Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:37:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2327665 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21360 on: May 26, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »

I have personally felt the pressure that the surest bet to stay afloat in the gaming industry is to go mobile.
I actually want to give mobile a go and check out some small ideas, while I am working on some bigger life goal projects on the side.

But again, even had I not had this experience my other post still stands.
Yes, only it is as clear as saying "the sun is hot" at this point. It is an ill situation for sure.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21361 on: May 26, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »

@alevice
It's more about the tone, it break the tone, especially with the rest of the presentation, temple run and other runner have at least something more cartoony instead of the blockbuster set piece thrill ride presentation the game is showing thus far

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21362 on: May 26, 2015, 05:38:25 PM »

Yes but actions are more contextualize with a universe that match in some way, contra didn't had random collectible liek mario, it had random stuff that make sense in it's own tropes, I dunno, it was jarring to have coin (make sense as short term gameplay sense) in this video while everything else made more sense (wall running, epic set pieces) and don't move you out of the fantasy.

but i wasnt talking about mario or contra or anything actually good, i was talking about cheap cashins like e.g. the home alone NES game. thats basically what the tomb raider game is (except its actually playable lol). the "design process" was probably the same: clone a popular game, slap a popular IP onto it, done.

Yes but they were cinema IP without any gaming cred already, tomb raider is a spin off of a established game franchise, compare to the isometric adventure game which was jarring to me too but tonally consistent at least and make sense given the franchise.

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21363 on: May 26, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

Yes, only it is as clear as saying "the sun is hot" at this point. It is an ill situation for sure.

Which is why I'm frustrated that the head mod of an independent game forum, among hundreds of other indies and CEOs and "gaming culture" in general is pro-mobile games and everyone's telling me to accept how great mobile is. But I'm done.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21364 on: May 26, 2015, 06:08:12 PM »

everyone's telling me to accept how great mobile is. But I'm done.
It sounds discouraging but we will see. I am certainly not one of them, only to a healthy measure. Addictive short timers are good for what they are but it is just mindless to see them as a new gaming standard. There might be more mobile players, but there are also more pc/console players too. There are overall just a lot more players, afaik.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #21365 on: May 26, 2015, 07:13:22 PM »

Mobile games have burned me personally. A game will almost automatically seem less fun to me if it is released on the app store. And I hold Apple single handedly responsible for having no fucking standards regarding their store, for the simple bragging right of "hey, we have exponentially more stuff than the competition!". I hate them.

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21366 on: May 27, 2015, 12:55:38 AM »

can i say that temple run is a legitimately fun game for what it is (a mobile timewaster) and that i don't hate mobile gaming?
It's interesting that you say that because I don't think that Temple Run is fun. It's addictive, but I don't find myself thoroughly enjoying the experience. I usually enjoy puzzle games more on mobile. Puzzles don't need to sacrifice gameplay because of controls.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #21367 on: May 27, 2015, 02:05:32 AM »

An older female employee who works in my office is a dedicated casual gamer and really loves Temple Run. She would totally enjoy playing this, I think.

Besides, Tomb Raider games have employed enough QTE action sequences that this could be considered a natural extension of the series.

isn't this part in bold an oxymoron?
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21368 on: May 27, 2015, 03:02:28 AM »

Casual games are a particular genre of game with simple rules that don't require dedication. This is a person who plays these kinds of games frequently and identifies this is a preferred activity, but specifically chooses not to play more complex games.
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21369 on: May 27, 2015, 04:41:10 AM »

I wonder if soccer gonna go alongside with smoking, ie remaining massive only in third-world countries.
I wonder if after FIFA crackdown theres gonna be some investigative journalism on team managment and rampant roid abuse.
It goes alongside smoking, alcohol and guns as one of those things that was directly responsible for people deaths, but its ok cos your dad into it. If only EA or Activision had some seats in goverment...
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21370 on: May 27, 2015, 05:09:47 AM »

To be frank a lot of so call "complex game" have just convoluted convention and obscure culture from the outside, Casual game have reach that level of complexity in practice long ago, and the fast in fast out quality is something some "complex" game share too. If anything casual game have develop some new convention that would make it better for complex game to take inspiration from (that isn't 3 stars and other bullshit like that).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21371 on: May 27, 2015, 05:15:16 AM »

Which is why I'm frustrated that the head mod of an independent game forum, among hundreds of other indies and CEOs and "gaming culture" in general is pro-mobile games and everyone's telling me to accept how great mobile is. But I'm done.

jeez, i'm sorry i actually enjoy playing games on my phone sometimes  Roll Eyes

also lol "gaming culture"' is definitely not pro mobile haha.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:21:34 AM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pfotegeist
« Reply #21372 on: May 27, 2015, 05:19:19 AM »

Casual games are a particular genre of game with simple rules that don't require dedication. This is a person who plays these kinds of games frequently and identifies this is a preferred activity, but specifically chooses not to play more complex games.

you could as easily have called them a die hard casual gamer, or hardcore.
JohansenIndustries
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21373 on: May 27, 2015, 05:34:01 AM »

I wonder if soccer gonna go alongside with smoking, ie remaining massive only in third-world countries.

AS a Brit, not a chance. Also, if you're going to talk about things that kill people planes,trains, and cars must be high up on that list than football.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21374 on: May 27, 2015, 05:46:21 AM »

you could as easily have called them a die hard casual gamer, or hardcore.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21375 on: May 27, 2015, 05:50:24 AM »

jeez, i'm sorry i actually enjoy playing games on my phone sometimes  Roll Eyes

also lol "gaming culture"' is definitely not pro mobile haha.

how dare you enjoying bejewled and temple run alongside dork soles and dorf fortress

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21376 on: May 27, 2015, 05:51:58 AM »

@alevice
It's more about the tone, it break the tone, especially with the rest of the presentation, temple run and other runner have at least something more cartoony instead of the blockbuster set piece thrill ride presentation the game is showing thus far
i can see your point. even if the temple of light she collected relics and shit. they should have changed coins with ming vases and shit.

SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21377 on: May 27, 2015, 06:05:47 AM »

I wonder if after FIFA crackdown theres gonna be some investigative journalism on team managment and rampant roid abuse.
It goes alongside smoking, alcohol and guns as one of those things that was directly responsible for people deaths, but its ok cos your dad into it. If only EA or Activision had some seats in goverment...

I don't get it. Soccer seems to be going really strong on Europe so how could this happen?
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #21378 on: May 27, 2015, 07:15:53 AM »

https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/status/603559485907558400

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21379 on: May 27, 2015, 07:18:22 AM »

Top 1 reason why atheist should read the bible: it's a very good epic on the scope of Tolkien's finest

Pages: 1 ... 1067 1068 [1069] 1070 1071 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic