Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 07:40:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralThe UK leaves the European Union
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Print
Author Topic: The UK leaves the European Union  (Read 9621 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »

after i saw these headlines in 2014 i knew: these people and their media counterparts are who i want to run the country, free from the oppressive yoke of europe who insist on things like basic rights

i like how openly trashing the declaration of human rights isn't just something 3rd world dictators do anymore, but has spread to european right wing politicians. definitely not a problematic development at all. the right wing party in my country has also criticized human rights, mainly for allowing all those Scary Brown People Who Are Definitely All Terrrrists from the middle east to seek asylum here.
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 01, 2016, 01:06:13 AM »

Exclusive: Nigel Farage's Plan for UK Departure of the EU

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2016, 01:47:31 AM »

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 04, 2016, 04:41:18 AM »

[legacy of kain font] Legacy of Cunts
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: July 04, 2016, 05:21:31 AM »

He said that last year only to come back like a week later Lips Sealed

Life sucks and then you die.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 04, 2016, 08:40:53 AM »

bon farage
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: July 04, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »

Hoping he spends more time flying planes
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »

Sunkenship.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2016, 11:47:20 PM »

bon farage

I keep thinking about this and wishing it was a headline on a newsrag and some misbegotten sense of pride had him buy a copy and frame it and decades from now he realizes that it means "good i'm glad he's gone"
2mass
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2016, 11:54:49 PM »

The mortgage on a ton of Danish houses just dropped 1.5% as a direct cause of Brexit.

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 05, 2016, 02:45:37 AM »

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 05, 2016, 02:54:35 AM »

bon farage

I keep thinking about this and wishing it was a headline on a newsrag and some misbegotten sense of pride had him buy a copy and frame it and decades from now he realizes that it means "good i'm glad he's gone"

The most mindblowing thing is that some people are like "good on him" and trying to frame this as a "quitting while he's ahead", rather than chickening out so he doesn't have to own up to his bullshit (which is what this obviously is). Wat a heck.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: July 06, 2016, 02:35:40 AM »

bon farage

The most mindblowing thing is that some people are like "good on him" and trying to frame this as a "quitting while he's ahead", rather than chickening out so he doesn't have to own up to his bullshit (which is what this obviously is). Wat a heck.

You're referring to the same group of people who voted out to begin with so not surprising.

Life sucks and then you die.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2016, 03:26:19 AM »

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/after-brexit-academics-need-to-get-out-more/

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2016, 03:58:32 AM »

lol
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 06, 2016, 03:59:23 AM »

Now that my opinion has been vindicated those who opposed me should be put to the sword,

A political thinkpiece by Hunter Crudly-Huxtington, aged 8
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 06, 2016, 04:51:45 AM »

lol what a load of stupid horseshit

A poll conducted in the run up to the referendum suggested 90 per cent of academics intended to vote Remain. We now know that the academics who took to social media to declare ‘I don’t know anyone who is voting Leave’ were not exaggerating. In the days since the referendum result was announced, this unfamiliarity with the strange Other – that is, the 52 per cent of the electorate who voted Leave – has brought many academics’ barely concealed contempt for the masses out into the open.

so what about the 48% (almost 32 million) who voted remain? are those not "the masses"? the article keeps harping on this, mentioning "ordinary people" and etc. so i guess that means the UK consists of 32 millions of ordinary people and another 32 mil of un-ordinary people?

Post-referendum, the outrage scholars have directed at those who voted to leave the EU has sent a very definite message about who is and is not welcome in academia.

in my country, academia and its many conservative and nationalistic fraternities are one of the major recruiting grounds for the far right party. also im in communication studies (one of those dreaded "irrational" humanities!!!) which is overwhelmingly neoliberal rather than any sort of progressive, but ok.

But, for the most part, this newfound love of knowledge, evidence and the truth is coming from the very same people who have made academic careers out of asserting that there is no truth – that, at best, we can have multiple truths, and that knowledge is dependent on the perspective and identity of the originator. Such is their love of knowledge, they readily ditched the canon in a bid to turn the curriculum into relativistic homage to identity politics.

The current demand to ‘fight back against Brexit anti-intellectualism’ unwittingly reveals how little academics understand about what knowledge means. Yes, scholars may have greater access to information and data sets. But there is no one correct way to understand and interpret facts. Information and data may be useful for pub quizzes – as desperate educationalists have often been quick to point out – but knowledge involves an understanding of how people interpret data in relation to their experiences and prior learning.

uh-huh

anyway, this piece is just typical right wing whining that "academia" is "too far left" complete with the usual caricature of academia as some sort of indoctrination camp, plus the completely ridiculous assertion that academics disagreeing with non-academics on things is proof of some sort of corruption. the whole point of academia is to develop new ideas, even (and especially) if those ideas are not commonly accepted. when those evil, out of touch !!REGRESSIVE LEFT!! academics first started developing the ideas that lead to the enlightenment in the mid 18th century, the "average ordinary person" would probably have thought they were crazy. also, certain ideas being more well received than other ideas is totally normal. or is it only a "free marketplace of ideas" when your ideas are popular and otherwise it's an "echo chamber"?

also yes, people tend to stick to their own circles and fear the "other". this is one of the reasons "ordinary" white people who live in fairly isolated rural or suburban communities are the biggest xenophobes and not the ones who actually live with immigrants.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:00:35 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 06, 2016, 04:57:44 AM »

https://www.kent.ac.uk/uelt/staff/apt/profiles/jwilliams.html

ordinary woman from the street right there, folks
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: July 06, 2016, 04:59:24 AM »

after i saw these headlines in 2014 i knew: these people and their media counterparts are who i want to run the country, free from the oppressive yoke of europe who insist on things like basic rights

i like how openly trashing the declaration of human rights isn't just something 3rd world dictators do anymore, but has spread to european right wing politicians. definitely not a problematic development at all. the right wing party in my country has also criticized human rights, mainly for allowing all those Scary Brown People Who Are Definitely All Terrrrists from the middle east to seek asylum here.

So on the flip side, strict immigration laws and media censorship can protect certain structures. "Free and open" systems become dominated by juggernauts (suicide bombers, american media, BigCompanyThatBuysOutCompetitors).

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: July 06, 2016, 04:59:43 AM »

how come so many academics disagree with creationism. whatever happened to ronald raegan's free market

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic