Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:10:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDante's Inferno
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Dante's Inferno  (Read 53391 times)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 06:34:40 AM »

That would be pretty cool, actually. Thing, it wouldn't exactly fit.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2009, 08:51:30 AM »

I didn't read Inferno directly, but I know what it's like for the most part. The thing is that it doesn't seem at all fit to be a game in the traditional sense. It's mostly Dante walking through the layers of Heaven and Hell and commenting on the things he sees. It could be very interesting as an alternative game, but a traditional one of the likes EA tends to publish? Not in the least.

They're obviously not interested in the original story. They're only interested in getting a profitable IP to compete with the upcoming God of War 3 and need people to actually pay attention to it, which is where a recognizeable name comes. It's all marketing.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2009, 09:06:16 AM »

Basically they wanted to beat God Of War but the brand is too strong, so they would be unable to with a new IP. So they plundered the out-of-copyright stuff to find something they wouldn't have to pay for just in case they fuck it up and it doesn't sell as well as GoW. As long as it can vaguely be related to some kind of God of War clone, it's A-OK as far as Marketing are concerned, and what do the serfs at the two EA studios who are slaving away over it (Oh the irony - I wonder which circle of hell they are residing in to have to work at EA like that) care?

Can this piece of shit and shoot the cunts that came up with it in the face.

*applause*

Alex understands the games industry. Too well in fact.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »

Weirdly the only thing that really grated my eyeballs in that video was his Chain-Scythe(tm). But thinking about it, that one item pretty much sums up the entire thing.

I'm not saying I liked the rest of it, I just zoned out.  WTF

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2009, 09:09:25 AM »

Reminds me of Devil May Cry, in the sense that it borrows from Inferno, but it surely doesn't claim to be faithful. At least I should hope.

PaleFox
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2009, 02:31:50 PM »

As far as I know, it DOES claim to be faithful, and if not at least the fanboys certainly claim that status. Which is very very sad.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2009, 02:55:40 PM »

Fanboys can go screw themselves. I want to know what the devs say.

FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2009, 04:02:31 PM »

I still think Dante's Inferno could work as a Knytt Stories level (or some such platforming affair), like a platformer where you go through the various levels of hell. It would account for Dante's lack of badassery, too.

As for political conversations and such, you'd use either awesome symbolism or awful text dump conversations.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2009, 04:07:36 PM »

What's so awful about "text dump" conversations? Most of my favorite games are text-heavy (xenogears, planescape: torment, etc.).

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2009, 04:16:40 PM »

Oh friggin' fr0ck, EA rendering the Pilgrim as a buff but moody semi-emo warrior ("the man who don't fear death") in a action slasher obviously intended to attempt to be the next God of War killer... This game could have been an ironic entry in the B-Games compo here, fercrienoutlawd. Screamy

Seriously, they could just have named the same game "Hell Killer" and the game would have sold just as well: a wild slasher in hell with crazy gfx sounds like a sure bet. Lips Sealed

I look forward to EA's next conscientious adaptation of literary classics in "Ishmaels' Bloodtrail", where you play the buff pirate Ishmael that must slash his way though an onslaught of his arch-enemy Moby Dick's minions before confronting him in an epic show-down, complete with quick-time events.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »

And the truth is that this won't make a single dent in the God of War monolyth. Feels like wasted effort.

Gnarf
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2009, 04:35:02 PM »

I look forward to EA's next conscientious adaptation of literary classics in "Ishmaels' Bloodtrail", where you play the buff pirate Ishmael that must slash his way though an onslaught of his arch-enemy Moby Dick's minions before confronting him in an epic show-down, complete with quick-time events.

Can Captain Jonah Ahab slash his way out of the belly of the whale with his scythe-for-a-leg?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2009, 04:45:23 PM »

This is a good metaphor for american entertainment "culture" as a whole.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2009, 05:24:26 PM »

Reminds me of this game, except Dante's Inferno is a serious game.

Seriously AWESOME
JoeHonkie
Level 8

RIP Major Sebastian Bludd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2009, 05:33:30 AM »

Can Captain Jonah Ahab slash his way out of the belly of the whale with his scythe-for-a-leg?
I would play that.  I would play that!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2009, 09:02:45 PM »

Literature Adaption Compo?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2009, 10:32:40 PM »

I actually like that idea.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2009, 03:42:27 AM »

Literature Adaption Compo?

YES.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2009, 03:44:31 AM »

There already was one, about Lovecraft. A more broader one where someone could adapt any out-of-copyright literary work would be nice though.

Renton
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2009, 04:03:04 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic