Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:25:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327913 times)
JWK5
« Reply #20640 on: April 17, 2015, 03:52:01 PM »

The PS3 allows you to hide achievement notifications. There's no reason it couldn't be implemented on any system.

That said, achievements are already optional by definition. It's a fantastic compromise that allows developers to add gimmicky challenges to a game for advanced players that are completely divorced from the main game if you don't want to do them.
It'd be nice if instead of "Accomplish every pointless task in the game!", "Collect hundreds of items X, Y, and Z", "Here's a cookie for doing something minor or mandatory", or "Beat the game on every difficulty that adds nothing new" you actually got achievements for achieving something interesting and legitimately challenging (rather than just tedious or borderline unfeasible).
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20641 on: April 17, 2015, 04:03:47 PM »

achievement serve three function to dev:
- checking the behind the box feature check marks and content filler
- monitoring activity of player by aggregating report of who did what (ie achievement for game milestone such as ending, beginning or finishing a level)
- the best and the last is "holy shit a player did it actually, they are crazy!", ie do you believe someone will do it.

100% accurate reproduction of AAA dev meeting

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20642 on: April 17, 2015, 04:22:24 PM »

I write technical papers for a living, and spend a lot of time trimming things down to fit under page count limits. So yeah, I tend to write that way all the time.

I'm open to suggestions if there's something I can switch up if it's bothering you.

It'd be nice if instead of "Accomplish every pointless task in the game!", "Collect hundreds of items X, Y, and Z", "Here's a cookie for doing something minor or mandatory", or "Beat the game on every difficulty that adds nothing new" you actually got achievements for achieving something interesting and legitimately challenging (rather than just tedious or borderline unfeasible).

I agree with this for the most part. I wish more games had achievements for interesting and unusual challenges like the gnome achievement in Halflife. But... other kinds of achievements have their place too.

Achievements for mandatory tasks are nice because they serve as an indicator of progress to friends. I like checking steam, for example, and knowing roughly how far into a game my friends are. I just noticed today, for example, that a friend starting playing Jazzpunk and beat the first level. Now I can mention it next time we chat.

I hate "do x y times" quests, and will usually skip them. They can be okay if the number is really low, in which case it's a good way to goad a player into using mechanics that are useful but completely optional. Bayonetta 2 has an achievement for freezing a bunch of different monsters, for example, that I'm pretty sure is only there because the devs took the time to give every enemy in the game a frozen animation. I wouldn't have known that if there wasn't a task asking me to do it. Uncharted 2 has an achievement for just trying multiplayer, which is a great way to get people to at least try it.

Ni No Kuni even went one step further and gave you a third optional level of completion. You don't have to collect any familiars to complete the game, but there's an achievement for getting around 80% completion. Then if you're super cereal about it, you can collect more until the menu tells you 100%, but there's no reward for it. You can pick how OCD you want to be about completionism.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20643 on: April 17, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »

im not bothered by achievements but i ignore them for the most part.
JWK5
« Reply #20644 on: April 17, 2015, 05:45:55 PM »

im not bothered by achievements but i ignore them for the most part.
I'm not bothered by achievements at all, I just wish they were used to their full potential rather than so haphazardly.
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #20645 on: April 18, 2015, 03:53:21 AM »

Yea the milestone achievements (beat this level/boss/get this ending) are really underrated as a way of tracking progress. I really like having a rough idea of how far someone is in a game when I start chatting to them. It means I can start talking about things relevant to their situation and avoid spoiling future content, without having to ask.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20646 on: April 18, 2015, 03:55:58 AM »

the social aspect i don't care about in the least so i guess i hadn't even considered that

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20647 on: April 18, 2015, 06:10:28 AM »

Hey TIGers, long time no see!

I'm back after a long while, I moved out of the country (Venezuela, quickly becoming one of the worst countries to live, worsening each day) and I've been doing paperwork and getting things up and running in my new home, Panam?.

I've been working on a game project too, Operation Hardcore (I made a thread here btw, to introduce the project: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=47447.0) which we're developing using Unity. We are aiming for a late 2015/early 2016 release for PC (Steam) and Wii U.

It's good to be back. Gotta get up to date Smiley

Peace.

god thing you did that. i would have suggested to come to mexico, but i dont think your situation would have improved that much

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20648 on: April 18, 2015, 06:14:34 AM »

i think blizz does the interesting thing with most of their achievements, with the harder ones being a form of not so self imposed challenge that promotes replays and shit.

its nice to see trends on player progress through achievements. for dveelopers it is an additional form of feedback, where they track where the majority of their players get stuck/got bored and shit

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20649 on: April 18, 2015, 06:15:51 AM »

A little request for anybody who devs Steam games: Can you not make the icon for a locked achievement be the same as an unlocked one, except slightly darker? Due to colorblindness I cannot tell the difference between the unlocked and locked achievements here for example: http://i.imgur.com/OeZdACQ.jpg

im not color blind and i have trouble telling them apart

MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #20650 on: April 18, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »

A little request for anybody who devs Steam games:

STOP IT WITH THE OPEN ACCESS MINECRAFT DEFENSE ROGULIKEVANIAS.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20651 on: April 18, 2015, 10:06:27 AM »

sauce inspired games
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20652 on: April 18, 2015, 10:52:46 AM »

minecraft revive 3 genre:
- survival game
- craft game
- block game
- rogue like/lite
- procedural generation game
+ any mix of these genre and guess what base I counted in

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20653 on: April 18, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »

i was reading some parenting blog by a mother who doesnt "get" why her two sons love minecraft so much and it dawned on me that minecraft is basically heaven for small kids. i havent touched minecraft in like 2 years but if i was 8 right now i probably wouldnt be playing anything else.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20654 on: April 18, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »

it's like why they play gta, chaos, freedom, creativity, simplicity, expression

If someone figure out how to properly mix the two (+ disney infinity) that person will be a winner

Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20655 on: April 18, 2015, 04:51:40 PM »

minecraft revive 3 genre:
- survival game
- craft game
- block game
- rogue like/lite
- procedural generation game
+ any mix of these genre and guess what base I counted in

- Dark Souls inspired
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20656 on: April 18, 2015, 06:35:52 PM »

I made this mini game for android (http://thegameswemake.itch.io/dancing-dot) and didn't get any downloads.. just 14 so far... I feel sad Sad

JWK5
« Reply #20657 on: April 18, 2015, 07:08:38 PM »

I got caught up in trying to make my LD entry pretty, had to remind myself I need to go fast and ugly because time is a factor here. I've attempted LD a number of times and I always hit the wall and burn out. I am determined this time (I say this every time, though).

The worst hurdle of all is the "this isn't good enough" demons in the back of my head sniping my enthusiasm and momentum (and consequently driving me to try and polish things before there is even a solid foundation in place).

Not sure why I am throwing this out there, I guess I just need to vent. Feeling the pressure, the guillotine is getting close. I have some serious respect for anyone who actually enters a LD game, it is a lot more grueling than it initially seems.
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20658 on: April 18, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »

There was this GIF I found a really long time ago that I just can't seem to find. It's very funny, it's the Final Boss fight of FF4 but instead of fighting Zeromus, their fighting Conan O'brien with an amusing idol animation and lasers. If anyone knows where I can find it since I've looked everywhere, I'd be grateful.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20659 on: April 18, 2015, 11:34:51 PM »

I got caught up in trying to make my LD entry pretty, had to remind myself I need to go fast and ugly because time is a factor here. I've attempted LD a number of times and I always hit the wall and burn out. I am determined this time (I say this every time, though).

The worst hurdle of all is the "this isn't good enough" demons in the back of my head sniping my enthusiasm and momentum (and consequently driving me to try and polish things before there is even a solid foundation in place).

Not sure why I am throwing this out there, I guess I just need to vent. Feeling the pressure, the guillotine is getting close. I have some serious respect for anyone who actually enters a LD game, it is a lot more grueling than it initially seems.
LD is about exploring ideas and concepts, not about making your next hit. If the idea is good enough, you can keep working on it after LD. A lot of people do that.

Pages: 1 ... 1031 1032 [1033] 1034 1035 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic