Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:27:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327930 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18700 on: August 17, 2014, 12:59:36 AM »

iji needs a commercial remake so it can get the recognition it deserves
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #18701 on: August 17, 2014, 04:47:50 AM »

iji needs a commercial remake so it can get the recognition it deserves

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18702 on: August 17, 2014, 05:23:06 AM »

Why was iji supposed to be good? I played it for a few mins, but the graphics were bad, the gameplay felt really clunky, and the story seemed pretty generic (Kill the Aliens woot). Not a good first impression. Because I had a couple of other games i was excited about, i just ditched it and went on to those games. If it was supposed to be really good, however, I guess i might retry it.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18703 on: August 17, 2014, 05:47:24 AM »

I think the key thing to keep in mind when discussing Iji is that it's a great Gamemaker game. It's rare to find a Gamemaker game that at least plays well and has actual depth.

I also think with Iji it's enjoyable because it did a lot of interesting things with the game (System Shock style levelling, pacifist mode, the weapons, the enemy design, the underlying themes of the story, etc).

That said I believe Hero Core is a better game in almost every way.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18704 on: August 17, 2014, 06:11:46 AM »

Weren't spelunky and hotline miami made with game maker?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18705 on: August 17, 2014, 06:14:37 AM »

yeah but waaay after iji existed. this is the half life syndrome all over again. it might be fairer to compare it with lllegal communication and im ok, and even then those were done after iji as well.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #18706 on: August 17, 2014, 06:38:46 AM »

Iji still good once you get it:

- The story is genuine, the theme is overdone but the author treat it well by considering characters, their evolution, the psychological impacts of events, the differing personalities, culture and culture clashes with individual, belief, duty, etc ... it just has a rich texture to it rather than being breakthrough. It also has a sense of scale that bigger budget don't seems to get only through writing, the slow discoveries is what make it great.

- The gameplay feel cluncky at first, but it's a matter of accommodation, it is really good once you don't try expect it to be something it isn't, the limitation are very rewarding and the game is well built around them, I play it a bit like a corridor shooter rather than a twitch games. I felt that the limitation on movement really felt feeling the fist pumping moment when you pull out some movement, it's never "unfair". Also upgrade build allow for very different run and enhance replayability.

- I like the graphics they are smarter than they look first imho, I like the style and color choice and the naivety of the cutscene just add to the theme of the story.

In fact that was the second game to blew me away after I learn about indie game with noitu love 2, it holds up well for me even now.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18707 on: August 17, 2014, 07:58:02 AM »

iji is good because its basically system shock the platformer
Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18708 on: August 17, 2014, 09:10:36 AM »

The story. You should focus on the story. The game is little generic(shooty shooty), some mechanic doesn't really work well, like hacking. I mean, who would go and hack a giant freaking robot when every encounter with it is basically they shoot first. Also no jumpin and shootin, and stealth(which obsolete hacking enemy). I can go around and spell out all the bad this game has, but all of it is really just nitpicking, not actual BAD thing that ruin the game. Putting nitpicking aside and play the game as itself(without the like x but with y), this game is pretty darn great. On the same level and depth of cave story.(or bioshock 1)

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18709 on: August 17, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »

Hacking is phenomenal thank you  Undecided

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #18710 on: August 17, 2014, 09:40:07 AM »

btw if theres ever a sequel it should be called skraji
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18711 on: August 17, 2014, 10:58:17 AM »

why? It's been a while I haven't play

Leon Fook
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18712 on: August 17, 2014, 11:26:44 PM »

Hacking is phenomenal thank you  Undecided
I love the hacking, but maybe i should have made it clear what i meant. Maybe i should say sneaking doesn't work, and that affect the hacking, as most of the time they saw me before i can even sneak up to them, especially when you're up againts the giant Komato robot.

It feels good when i successfully hack that giant robot, but they swarm be before i can react.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #18713 on: August 17, 2014, 11:53:42 PM »

I never really tried cracking enemies much, but I think the Crack stat is worth taking anyway. It gets you some very neat weapon mods and it helps you open doors. Many of the supercharges require a cracked weapon to be collected, and I always try to get the supercharges if I'm not speedrunning it.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18714 on: August 18, 2014, 04:00:20 AM »

yeah but waaay after iji existed. this is the half life syndrome all over again. it might be fairer to compare it with lllegal communication and im ok, and even then those were done after iji as well.

Yeah this is the point I was getting at when I said "It's good for a Gamemaker game". When I played Iji the only other decent games were, what... Seiklus and Jumper? Those were the only other Gamemaker games I remember being good at the time. Also typically Gamemaker games were very unambitious and short, but Iji completely bucked that trend by being a fully fledged, very replayable, AAA length game. Also I don't really enjoy Iji that much as I find it a bit boring to play today. However I respect it for what it's achieved.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18715 on: August 18, 2014, 04:11:32 AM »

I was wondering what would nintendo do in the future, notably next gen after wii U. Obviously they have been talking going ios like platform with account system, I heard they research streaming, but most notably you can always see in the present and past experimentation the direction they are thinking of going. The non wearable slide they put were hard to parse at first, but when you understand it mean "ambient" computing, it start to make sense: AR, amibo, street pass, wii fit, etc... are the kind of things that fit the non wearable, aka a greater interaction with the real world, continuing the merging of reality with the virtual in the virtual to reality sense (invading the real) instead of the usual reality to virtual like the holodeck dream. Now if you think of it, another way to think about is that it is functionally "toys" aka physical fiction instead of virtual fiction, so interaction with reality (AR) + toys (Amibo) + videogames ... Robots? could it be that nitendo invade the entertainment space with hybrid robot/console concept in the future? That's the only distinctive opportunities to be seize by nintendo.

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18716 on: August 18, 2014, 04:48:17 AM »

R.O.B. 2.0

Fucking confirmed.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18717 on: August 18, 2014, 06:24:56 AM »

btw if theres ever a sequel it should be called skraji
audibly laughed

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #18718 on: August 18, 2014, 07:26:30 AM »

I don't enjoy playing Iji that much these days because I have beat the whole thing 10 times now and there is absolutely nothing left for me to do. Tongue

Still, it is what I would consider the best freeware indie platformer of all time, dethroning Cave Story which previously held that title. Which, in turn, dethroned the old classic Eternal Daughter that I considered to be the best thing ever back in the golden age of K&P / Games Factory game making.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18719 on: August 18, 2014, 08:03:44 AM »

Oh man you just reminded me about Klik & Play, those pie devil memories are coming flooding back. I think I'm going to download it and try to make something in it, just to see how cumbersome and limiting it is. Maybe we should have a K&P game jam.
Pages: 1 ... 934 935 [936] 937 938 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic