Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:01:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 36 (August 26-29) [with a gotcha] [THEME: ancient technology]  (Read 18275 times)
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2016, 05:45:25 AM »

Requires two players and at least one gamepad (two recommended for better experience), so grab someone!

Shoot, oh well I've played everyone else's entry so far though I think.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2016, 05:56:14 AM »

Requires two players and at least one gamepad (two recommended for better experience), so grab someone!

Shoot, oh well I've played everyone else's entry so far though I think.
No worries! We knew perfectly well making a game like this that fewer people would be able to play since LD is a solo thing for so many. But we wanted to try something new, and we've never submitted a multiplayer game before.

Will upload a GIF or two showing some gameplay later, at least, but I can't record them right now because Marte fell asleep again so I have nobody to play with ATM... Tongue

Also no stress either way. LD ratings (even if we don't really get ratings this time) usually go on for weeks. I probably won't play anything until the weekend since I have a day job again now, which is sucking all the energy out of me, and then I'll probably spread my playing out across several weekends. But will play your entries eventually and give you some feedback! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2016, 09:50:43 AM »

Built a game with some folks down in Cambridge called CELUSTA about guiding a ship through icy waters using a pair of drums.

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2016, 11:29:26 AM »

Great to see everyone's projects and I hope to see more on here.

My game is Pyramid Builder. Used Stone Story's rendering and input systems as a base. Made this in roughly 60 hours. chriswearly made the fonts and bibiki did the audio.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=112849

Guide workers through Farming, Unloading cargo and Pushing gigantic stones to build a mighty Pyramid, in pure Ascii delight!

Pyramid Builder is a God simulation game where you grow a civilization, strengthen your delivery fleet and bask in the awesomeness of an ancient art style refreshed to new heights!

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2016, 11:51:23 AM »

Great to see everyone's projects and I hope to see more on here.

My game is Pyramid Builder. Used Stone Story's rendering and input systems as a base. Made this in roughly 60 hours. chriswearly made the fonts and bibiki did the audio.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=112849

What? I mean how... whaaaaat? You crazy. That looks amazing. Will try it tomorrow, when im on a computer.

Twitter: @pbergmar
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2016, 10:56:24 PM »

Woah. That is impressive. Makes it slightly comforting that you built it on an existing engine and didn't write both the renderer and the game during LD, at least. Tongue

I fixed that GIF, and a video as well now BTW:

(or gifv if that suits you better)

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2016, 01:41:01 AM »

I built a pyramid! I kind of sucked so it took 32 days. But next time. Next time!!! Extremely well done for such short time

Twitter: @pbergmar
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2016, 01:45:13 AM »

Hey, that's my screencast! Cheesy Sorry about the crappy sound, I just realised I didn't turn off the micriphone (which amplifies the PC-speaker effect)

My friend Thomas, who AFAIK is not really active on TIGsource, made this, and I think it's so cool that I want to share it:

The Painting Machine is one of Leonardo da Vinci’s lesser known inventions. In fact, before this game was released, nobody had ever heard about it.

This ancient machine is programmed using up to three punch cards, and the aim of the game is to reproduce some of Da Vinci’s most famous abstract pointillist paintings. It starts out easy, but the difficulty ramps up quickly, and the later puzzles can easily take an hour or more to solve.

The basic instruction set features movement and painting commands. Each punch card paints in a different colour. For control flow, you have jumps, conditionals and two numeric registers that can be incremented and decremented. Is it Turing-complete? No idea!

The game is playable in the browser, so what are you waiting for?

If you agree, try it out (it's HTML5, so no installation hassles!) and leave some love for his entry here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=7882
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:48:25 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2016, 01:56:50 AM »

Golly! Shocked

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2016, 03:50:59 AM »

IKR, he's one of those ultra-intelligent friends who studied both CompSci and Mathematics, got a good job at Google only to quit it and follow his dream as an indy game developer. Love the guy Smiley

PS: Pucketeers looks sweet. Will scroll back through the topic later today to check out the other submissions here
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2016, 05:48:39 AM »

Watched the Pyramid video. Really is impressive. Both game and rendering. You managed to put a lot of stuff in there and it seems really polished. Not my kind of gameplay, but most definitely worthy of my praise nonetheless! Gomez

PS: Pucketeers looks sweet.
Yay!

Like I said, I'll be busy with day job until the weekend, and generally weary from the whole LD ordeal as usual, but I will get to your entries in due time!

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2016, 07:45:53 AM »

Thanks! In the original idea ghosts come at night and try to steal the hearts out of the houses, and you have to defend with well-positioned pussycats. Had to scope it down for the deadline!

IKR, he's one of those ultra-intelligent friends who studied both CompSci and Mathematics, got a good job at Google only to quit it and follow his dream as an indy game developer. Love the guy Smiley

PS: Pucketeers looks sweet. Will scroll back through the topic later today to check out the other submissions here

You guys from bay area? Or some other Google location?

Like I said, I'll be busy with day job until the weekend, and generally weary from the whole LD ordeal as usual, but I will get to your entries in due time!

Same here. Little time to game till weekend.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2016, 10:21:31 AM »

> You guys from bay area? Or some other Google location?

Groningen, The Netherlands Tongue

He worked for Google London though, somewhere on the back-end to keep things running if a server failed or something like that. He's now moved to Munich, whereas I'm in Stockholm. EU citizenship is pretty sweet like that Smiley
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:33:31 AM by JobLeonard » Logged
skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2016, 12:31:22 AM »

So it was a bit rushed for me, I planed not to participate the LD this time as I would only to able to start 24h late, but I figured that compo was not that important and made the Jam instead, in only 48 hours.

The result is a prehistoric velociraptor baseball game. You are a caveman with a big a club, but you can't face directly raptors, they are too fast and too strong! Clubbing rock at their heads is the only way to defeat them.

Level design was as usual done too fast, I intend to make a post jam version with a little bit more polish and revised levels, and call it my second fully finished game.

Those were hard times for the human race.

Try the thing HERE!

Now, let's try all the tig's games!  Hand Joystick

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2016, 06:51:21 AM »

Got my entry submitted. Although it's barely a game as I wasted the first day trying to figure out how to just code the movement with the animations. Same problem I always have were I start everything from scratch and this time it just went worse then the others. So don't expect any real gameplay or sound.

Have continued updating it though cause I really want to make this a complete segment. Have always wanted to make an adventure game so this was my attempt at it. Great learning experience and visually I'm happy with what I did.

Will get around to playing everyones games this weekend. Looking forward to it cause looks like youve all made very different games.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »

I really like the wobbly-line animation. Is that rotoscoped or some kind of vector graphics+jitter trick?
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2016, 03:38:52 PM »

Thanks JobLeonard and yeah it's using rotoscoping. Been using the technique for years so I've got plenty of practice with it and is usually my go to style for these things.

Now just working on trying to figure out the coding for the different directional animations. Never been a great coder but sometimes I get lucky.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2016, 01:16:03 AM »

The game lets me pet the donkey, that's an insta-win for me

(The characters doesn't move if you click on an object to its right, btw)
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2016, 01:45:58 AM »

It was very tight but I managed to finish something playable and winnable yesterday. I like the overall vibe but I want to replace the movement code altogether.. The music was fun, I made something I didn't really like, but then I put tons of reverb and dist on top of the master track in Ableton and it turned out pretty nice.. Love when a shortcut works.

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=110378
The game plays way better with gamepad, but is playable with keyboard as well.
295 seconds! This was fun, but yeah, the movement feels way too much like I'm on ice without skates.

Here is my game. It has aliens and everything is orange.

Rediscovering Earth

http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=112971

If you get an error while loading, try refreshing the page. Apparently it's a common rpgmaker MV issue, and I can't do much about it =.= I'm pretty depressed, I know it's not a good first impact.

Those were five entertaining minutes well-wasted Smiley. The writing is on-point, and I like the fast-prototyping approach of just using hand-drawn sketches actually.

I interpreted the theme as "ancient" computer technology and made an endless shooter in Atari style:

You can play it here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-36/?action=preview&uid=88589
Nice! I'm red-green colourblind, so  Coffee for including shapes as well!

I think I got all games I can play solo on my Linux machine (sorry Windows peeps, your entries look nice though!), did I accidentally read over any posts?
standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2016, 10:27:14 PM »

Excellent design. Really enjoyed the narrative and the puzzles, except for the spear. I kept trying to attach the stone to the end of the spear, but that doesn't work, I have to attach it to the middle, which doesn't make sense.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic