Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:31:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]  (Read 18427 times)
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2016, 04:34:19 PM »

Looks like I won't make it in time for the 48 hour compo, but I'll try for the jam.

I got slowed down greatly due to GM:Studio not playing nice with the new version of Spine, I'd made all these animations I couldn't load into GM. I tried a few things including installing an older version of Spine only to realize I could use the latest version as long as I don't use "shear" and remove any instances of shearing from the animation key frames.

So on one hand, I did not succeed in finishing a game for the compo (like I said, there's still the jam) but I did get a lot more practice time in with Spine and learned a hell of a lot more about it and how it works with GM:Studio so for the long run I've got a nice new tool set to play with.

When Spine/GM:Studio fucked me up the first time I bounced back from that setback and started up something Panzer Dragoon-ish (since for whatever reason "ancient technology makes me think of that series) and while I definitely still need some practice with Spine I find it to be pretty fun to work with.

(Never mind the shitty GIF quality.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 04:41:03 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »

I finished!

It's a bit rushed though, especially in the later level design, sorry.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=45321

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2016, 07:17:01 PM »

I am officially at the "Do I bother adding sound effects to this" stage of my game.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 07:58:56 PM by Alec S. » Logged

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2016, 07:21:43 AM »

It was very tight but I managed to finish something playable and winnable yesterday. I like the overall vibe but I want to replace the movement code altogether.. The music was fun, I made something I didn't really like, but then I put tons of reverb and dist on top of the master track in Ableton and it turned out pretty nice.. Love when a shortcut works.

Having so much fun looking at the crazy stuff people are putting out!

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=110378
The game plays way better with gamepad, but is playable with keyboard as well.

Twitter: @pbergmar
PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2016, 07:36:08 AM »

I finished!

It's a bit rushed though, especially in the later level design, sorry.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=45321

This game is fun! Would work great on a handheld. And yeah, got a little too hard for me in the end even though I tried like a hundred times Smiley

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »

Here is my game. It has aliens and everything is orange.

Rediscovering Earth

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=112971

If you get an error while loading, try refreshing the page. Apparently it's a common rpgmaker MV issue, and I can't do much about it =.= I'm pretty depressed, I know it's not a good first impact.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:01:57 PM by Bricabrac » Logged

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2016, 09:07:28 AM »

Finished my game!

Revival of a Dead Planet
http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=12895

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2016, 11:07:19 AM »

Here is my game. It has aliens and everything is orange.

Rediscovering Earth

https://bricabrac.itch.io/rediscovering-earth

If you get an error while loading, try refreshing the page. Apparently it's a common rpgmaker MV issue, and I can't do much about it =.= I'm pretty depressed, I know it's not a good first impact.

The bug looked a lot like a resource loading issue. Perhaps you could hide it behind a preloader?

I had a lot of chuckles playing through with this. Reminds me of the seagull in "The Little Mermaid".

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »

I interpreted the theme as "ancient" computer technology and made an endless shooter in Atari style:

You can play it here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=88589

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »

I'm trying to play everything you comrades post :3

I like it! The level design is really trial&error, but the respawn is so quick it didn't bother me. I think animating the character (making its knee bend slightly while jumping, for example) and maybe add a jumping sound would make it feel even more dynamic.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=110378
The game plays way better with gamepad, but is playable with keyboard as well.
So pretty! I really like the art style and the music. The gameplay itself, though, is a bit frustrating >< the character's jumping is so wobbly.

I pressed E in fron of the switch but nothing happened D: am I doing something wrong?

The bug looked a lot like a resource loading issue. Perhaps you could hide it behind a preloader?

I had a lot of chuckles playing through with this. Reminds me of the seagull in "The Little Mermaid".
Thanks! Yeah, it's a loading issue. I made a little research, it's a common issue with rpgmaker MV - basically the program tries to run elements it hasn't completely loaded yet, because it's stupid like that.
I haven thought about the seagull Grin I was actually inspired by the way items are named in the Pikmin saga!

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2016, 01:46:40 PM »

I pressed E in fron of the switch but nothing happened D: am I doing something wrong?

There was a bug in the build.  It should be fixed now if you re-download it.  Gentleman

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2016, 02:17:03 PM »

So pretty! I really like the art style and the music. The gameplay itself, though, is a bit frustrating >< the character's jumping is so wobbly.

Thanks! Yeah the controls are not very good, they are ok with gamepad. I want to remake this with a solid character script, this one is kind of a hack of unity's built in physics. I'd rather build my own that feels nice rather than being based on some kind of simulation. Also I just kind of made the level and realized that all the platforms were probably too small when it was too late. Lesson learned!

Tselmek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2016, 06:04:22 PM »

Our entry is finally out, it's nothing too fancy since we weren't deeply inspired by the theme by I think it's pretty fine, if I can say so myself. It's called Apalis and it's a little die-and-retry puzzle platformer. Here's a link to it here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=48996 and a bonus screenshot.

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2016, 06:20:22 PM »

Ouch... missed the deadline. I'm not too sure how I feel about that.
On one hand well the fact that I was working till the last second kinda shows I wasn't quite satisfied with what I had.
On the other well, its 3 days worth of effort in garbage.

best part is how I screwed up... I didn't know I needed to upload externally. Came face to face with that fact with 5 min to go. thought of dropbox... didnt remember my password. (im usually always logged in, but my PC died)
Actually even login in ludumdare robbed me of time... didn't remember that password either :/
and well that was that.

Oh well I screwed up!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:39 PM »

Nooooo! Cry

You should've uploaded with a dead link in the meantime. Entries can be edited after the fact, and I definitely wouldn't count it as cheating to upload after submission hour so long as you don't work more on the game.

I managed to submit with one link more or less literally last minute, but I'm exporting the game for more systems and uploading those and adding the links as I write now. :/

Another increasingly common option would be to upload the game to itch.io. Which I think you should do anyway. And post it here. Definitely don't throw your entry away just because you failed to submit it to the LD site on time! Sad

At least it was the very unusual LD without ratings you managed to fail to submit an entry to. You'd only be getting comments this time, and you can get comments anywhere. So any other LD, it would have been much worse TBH.

(will be posting my entry shortly as soon as I've posted to the LD blog and so on)

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 29, 2016, 07:11:19 PM »

All right. Done with all of the exporting and blog post and tweeting and whatnot. Last post will be here, then BED!

By Ava, Marte and Morten~

Go play here!

LD blog postTweet

This time we ended up making some sort of Mario Kart hockey (Mario Strikers?) with JRPG-style characters playing alongside ancient Atlantean robots a game of hockey filled with explosions, distorted time and earthquakes, all thanks to a magnificent piece of technology henceforth referred to as a "puck", excavated in broad daylight alongside the long lost robozens of Atlantis..!

... Yeah, I admit we were rather bad at going along with the theme this time. Embarrassed

But hopefully fun proof of concept! It's not quite what we originally had in mind (were intending to do more with slow motion and whatnot), but at least it ended up as a thing that feels at least somewhat tied together. Last minute as usual! Coffee

Requires two players and at least one gamepad (two recommended for better experience), so grab someone!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:53:23 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2016, 01:54:06 AM »

Ouch... missed the deadline. I'm not too sure how I feel about that.
On one hand well the fact that I was working till the last second kinda shows I wasn't quite satisfied with what I had.
On the other well, its 3 days worth of effort in garbage.

best part is how I screwed up... I didn't know I needed to upload externally. Came face to face with that fact with 5 min to go. thought of dropbox... didnt remember my password. (im usually always logged in, but my PC died)
Actually even login in ludumdare robbed me of time... didn't remember that password either :/
and well that was that.

Oh well I screwed up!

Might not be too late, Mike just posted this.

Hi. I’m still away, but I’ve been getting a number of people contacting me that weren’t able to submit, or had issues submitting, so I’m going to send them here. Please leave a comment here if you had issues submitting.

If it’s an account/activation issue, I’ll take care of those. You can contact me directly.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/2016/08/30/problems-post-here/

As long as you haven't worked a bunch more on it I think the rules can be bent a little, especially since there are no ratings this time around. Either way, don't forget that your product is your real prize anyway so don't feel like it was time wasted.

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2016, 05:06:41 AM »

All right. Done with all of the exporting and blog post and tweeting and whatnot. Last post will be here, then BED!

So cool!!! Good job. I tried it alone so I couldn't really play so well but it felt very nice!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2016, 05:22:46 AM »

So cool!!! Good job. I tried it alone so I couldn't really play so well but it felt very nice!
Yay! I actually uploaded a bit of a fix* right now, the scope of which I hope the rules allow, so do update your download before you find someone to play with. Haven't added anything to the game, but I didn't have anyone else to play with the last few hours so a few things* showed up immediately the next morning when I could play with Marte again. x_x

* like very unbalanced audio levels and some straight up bugs like cursors not appearing at the correct time and powerup display being wonky and characters getting stuck inside the puck which made the game kind of broken and confusing

PetterBergmar
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2016, 05:34:45 AM »

@Tselmek Super fun game! I have to go so I didn't get further than this. I died so many times on this one, almost made it to the last platform a bunch of times. Still fun though and I would keep playing if I didn't have to go. Thanks for the gamepad support. Love those gamepads.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic