Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:20:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSuper Mario Galaxy Intro Video
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy Intro Video  (Read 10145 times)
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2007, 10:24:43 PM »

Looks pretty sweet.  I love the SMB3 flying ship music.

@doomlaser, mark johns
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 02:36:00 AM »

The game already looked fantastic but this video made it so much more.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 02:54:22 AM »

Looks fantastic! Kiss

Makes me feel better that I R MR GAY.

The Japanese website's up, too!
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 05:59:34 AM »

this game is made out of sex and win.

i was lucky enough to play it at its unveiling at E3 06 and seriously, its gonna be an absolute masterpiece. its gonna be one of those games we'll still play 10 years from now.

its IN-CRE-DI-BLE.

papamook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 07:04:51 AM »

that looks awesome  Kiss

edit: wow that urmrgay outing is insane, videogame history being made right there! Shocked
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 07:17:33 AM by papamook » Logged
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 07:22:13 AM »

Ah, it's good to see that Mario's still got it. Sure, they've made of lot of crappy spinoffs recently, but every once in a while we get a gem like this and I remember why Mario is still the big N's longest-running franchise ever.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 07:38:48 AM »

You know what I wouldn't mind seeing?  Super Mario RPG 2 on the Wii!

That was one spinoff I really enjoyed. Grin
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 08:04:24 AM »

Unlikely you'll see one, Derek. Square has seemingly devoted itself to its most profitable franchise.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 08:12:11 AM »

Bah, Paper Mario 2 is the best of all Mario RPGs!
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 08:21:15 AM »

Unlikely you'll see one, Derek. Square has seemingly devoted itself to its most profitable franchise.

Ah yes, I heard there was a new Tom Sawyer game in the works. Wink

Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 09:08:52 AM »

While we're waiting for Mario Galaxy... I also saw this tool-assisted speedrun of Mario 64 where the guy beats the game with 1 star in 6:47.

Pretty crazy.  I still remember how in awe I was the first time I played Mario 64. It was a blockbuster demo unit... oh memories.  Anyway it's still definitely my favorite 3D platformer.

And yes, Super Mario RPG was awesome!  But mostly all I  remember of it now is the room where you could turn into classic pixel-art mario Smiley

Edit: Bahaha =

« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:11:32 AM by Golds » Logged

@doomlaser, mark johns
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 01:24:31 PM »

I heard there was a secret where if you beat Mario 64 in under ten minutes on a tool-assisted speed run you realize you are wasting your life.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Stij
Level 3

the world's tallest dwarf

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 01:38:43 PM »

^this man speaks truth.

Mario and Luigi was pretty good too, but the sequel was a disappointment. Haven't tried much of PM1 so I can't say if it's good or not.
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »

Intro has a nice feel of a working society, and a military invasion... something which is usually only briefly adressed if at all in the older Mario games.

I can't say the game has much attraction on me though. For me Mario was always about smashing massive amounts of blocks, not running around on sterile flat lawns like an robot out of control. Third person 3D shouldercam is inherently flawed as a method to present gameplay relevant information to the player, especially coupled with the in this context dysfunctional analog joypad. Not only is it impossible to run from point A to B without bumping into things as you accelerate from 0 to RunSpeed instantly while your legs sprawl randomly in a hope to give a semblance of a running animation in sync with the ground... you also can not aim without the use of dumbed down "hold-this-button-to-aim" controls. Sure, there are other aspects of a game than controlling your avatar well... Mr Exploration is always welcome to come and show how to make an actual game for real men, because most of the time it's Ms Story who takes us for a boring train ride while she bombards us with inane banter.

That said, I hope S.M.Galaxy has some exploration fun. It almost seems like it might. The videos I watched just showed people not being able to control the character though.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:04:17 PM by Arne » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 09:26:38 PM »

Looks like somebody was a bit upset with Mario's jump to 3D.

Not trying to be insulting or anything, but why not tell us a game, or explain a method through which all those issues could be fixed, since you seem to be so well versed? Or is it impossible to have a good 3D gaming experience?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
ChevyRay
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 09:33:59 PM »

Super Mario RPG 2 on the Wii!
Weird man, that's EXACTLY what I said when a friend and I were talking about this very game here yesterday.

With the looks of Versus, I can't complain... but I want to.

...Cool

Mario and Luigi was pretty good too, but the sequel was a disappointment.
While it could have used a more satisfying story, I rather think it improved upon the first one by some. *shrugs*

Or is it impossible to have a good 3D gaming experience?
Way to poke the bear Tongue we trying to piss people off here? Wink

My best 3D platforming experience would definitely have to be the PoP series for PS2. Ahhhh...

I duly await the release of this gaaaammme!!! Until then... I need a Wii.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:35:32 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 09:36:12 PM »

Just want to hear what he would do in the developer's place.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 09:42:01 PM »

The more I see of Galaxy, the more in love I am.

And now The Airship!  OMGOSH.  Kiss

Intro has a nice feel of a working society, and a military invasion... something which is usually only briefly adressed if at all in the older Mario games.

Yeah, totally!  That struck me, too.  Very cool.  And the classic music!  Nintendo's really pullin' out the big guns, huh?  Tongue

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 10:06:32 PM »

Melly: Incase you didn't know, he does have design documents for a crapton of games, mostly remakes of old games, on his site. But as far as I know they're all 3D.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2007, 10:07:20 PM »

No, I'm usually just upset when the first sequel come out and breaks the spirit of the original, then I give up. I was doing other stuff when Mario 64 came out... painting Citadel miniatures I believe.

Thanks for the Ad Hominem attack. My person is irrelevant to the points of the argument. But since you asked, no, I do not think in booleans here. A 3D gaming experience (I never talked about 3D in general) is not 'impossible'.

The argument I presented was that 3rd person shouldercam 3D adventure platform games kinda stinks from an avatar control perspective, but games could have other aspects on top of that. I don't think much can be done about the flawed presentation and control concept other than trying to compensate in other areas. 3rd person 3D in a platformer may bring immersion and realism, but does it give as much as it takes in the gameplay area? I think it gives two oranges but takes away nine apples... and twelve bananas.

Edit: And I actually do have a Mario project.... three actually. Wrecking Crew, Mario Bros meets SMB and then a Mario Wars RTS thing... the latter actually 3D in the sense that 3D characters are used. I think 3D is excellent when you have a good resolution and need dynamic animations, multiple angles, rag-dolls etc.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:15:16 PM by Arne » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic