Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:20:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAttempted military coup in Turkey
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Attempted military coup in Turkey  (Read 2204 times)
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2016, 01:10:09 PM »

Live updates here

holy shit
this came out of nowhere

Does anyone know enough about Turkey to provide some context for it? I just saw this and it took me completely off-guard, but this gravity of this is enormous
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:27:49 AM by FK in the Coffee » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »

Does anyone know enough about Turkey to provide some context for it?

they're toppling a borderline dictator after a huge power grab, a near civil war situation with the kurds and a bunch of ISIS terror attacks.

also the military has been traditionally powerful in turkey and there have been other coups in the past. what makes this one different is that everyone thought erdogan had weakened the military to the point where they were unable to act. guess not. it's pretty much a total surprise to everyone.

of course, so far this is just a coup ATTEMPT. we don't know if it'll go through yet. it would change a LOT if it did, what with turkey's important role in the handling of the european refugee crisis and the whole ISIS situation.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:20:30 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »

constitutionally the army are supposed to overthrow any head of state who threatens secularism but also erdogan constantly jailed army guys suspected of plotting coups and now, well. also if the gulen movement is involved then theres lots of us politicians who just blundered their way into supporting what could turn into civil war lol
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 01:32:01 PM »

erdogan appeared live via skype or facetime on cnn turkey and urged people to take to the streets. Hmm.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 01:35:58 PM »

Is Erdogan widely hated by most of the age demographics of Turkey, or is it primarily younger Turks? Just wondering if public opinion would favor the military or Erdogan in this situation.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 01:39:49 PM »

Is Erdogan widely hated by most of the age demographics of Turkey, or is it primarily younger Turks? Just wondering if public opinion would favor the military or Erdogan in this situation.
he has both huge support and huge opposition. theres a report that erdogan is in a plane and was refused landing in istanbul and is seeking asylum in germany, while he was on skype encouraging civil war
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »

Thanks for the reply. Doesn't surprise me that he's such a polarizing figure, reading what I have about him.

Also

Lmao
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 01:54:55 PM »

even outside of turkey the turkish seem to have a complicated relationship with erdogan. he has a lot of support across religious and demographic lines largely due to stability and economic performance but lots of resentment for consolidation of power, media censorship, building a palace, etc
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »

apparently erdogan was refused landing in germany
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 02:06:54 PM »

seeking asylum in germany

hahahaha
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 02:10:02 PM »

just saw a periscope stream of a bunch of guys chanting god is great and climbing all over a tank, then a jeep full of troops rolled up and they climbed down. a soldier just fired shots into the air and is getting the shit beat out of him
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 02:10:18 PM »

https://www.periscope.tv/fatihtezcan/1MYxNzbpwjVxw
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »

Oh wow, it's finally happening? I've been hoping that someone would topple Erdogan's regime for years. Good riddance.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 02:24:41 PM »

not decided yet. i want to see him go as much as the next guy, but atm there's no telling if the military can even follow through and/or if someone more radical than erdogan seizes the opportunity. as mentioned itt, turkey is on the brink of civil war.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 02:29:04 PM »

even outside of turkey the turkish seem to have a complicated relationship with erdogan. he has a lot of support across religious and demographic lines largely due to stability and economic performance but lots of resentment for consolidation of power, media censorship, building a palace, etc

as far as i understand (from my turkish friends and acquaintances), since erdogan is a right wing conservative leader he is popular with conservatives and unpopular with left leaning people. so pretty standard.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2016, 02:39:31 PM »

right now it looks like it's going to fail tbh :/
Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2016, 02:42:07 PM »

what makes you say that its going to fail?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2016, 02:44:44 PM »

too many erdogan supporters out on the streets, opposition parties against it, military leadership seems to be divided. i mean they've officially announced that they've taken over but that's not saying much at this point.

idk just speculating from what little info we have
Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 02:49:26 PM »

fair enough, Erdogan bringing out his supporters was a pretty smart move tbh

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »

its weird to me how many people outside of turkey are supporting a coup with a lot of bloodlust
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic