Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 08:01:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat is a good number of achievements / trophies?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What is a good number of achievements / trophies?  (Read 1208 times)
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« on: August 21, 2016, 06:07:42 AM »

Surely this is context dependant, but curious for thoughts on the subject. Some games seem to have a fairly minimal approach with achievements used to demarcate major plot points or obvious progression in the game, whereas others use much more of them to act as an additional layer of gameplay or to encourage further exploration of the world, etc.

Do you care? Which do you like? Whats the game has the best achievements in your opinion?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 06:15:50 AM »

for rain world between 10-20 probably.

depends on the game. something like GTA or Fallout easily can get upwards of 100, same for a super secret-heavy and skill-based game like binding of isaac. for something more intimately scaled achievements can be nice in a more interesting and sparing way.

stanley parable used achievements well. so did FEZ.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »

Zero as far as im concerned
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:07:54 AM »

yeah please have a way to opt out of popups at least

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:27:54 AM »

yeah please have a way to opt out of popups at least

thats usually not up to the dev
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 10:49:39 AM »

ya i kno

are they still forced on with no way to turn them off in steam?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »

i have no idea tbh, ive learned to just ignore them

(oh also it goes without saying that our opinions are not the consensus. if you leave out achievements youre probably going to get a lot of hate for that)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 11:11:44 AM »

AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 11:16:15 AM »

I personally like achievements. They're like a bonus meta gameplay element. If you really enjoy a particular game, chasing all the achievements can be extra rewarding. It also adds a light competitive multiplayer aspect to it, as people can compare their achievements with their friends'.

Of course, a lot of games do it terribly. Things like tutorial/progression achievements are cheap and empty experiences. But an achievement such as  "Find the hidden treasure on island X" can promote exploration in a fun and interesting way.

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 11:22:55 AM »

nice

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2016, 11:33:05 AM »

I try to disable achievement prompts whenever possible and I don't care about unlocking them. I guess I prefer games where simple progression doesn't unlock achievements because it reduces the likelihood of seeing them when I can't disable the prompts, but I'm not part of the audience for achievements and watching an achievement getting unlocked isn't that bad to me, just distracting/annoying.

are they still forced on with no way to turn them off in steam?
ya Sad

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2016, 11:34:24 AM »

(oh also it goes without saying that our opinions are not the consensus. if you leave out achievements youre probably going to get a lot of hate for that)

oh yeah def. as im more of the "doesnt bother with achievements" type person, im casting a wide net for answers and seeing what comes up. Ive learned a lot tbh!

twitter poll has been very interesting: https://twitter.com/BRIGHTPRIMATE/status/767370175624732672

readyplaygames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »

Achievements can be neat, but I hate those stupid popups. 20 is a bit on the high side.

Also, please don't make achievements for just playing the game. Yes, I beat level 1, it's not an achievement. Beating level 1 without getting hit once, however, is.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2016, 12:04:55 PM »

Fourtreen
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2016, 05:06:16 AM »

Also, please don't make achievements for just playing the game. Yes, I beat level 1, it's not an achievement. Beating level 1 without getting hit once, however, is.

this seems to be the general consensus! Suggestions have been to either use the achievements for challenges, humor or to showcase mechanics that might not be otherwise obvious.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 05:51:55 AM »

7 so that people can remember them all
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2016, 06:52:53 AM »

Some types of achievements I want to see in a game:
-Main progression achievements (obtained when reaching a major plot point/defeating a boss/etc)
-Completion of sidequests and optional objectives
-100% achievements (e.g. finding all the collectibles in a level, or all collectibles in the game)
-Challenge run achievements (e.g. win the game without using a potion or without equipping armor)
-Humor (throw a basketball into a hoop, defeat a monster using only bananas, other wacky stuff)

Achievements I prefer not to have:
-Multiplayer achievements in a primarily singleplayer title. These require an active community so it can become difficult or impossible to complete if the MP community of a game has died.
-Grindy achievements like "kill 1000 rats" that don't offer anything interesting and just waste your time.

It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking that main progression achievements are pointless since "everyone gets them just by playing the game". But that's not really true. A lot of players quit a game before finishing it. So a main progression achievement tells you how far that player progressed in the game before quitting. This can provide valuable insight for a developer. You look at the main progression trophies and ask: at what point did the player become bored/frustrated and quit the game? If there's a big decrease in completion rate between two progression achievements, this could be a sign that something in the game is too difficult or annoying to complete.

Main progression achievements also provide a starting point for discussion between players about the game. Let's say you have finished a game and you want to discuss a SPOILER with another player. If you look at their main progression achievements, you can see if they have reached the plot point where the SPOILER happens. Then you know if it's safe to talk about this topic or if you should wait a bit longer before bringing it up.

Also: This is a Steam-specific tip but PLEASE do not use icon color to distinguish locked and unlocked achievements. This is really obnoxious for colorblind players because they cannot use the compare achievements view to see what they have left to complete.

Instead use a different graphic like a padlock or an unopened chest to indicate that an achievement is unobtained.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:10:10 AM by Nillo » Logged

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 06:59:43 AM »

this seems to be the general consensus! Suggestions have been to either use the achievements for challenges, humor or to showcase mechanics that might not be otherwise obvious.

some people use progression achievements to track their progress in a game and show off to their steam/psn/xbox live/whatever friends, just something to consider.
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 07:40:22 AM »

Some types of achievements I want to see in a game:
-Main progression achievements (obtained when reaching a major plot point/defeating a boss/etc)
-Completion of sidequests and optional objectives
-100% achievements (e.g. finding all the collectibles in a level, or all collectibles in the game)
-Challenge run achievements (e.g. win the game without using a potion or without equipping armor)
-Humor (throw a basketball into a hoop, defeat a monster using only bananas, other wacky stuff)

Lol, I was actually playing your Griddy RPG game the other day, and beat it all the way through (great game :D)! I didn't expect to be so entertained by what seemed like such a simple game, yet I grinded all the way up to the final boss and beat it.

After beating it though, I noticed that there were achievements. Some were crazy and there's no way I was going to attempt them (like beat the game without killing anything), but the one about finding the creepy cave convinced me to go back and keep playing until I found it.

If I didn't end up liking your game, I probably never would've paid any attention to the achievements at all. Since I did though, I continued playing beyond completion to chase after some achievements, and it increased my overall satisfaction/entertainment.

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 10:42:09 AM »

Lol, I was actually playing your Griddy RPG game the other day, and beat it all the way through (great game :D)! I didn't expect to be so entertained by what seemed like such a simple game, yet I grinded all the way up to the final boss and beat it.

After beating it though, I noticed that there were achievements. Some were crazy and there's no way I was going to attempt them (like beat the game without killing anything), but the one about finding the creepy cave convinced me to go back and keep playing until I found it.

If I didn't end up liking your game, I probably never would've paid any attention to the achievements at all. Since I did though, I continued playing beyond completion to chase after some achievements, and it increased my overall satisfaction/entertainment.
That's awesome to hear, thanks.~ To tell you the truth, I rarely receive any comments on this game, so it's a relief to know it hasn't been entirely forgotten at least.

I need to post new screenshots in the griddy thread. It seems like Imageshack killed all the images in my account for some reason. It's a shame, they used to be a decent host.

If you're curious, the enemies in that cave are cameos of characters from a webcomic that a friend of mine used to make, and the achievement is a reference to his nickname.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic