Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:12:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Lost Light of Sisu
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: The Lost Light of Sisu  (Read 43167 times)
Nordanvinden
Level 2

Indie game developer from Stockholm Sweden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2017, 11:56:54 PM »

#Update 129 - Icon

Stuff I did yesterday:

• So when I finally though I had fixed the dropdown menu, I realized that it did not work for controllers, only keyboard Shocked
    Luckily it was just a simple miss where I had forgot to trigger the event system for controller input.

• Then I started looking into removing the mouse (cursor) completely. So far you have been able to use it in menus, but in combination with the dropdown options, it created some bugs where the UI lost focus and you could not get it back. It turns out its harder than I expected to ignore mouse clicks in the event system. There are solutions for sure, but I decided to wait since it wasnt that straight forward.

• Started working on the last planets visuals. I want to make a planet with a lot of craters. I will try to keep working on the final boss today and finish those graphics.

Very early version of last planet.

• Application icon! I did a really quick version of an application icon. It feels pretty optimal Cool

Application icon.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »

I also ran into a bug where the spaceship moved way faster on lower graphical settings.

Speed bug happening when lowering graphics settings
Hahaha, that reminds me of a Game Jam I once joined where you had a little space-ship that you could send from one planet to the other with a click. You could zoom in and out of the planets, but our programmer mis-coded the speed of the space-ship to be relative to screen dimensions; you always covered the same nr of visible pixels per second. So zooming out would make you speed up relative to the in-game universe!

But this was a happy accident, it gave us a really nice way to control speed with simple control scheme actually worked really well with this game! Time was not an element in the game mechanics (we were making a space-themed logic puzzler), so it didn't break any mechanics, and it actually gave a really cool method of fine-grained control over movement.

Haha that sounds kinda cool. I like the idea of being able to control "fast travel" that way. If you wanna travel far and fast, just zoom out the map like you would anyways. Neat! The fine grained control also sounds very nice! Talk about a bug turning into a feature Gentleman

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »

#Update 130 - Crater world visuals

So I have decided and implemented what the crater worlds visual style is. This is from the world map and from inside the level:

The whole level.

Deep pits

I had an idea of trying to have deep pits in the ground that would render on top of the flat ground. For this I tried adding another camera that just cleared the depth buffer. This way I could render things on top of the normal camera. An issue was that everything underneath the hole was rendered as well. I didn't want to put more time into it, but to make this look right, I'm thinking that I would need to have an occlusion material that only renders to the depth buffer to covers these un-culled faces.

Inner side of pit has camera facing faces that does not get culled and therefore gets rendered on top of everything.

Icon
I also created some more versions of the icon. Which one do you like the best? My Word!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »

Top one for me. But you know there are various tools to turn low-res icons into SVGs, right Wink
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2017, 10:41:19 PM »

#Update 131 - Fishy visuals

So yesterday it was time to make some idle animations for the main character and some graphics and animations for the fish-enemies (including the boss I guess).

Idle animations

So while standing idle, the eye can either blink once or twice in a quick mannor. It can also start looking around in some random angles. This is a pretty simple implementation, but I think it serves the idle animation purpose and still have some variation to it.

Idle animation.

Fish graphics

I also started working on the graphics and animations for the fishes. I want something simple and playful. This is what I have got so far:

So the idea is that the fish will open its mouth on certain occassions. I'm not totally sure about when yet though.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2017, 11:02:18 PM »

Top one for me. But you know there are various tools to turn low-res icons into SVGs, right Wink

Agreed. Its probably the clearest one, thanks for the opinion Smiley
I havent needed an SVG yet but I probably will ahead, and I didn't know you could create an SVG from a png directly. Thats a good tip, thanks!  Gentleman

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: December 01, 2017, 01:58:16 AM »

Shhhhh

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2017, 11:23:58 PM »

#Update 132 - Sneaky bird

I have kept working on graphics and there has been progress in the fish and bird area.

Fish

So there has been a few additions since the last post:
- The fish opens its mouth when attacking.
- The attack range circle graphics are updated and animated.

Poor fish stuck on land  Cry

Bird

I am aiming for a somewhat alien playful bird. I might add some wind particles when inhaling and exhaling air. This is the current status:

Blend shapes

I like to create animations by using blend shapes. That is basically what I have done for both the fish and the bird. These are the blend shapes for the bird:

Conclusion

So these are basically the only two animated living things in the game, if you ignore the spinning and spitting plants, and the bosses. I wanted to keep them simple yet make them fit into the art style and be playful. Right now I think they do just that.

I also like how the "aggression circle" turned out, with red in the edges and a clear color in the middle where the enemy is. It makes it easier to know where the enemy is and when it will attack. The animation helped a lot with making it feel good too.

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: December 07, 2017, 08:55:59 AM »

Shhhhh

Haha.. well spotted. That sneaky feeling was spot on Gentleman

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2017, 01:30:01 AM »

#Update 133 - Boss & Bird

I have kept on working on the sneaky bird and the fishy second boss.

Bird

So this is the result from trying to make the bird inhale and exhale air.. I like how its playful, but I hope its not too playful compared to the rest of the game?

These are some variants that I tried:

Big Fish Boss

So the second boss got a huge graphical makeover. Now its a big fish that uses its tongue to eat smaller fish, yummy. Right now it just starts wiggling and then makes it way backwards to the next stop. I tried making it turn (sadly I forgot to record a gif) but it did not turn out that well. And especially not for all of the different stopping points. I still like the swimming backwards thing. It kind of makes it feel a bit more retro somehow? My brain might just have gotten used to it though and trying to excuse it by thinking its retro Grin

Random

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2017, 03:14:36 AM »

I might have missed it but you can't die in this game right? All opposition is in the form of impeding your movement, kinda like the wonderful RunMan: Race Around The World (but without the speed emphasis).

If I remembered that correctly: how are you designing bosses in this context? Is it like a "you spent the whole level getting used to your temporary abilities, now show how you mastered them"-type deal?
Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2017, 07:51:35 AM »

Shhhhh

Good job on the camera work  Wink I reminds me of a certain fight in Shadow of the Colossus!

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: December 08, 2017, 09:04:55 AM »

This looks fascinating! Good luck with the development. Smiley

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
Grhyll
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 08, 2017, 01:37:37 PM »

Wow I'm kind of amazed you're so serious and regular with your updates, way to go! Lots of new stuff since the last time I saw this project, congrats :D

Programmer at The Game Bakers
3-50.net
Current project: oQo
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: December 09, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »

This looks fascinating! Good luck with the development. Smiley

Thank you, I appreciate it Smiley

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »

Shhhhh

Good job on the camera work  Wink I reminds me of a certain fight in Shadow of the Colossus!

Hey, thanks! If I understand you correctly though, I am sad to say its only a part of the screen. So normally the character is centered horizontally. But I like the idea of a "situation aware" camera system Smiley

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: December 09, 2017, 10:58:07 AM »

Wow I'm kind of amazed you're so serious and regular with your updates, way to go! Lots of new stuff since the last time I saw this project, congrats :D

Thanks for letting me know! Helps me want to keep on making them Smiley
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:45:40 AM by Nordanvinden » Logged

Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: December 09, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »

I might have missed it but you can't die in this game right? All opposition is in the form of impeding your movement, kinda like the wonderful RunMan: Race Around The World (but without the speed emphasis).

Exactly. The idea is that you cant die and as soon as you have finished an obstacle, its done. Trying to be a less frustrating but still challenging game.

If I remembered that correctly: how are you designing bosses in this context? Is it like a "you spent the whole level getting used to your temporary abilities, now show how you mastered them"-type deal?

It is kind of like that in all the boss fights, but they also have another layer of "how to not kill the player but still be challenging". I did think about how to achieve this a lot. The result is kind of mixed. Sadly, I have not implemented the "purest" versions of this in all the boss fights because of my scope and time frame.

Boss 1 - Spinning Pusher
So in the first world you the temporary abilities are: Speed and Jump. This makes it perfect for a boss that is chasing you (or you chasing it, could have been the better way to go in hindsight).

So my initial idea was that you would be chased by this huge guy that is basically playing with you. And when they catch you, they pick you up and put you down on a previously reached "checkpoint". This would have been a very nice way to not kill you, but still punish you. It is basically the same thing, but visually, story wise and emotionally something totally different.

Anyway, this is not what I did, since I felt like I did not have the time to make this huge boss character with animations and all. So how it works now is that when the boss catches up to you, you get thrown backwards. The game fades to black and you get beamed down to your most recent checkpoint. The level has several checkpoints to make the experience less frustrating by not having to replay the whole level. It is technically the same thing as the initial idea, but presented, in my opinion, in a worse way. I have play tested it quite a lot and people generally does not react to it as "you died" which was the main goal.

Boss 2 - Big Fish
New temporary abilities are: Flying and Slamming into the ground, wind or "diving" under water.

Here you have to make regular sized enemies chase you and trick them to get close enough to a big fish boss that will then eat them. This makes the big fish move. So here its more about coming up with the idea of feeding the fish with smaller fish and tricking them to get close enough. It is a bit more playful, includes other elements into the game and naturally removes the need for killing the player.

Boss 3 - X (not decided yet)
This world only contains the final boss and does not introduce any new energies. The boss level has two parts. The first part where the player needs to progress and avoid getting hit by the projectiles fired at them. If you get hit, you restart at your last reached checkpoint (like the first boss). Then it has a final part where you need to figure out how to damage the boss and get the final super-energy.

Here the player gets a stronger sense of dying and failing than the first boss. It is the last thing you do in the game though, so I kind of like that it makes you feel more vulnerable. I will try to make the restart more natural though, so the player hopefully wont think of it as dying. Honestly though, I would have liked to have more bosses that plays out like the second one. More playful and with natural reasons for not dying.

Final
I had other ideas like: Having the player steal the energy power ups from a boss that were protecting them by trying to push you away. And every time you stole an energy from them, they would move to another place, presenting a new challenge. Kind of a different twist on the second boss.

Another one was to have the player choose an energy/temporary ability and then perform different unique tasks with each one of them. The boss would be finished when all powers had been utilized in the correct way.

Sorry for this long long answer, but its something I have though a lot about and something that I feel has not been done too many times before, so its an interesting topic. Haha, its actually way longer than most posts so I guess your question hit a subject that's dear to me Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2017, 04:35:24 PM »

Sorry for this long long answer
Don't apologize! I'm interested in reading this; why else do you think I asked? Tongue
Nordanvinden
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2017, 11:05:48 PM »

Sorry for this long long answer
Don't apologize! I'm interested in reading this; why else do you think I asked? Tongue

Haha, good point Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic