Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:36:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 95240 times)
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: December 25, 2013, 10:57:30 AM »

actually we already had a kickstarter for SD back in 2009. it was the second game ever successfully backed on kickstarter or something like that. but the $1500 we got obviously wasn't enough to fund 6 years of development

For some people

1500 dollars is way too much for 6 years
Aka get a real job...
facepalm people.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #521 on: December 25, 2013, 11:26:45 AM »

oh, i do have a job (freelance writing), that's why it's taking 6 years, haha. if i was able to work on it full time it'd be done years ago

so basically what you are saying is that nobody should ever do a kickstarter, for any reason? the point of that site is to help people do projects that an audience wants done, by giving them the funds to allow those things to be done. my game cannot be finished without funding, and not every job provides enough funding to finish it. artists are expensive -- for the amount of art i'm looking at, we'd need tens of thousands of dollars. my job isn't enough to cover that; i've already put at least $5,000 of money into the project from myself (beyond the $1500 from the kickstarter -- and i don't mean 'imagined salary', that'd be a lot more, i mean in terms of paying for things (fees, programs, sound resources, etc.) necessary to make the game)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:37:37 AM by Paul Eres » Logged

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: December 25, 2013, 11:34:16 AM »

oh, i do have a job (freelance writing), that's why it's taking 6 years, haha. if i was able to work on it full time it'd be done years ago

so basically what you are saying is that nobody should ever do a kickstarter, for any reason? the point of that site is to help people do projects that an audience wants done, by giving them the funds to allow those things to be done. my game cannot be finished without funding, and not every job provides enough funding to finish it. artists are expensive -- for the amount of art i'm looking at, we'd need tens of thousands of dollars. my job isn't enough to cover that

Yeah , i was sarcastic ? sorry about that.
it was an irony of course !

I was meaning : 1500 is way too low for 6 years , it's ridiculous.
You deserve way more.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #523 on: December 25, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »

ah, sorry. but some people actually *do* think like that, so my reply can be taken to be for those people who are like 'nobody needs a kickstarter to make an indie game'

anyway, i am trying to make the game as inexpensively as i can; my computer is 5 years old for example. but the choice is either make a worse game or get some type of funding, so i prefer to try the funding. if i can't raise anything (if people aren't interested in the game) for a kickstarter i'll still do the best i can to finish it without a budget. but it will take a lot longer to finish that way

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: December 25, 2013, 01:04:02 PM »

Oh well than, hopefully 2nd KS is a success as well, art certainly can be expensive.

Reminds me to appreciate my partner once more.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #525 on: January 03, 2014, 01:48:10 PM »

Yeah Paul, your kickstarter Backers are still patently waiting. This and Flywrench, at least Resonance!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: January 03, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »

ya i'm working steadily on it; yesterday i added muting of the sound when the window isn't in focus, which actually required a dll because game maker stupidly doesn't have a way to test if the window is in focus or not

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #527 on: January 03, 2014, 10:55:36 PM »

http://indiestatik.com/2014/01/01/indie-games-2014/

saturated dreamers was mentioned on this list of the 100 most anticipated indie games of 2014

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #528 on: January 11, 2014, 12:52:15 AM »

my cousin carrie is in danger of losing her job/car/apartment if she can't come up with $500 in three days, but she also doesn't want to accept gifts or loans due to pride. so i came up with a plan to pay her to help me with my game's editing (she's a writer), which works around her dislike of getting something for nothing or begging (i have no such dislike of begging, especially when it's for someone else)

i myself don't have $500 on hand however, so if any of you are willing to help out, here's a paypal donate link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YASCY8JVLBH4J -- i can pay everyone back within 6 months unless you tell me not to, any amount would be good. credit/debit cards will work

by donating you'd be helping out one of my family members *and* improving the game and helping it come out sooner, because i'd have someone to help me out with the game's writing's revision/editing process

if you like, this can also operate as a pre-order for my game; any donation of at least $15 will receive a free copy of the game when it's released

offal
Level 0

goblet lifestyle

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: January 11, 2014, 01:21:08 AM »

game maker stupidly doesn't have a way to test if the window is in focus or not

http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/operating%20system/os_is_paused.html
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: January 11, 2014, 01:22:25 AM »

i think that's studio only; SD is being made in gm7

offal
Level 0

goblet lifestyle

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: January 11, 2014, 01:27:10 AM »

ah, my mistake.

edit: gonna quote this back in since i sort of bumped it out of sight with the new page:

Quote from: paul
my cousin carrie is in danger of losing her job/car/apartment if she can't come up with $500 in three days, but she also doesn't want to accept gifts or loans due to pride. so i came up with a plan to pay her to help me with my game's editing (she's a writer), which works around her dislike of getting something for nothing or begging (i have no such dislike of begging, especially when it's for someone else)

i myself don't have $500 on hand however, so if any of you are willing to help out, here's a paypal donate link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YASCY8JVLBH4J -- i can pay everyone back within 6 months unless you tell me not to, any amount would be good. credit/debit cards will work

by donating you'd be helping out one of my family members *and* improving the game and helping it come out sooner, because i'd have someone to help me out with the game's writing's revision/editing process

if you like, this can also operate as a pre-order for my game; any donation of at least $15 will receive a free copy of the game when it's released
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: January 11, 2014, 06:01:25 AM »

best of luck to you and your cousin, Paul!

I'd gladly help if I wasn't in debt myself  Undecided

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: January 11, 2014, 07:21:49 AM »

no problem, same case for many people i'm sure. so far we have $90 in contributions and more people who have promised to give something soon.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: January 11, 2014, 01:32:29 PM »

and we've reached $500! i only posted this request on facebook and here, i'm impressed at how quickly it worked out. many thanks.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: January 11, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »

wow, I'm impressed how many awesome ppl there are, congratz!

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: January 11, 2014, 03:22:30 PM »

awesome! Great to hear that Smiley

ink.inc
« Reply #537 on: January 11, 2014, 08:07:34 PM »

i'm using game maker to make SD, but i still wrote 60,000 lines of code while doing so [...]

What program do you use to do line counts in GM? I can't seem to find any online (either the links are dead or the dl site looks shady as fuck).
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: January 11, 2014, 08:13:07 PM »

you can export all the scripts. right click the 'scripts' folder (at the top level) and select 'export all scripts'. it'll export them into a single file. you can then count the number of lines in that file.

this also counts comments, so if you want you can use a separate program to strip comments and blank lines (there are several such)

ink.inc
« Reply #539 on: January 11, 2014, 08:26:32 PM »

ah, thank you!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic