Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:43:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 37 [theme: ONE ROOM] (Dec 9-12)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 37 [theme: ONE ROOM] (Dec 9-12)  (Read 17041 times)
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 07:57:56 PM »

Finding the theme pretty awful, but oh well. Just finished finals so really glad to have a weekend I can jump back into gamedev with.
Want to get more cinematic with this one so started with the intro:

Sakar
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 10:51:11 PM »

The theme sucks so I'm using it as an excuse to prototype something that loosely fits the theme.
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 11:42:56 PM »

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 01:55:50 AM »

"One room"? I think I like this.  Gentleman

After some pondering different "escape the room" style puzzles I got a better idea. For now I'm calling it "Elevator boy simulator 1932", but we'll see where it ends up.

GLHF everyone!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 04:54:36 AM »

Woah, cool things cropping up already. Will be exciting to see what it is, and what it will be, in the end!

I agree that it's a bit too close to the previous recent theme entire game on one screen, but all we can do is to do the best of it, and I know our entry this time is quite different from the one we did for that theme! Smiley

Had some initial technical difficulties. Had problems getting on FTP yesterday and today git wouldn't work. Seemed to be some recently introduced network problem. But eventually a good old reboot of the computer did the trick! We have an idea, but nothing to show yet. We got up about 6.5 hours after the start and didn't really start the actual work besides initial idea and planning until about an hour or two ago.

GhostBomb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 06:32:28 AM »

I slept on the theme and still haven't come up with anything interesting.  I've found that this theme is incredibly restrictive, but not in a way that promotes creative ideas that we haven't already seen from Entire Game on One Screen.  If anything, it's forcing me to think of ideas that are blander than usual, rather than more creative.

Current Projects:

UnEarth

Azure
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 06:41:08 AM »

Some people have taken the approach of treating this Ludum Dare as more of a technical practice session. I think this can work out well, just focus on trying things and learning new concepts. Make a test room and make that your game or something?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »

I'm a bit slow (but Marte is churning out stuff in Blender, which she's never used before, so that's fun to see—none of it in the GIF yet tho!) but here's finally something to give you an idea of what we'll be making (ended up not using p5.js since I figured a single room will have more to explore in 3D and I don't have time to try and figure out the 3D functionality of p5):

Gomez

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »

I have a disputably working elevator going, with the notable bug that it will silently break if  you travel beyond the available floors.  Roll Eyes

(The image above is a link to the most recent snapshot)

The GUI code is "borrowed" from another project, just to get started faster. It's a horribly bad fit, but I want to spend more time on content before doing anything about it.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2016, 10:40:16 AM »

Is it like a semi text based elevator game or what? o: Not sure I understand the screenshot.

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2016, 12:03:55 PM »

Is it like a semi text based elevator game or what? o: Not sure I understand the screenshot.

Yes, excellently. Think VA-11 Hall-A, but with elevator destinations instead of drinks (and with a less talented/experienced author).

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »

Afraid I don't know that one, but maybe after I play your entry I'll be presenting that game as "think of that elevator game" instead? c;

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »

Im joining! Making a silly satire game.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »

Nice! Very sleek. Will you be drawing actual characters later? Not sure I understand the gameplay just yet, but I guess I'll find out! c:

I spent the end of the evening messing about with a cheap post effect shader to make it look a bit more interesting than default Unity shading. Might update the actual shaders on the objects later if there's time too. Marte talked about texturing a few objects, so maybe we'll do that to make it look a bit better too.

With this contrast, stuff like normal mapping is unnecessary and we can just bake stuff like bricks in the fireplace into a texture and it should look decent, so I hope this is a good solution to save time and effort on graphics, especially considering this is the first time ever Marte has been using Blender and doing 3D—and I think she's doing a great job! Hand Metal Right

Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »

starting to get the main mechanics together and get a feel for the look I'm going for.
The framerate is low on this gif so you can't really see how the lights flicker. Looks pretty cool in game.

ShiftedClock
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2016, 09:31:23 PM »

Your game looks absolutely awesome Miziziziz.

Here's my WIP: https://gfycat.com/SaltyWeeHairstreakbutterfly
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2016, 12:12:22 AM »

thanks! Like the portals[?] in yours

Here's the monster, hehheh:

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2016, 12:40:39 AM »

Nice! Very sleek. Will you be drawing actual characters later? Not sure I understand the gameplay just yet, but I guess I'll find out! c:

Yeah, there will be actual characters. There actually won't be that much of a gameplay, it's just a short linear satire story mostly.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2016, 03:09:44 AM »

Feeling a bit uncreative with our detective story with mechanics like a diet version of The Room when I see all of your wacky ideas!

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2016, 07:45:57 AM »

Afraid I don't know that one, but maybe after I play your entry I'll be presenting that game as "think of that elevator game" instead? c;
My design goal for the LD is now to make the above sentence possible true. Gentleman

As usual I'm overwhelmed by how hard Literary writings actually is. About half of the (very short) story is now in place. Luckily I've found a workaround in my "borrowed" UI that makes it more usable, so thinks will turn out ok even if I do not have the time to replace it.

(The image above is a link to the most recently uploaded snapshot)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic