if anything having cool gaming hardware was a status symbol (like having a cool bike) and being good at games was almost as good as being good at sports.
someone should start a massive survey project and make a world heat map of where this elusive video game bullying actually took place irl

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2016, 03:06:21 AM »

Well you did kinda get made fun of for playing something like magic the gathering or D&D, but it wasn't bullying. I mean, full disclosure: I WAS bullied my earlier years in school but never for videogames or any other "nerd" hobby.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2016, 03:30:50 AM »

It isn't specifically video games but like Magurp said, you get bullied for non-conforming. Kids will bully that guy/girl who is different from the others. If you're the only kid who plays gameboy before class then yeah, it's highly likely that people will make fun of you for it.

And the difference between "being made fun of" and "being bullied" really depends on how you take it. Some people can shake it off, others can't. If someone feels hurt then I wouldn't try to argue that their feelings are incorrect and that what they are experiencing doesn't really exist.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2016, 04:50:53 AM »

well iunno my high school experience was that every clique kinda made fun of each others' interests. our "nerd" clique would make fun of the "goth" kids for dressing in black and listening to slipknot and korn just like they would make fun of us for playing magic. playing videogames was actually one of the few "conformist" things i did. i was a real fish out of water in primary school and hated it there (long story), but videogames, and more specifically pokemon, was a way i could kinda get along with my classmates. but whatever.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2016, 05:07:36 AM »

this brings up a salient point: the new doom won't give rise to a new generation of dylan & erics because the protagonist is physically strong and thus wholly unrelatable
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2016, 05:09:32 AM »

I wasn't really ever "bullied", but I remember that people made fun of me through primary school for being naive towards things like sex and general social ability. I had a few friends (thank god) but most people I knew were assholes in my opinion, so I didn't bother to socialize with them.

Video games were a form of escapism from that I think, because I could just be alone and enjoy something by myself (also why I played with lego a lot). But my parents were really strict on that, and that was actually a really big source of strain on our family (still is, actually) and I just wish they would have just let me do whatever in my free time because I don't see what the possible harm could have been.

tl;dr my classmates were dicks which caused me to turn to video games, but my parents shunned that so I in turn hated them for a long time for it.

this brings up a salient point: the new doom won't give rise to a new generation of dylan & erics because the protagonist is physically strong and thus wholly unrelatable

Oh yeah this is a doom thread lol

zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2016, 07:20:38 AM »

I never thought I'd see the day some idiot would use the term 'revisionist history' to describe a time period about videogames.

So you complain about being bullied then respond to a most likely not-too-serious remark with "dumb/idiot" combo? We must be on a gaming forum :D

But yeah, maybe it`s one of these parallel universes thingymajigs.  In my time and era videogames were actually the only common ground for our version of jocks/nerds. In fact the biggest nerd was revered for his 1337 skillz (hardware modding an Atari 800XL was indeed impressive).

And arcades were full of the toughest kids, requiring actual scouting missions and hiding $$ in socks to avoid getting mugged.

So, dunno, maybe you just grew up in a PC MASTER RACE infected school, seeing as they were allergic to Mario?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic