Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:22:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe UK leaves the European Union
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: The UK leaves the European Union  (Read 9616 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2016, 09:54:44 PM »

Well, this is going to be a nightmare for everyone involved.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:06:52 PM »

I can't think of a reason anyone would think this was a good idea beyond like, absolute filthy xenophobia
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 10:11:17 PM »

the power of democracy
zadokallen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:37:25 PM »

Shit. I said earlier it would be a laugh if it happened because of general paradoxical stupidity of the whole thing, but now that it actually happened I simply can`t believe it.

It`s terrifying how easily brainwashed people are. And not even stereotypical born`n bred Ingerland! working class or staunch Torry toffs... My landlady, for example, who`s an all round great girl, yet went and voted out. Some of second-generation immigrants I know who voted out. Mind boggling.
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 11:16:28 PM »

I often find myself saying this but I don't understand why there should ever be a conscience vote by laypeople regarding an economic issue that is beyond their comprehension.

I imagine being an economist to be the most frustrating job in the world, because you spend most of your life determining the correct course of action and then watching people who couldn't manage the bank in a game of monopoly do the exact opposite.

It's not just limited to economics, either. We have conscience votes (be it in parliment or in public) on things such as GMOs, whether certain drugs (recreational or pharmaceutical) are dangerous enough to be outlawed, how best to implement public infrastructure, whether "GMO"s should be banned, and the like. In all of these cases, it's either politicians (usually only qualfied in politics and perhaps business) or your average Joe Six-tooth, who get to decide on these matters. You may as well just flip a damn coin for all the sense it makes.

On subjective matters, I can completely understand that it is important to hear the voice of either the public or its representatives to reach moral consensus. But for all the other shit, where people spend their lives becoming experts in it only to have their reasoned judgement be thrown out the window purely because the other option is worth more votes or tugs more heartstrings when they put violin music behind it on A Current Affair? Fuck that. I'd rather live in a technocracy.

My opinion on the majority of these matters is worth precisely nothing. I have no idea why I should have the right to vote on them.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:25:17 PM »

Well, it happened. Cameron resigned.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:43 PM »

I can't think of a reason anyone would think this was a good idea beyond like, absolute filthy xenophobia
You think there's no inherent value in sovereignty at all - a value that perhaps cannot be measured in money? It's all about the economy for you guys?

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:09 PM »

i'm not sure what's the most ironic way to say fuck this stupid country
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:45:42 PM »

but wait
that's not all
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 12:01:36 AM »

You think there's no inherent value in sovereignty at all - a value that perhaps cannot be measured in money? It's all about the economy for you guys?

I didn't even mention "the economy"
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 12:02:33 AM »

i'm not sure what's the most ironic way to say fuck this stupid country

Just be honest
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 12:06:55 AM »

Do you honestly believe this going to be a net positive thing for the UK
fergie77
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:01 AM »

Totally can't believe it, the split across the nation is crazy. If Scotland doesn't get another referendum I'm leaving. The voting system is so broken.

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:28 AM »

Like there's a case for self-governance to be made but let's be clear:  The idea that ~sovereignty~ is some honorable mystic ideal that outshines any other day to day concern is how you end up with the Malheur sanctuary standoff:  People willing to burn everything to the ground in the name of "freedom" while actually drastically reducing their opportunities in life.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:46 AM »

Do you honestly believe this going to be a net positive thing for the UK
I don't. I actually would have voted to Remain, if I was in the UK.

But you have to realize that implying 50% of the population are filthy racists with mud for brains won't convince them to see the error of their ways. We tried that with the Sweden Democrats and it was a terrible idea.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 12:12:57 AM »

Cameron may have made one of the biggest blunders of the 21st century
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 12:15:26 AM »

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 12:16:40 AM »

I specifically used the word xenophobia because of the broader UK dislike of being part of Europe rather than open racism, so I dunno why you feel the need to construe my point as saying they have "mud for brains".  You're reading a lot into what I say and then fighting a windmill.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 12:23:50 AM »

i can do my phd in canada and get paid twice as much as in the uk. or i can do it in the uk and also have to get a retail job to sponsor a visa for my foreign wife that i wouldnt have to do if i were an eu citizen or from any other country on earth except the uk: lol
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 12:24:42 AM »

the architects of this policy are definitely NOT racist its just a coincidence that it is applied to a majority of non whites
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic