Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:42:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAttempted military coup in Turkey
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Attempted military coup in Turkey  (Read 2203 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »

every time theres gunfire people hit the deck then start booing afterwards. this is the strangest shit ive ever seen
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2016, 02:52:57 PM »

its weird to me how many people outside of turkey are supporting a coup with a lot of bloodlust

well i live in the easternmost part of central europe and there are lots of turkish immigrants here. so i have quite a few turkish friends and acquaintances. that's why i care on a personal level. also obv this is going to be important for europe.
Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2016, 02:55:18 PM »

I keep seeing all of these military people being convinced not to do whatever they were ordered to do by the higher ups; its fascinating to see

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »

its weird to me how many people outside of turkey are supporting a coup with a lot of bloodlust

well i live in the easternmost part of central europe and there are lots of turkish immigrants here. so i have quite a few turkish friends and acquaintances. that's why i care on a personal level. also obv this is going to be important for europe.
i understand the interest but theres a lot of people cheerleading a military takeover without any actual understanding of who is doing what or why simply because erdogan/islam bad
Juskelis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2016, 02:59:50 PM »

so apparently a lot of soldiers are being arrested

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2016, 03:08:49 PM »

i hope the coup fails. erdogan is a brutal state figure with a lot of power—he's a harmful, dangerous man. however, i can't support overthrowing a democratically elected government, regardless of what i think about erdogan.

while a coup failure would be the best scenario, erdogan will feel more empowered than ever after this, so unfortunately his mandate might get even more punishing for here on. the outcome of this coup is a lose-lose scenario.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 03:14:30 PM by Manuel Magalhães » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2016, 03:39:18 PM »

i hope the coup fails. erdogan is a brutal state figure with a lot of power—he's a harmful, dangerous man. however, i can't support overthrowing a democratically elected government, regardless of what i think about erdogan.

well tbh, erdogan has been undermining democracy and secularism in turkey for a long time now. so i do believe that on those grounds a coup is justified (even constitutionally, as mentioned by super joe).

the reason im not enthusiastic about the coup is because theres too high of a chance that itll make things worse rather than better, civil war being one of the possibilities.
FK in the Coffee
Level 10

meme pixels

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2016, 03:40:51 PM »

Things are looking really bad for the coup right now; everything I've been reading recently makes it seem like it's starting to fall apart
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2016, 03:42:13 PM »

but theres a lot of people cheerleading a military takeover without any actual understanding of who is doing what or why simply because erdogan/islam bad

thats because people are stupid
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2016, 03:43:43 PM »

Things are looking really bad for the coup right now; everything I've been reading recently makes it seem like it's starting to fall apart

the US is supporting erdogan. RIP coup.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2016, 04:08:44 PM »

on line is nuts, you can watch video from the streets and track a flight thats probably erdogan https://www.flightradar24.com/THY8456/a5a3952
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 04:51:20 PM »

prepare for the massive 180 degree turn from every on line wonk shithead now that there's video of lots of dead civilians
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 06:32:32 PM »

" It's Actually Good that people Died, because shucks, islam is bad,"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:40:15 PM by joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ » Logged

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2016, 02:26:31 AM »

Welp, I guess Turkey will become a Saudi-style theocracy now. I feel sad for ppl who have to live in that country while Erdogan dismantles any checks on his power because it will surely happen even more quickly now. Then again I heard there were lots of Erdogan supporters on the streets so maybe a religious government is what the majority of Turks actually want.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 02:44:21 AM »

Btw, just to be clear, being against Erdogan is no more islamophobia than criticizing Israel's policies is antisemitic.

Also I don't support support the coup attempt.

Then again I heard there were lots of Erdogan supporters on the streets so maybe a religious government is what the majority of Turks actually want.

Irrelevant when the will of the majority has disastrous effects on the minority. Tyranny of the majority is a bad thing and not democratic.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2016, 02:46:40 AM »

Btw, is it actually feasible that the Gülen movement has something to do with the coup or is it just scapegoating?
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2016, 05:52:26 AM »

Btw, just to be clear, being against Erdogan is no more islamophobia than criticizing Israel's policies is antisemitic.

Also I don't support support the coup attempt.

Then again I heard there were lots of Erdogan supporters on the streets so maybe a religious government is what the majority of Turks actually want.

Irrelevant when the will of the majority has disastrous effects on the minority. Tyranny of the majority is a bad thing and not democratic.

Viewing the spectacle with excitement that the Bad Islam Group will get killed (as many on reddit, and one on here, are) is qualitatively different -- To indulge your bad analogy: netanyahu is a monster, but if something similar was happening in israel and people were saying some 'bout time' bullshit I'd feel unwelcome.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2016, 07:15:25 AM »

well i was saying "bout time" initially because it looked like a bloodless coup until erdogan told his supporters to take to the streets and the situation escalated into chaos.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2016, 11:46:14 AM »

Turkey coup: 2,700 judges removed from duty following failed overthrow attempt

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2016, 01:28:24 PM »

btw, gülen is not really a "good guy" either. he is still a political islamist in many ways, even if he's "moderate".

that said, i kinda don't believe the gülen movement was actually behind the coup. as i see it, this response is mainly erdogan is mainly erdogan furthering his power grab. he already basically "fired" his prime minister for not being submissive this year.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic