Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 07:45:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignVerticality in isometric games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Verticality in isometric games  (Read 5113 times)
8loop8
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2017, 03:13:30 AM »

Recently, i was thinking 2D isometric action RPGs, what could be added or how could the genre benefit from design points from other games. I stumbled upon an article that describes how isometric 2D games are similar to side scrollers in a sense that they lack etiher z or y dimension. That means that a game in 2D has both artistic potential and gameplay potential in the third dimension.  http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/columns/extra-punctuation/12056-Taking-On-Detrimental-Isometric-Game-Design

In side-scrollers the artistic dimension is easier to resolve because of backgrounds and parallax scrolling (layers of background moving at different speed, giving the impression of depth). A great example of this is Rain World. However, i did not find any side-scrollers that include depth in their gameplay. sidescrollers aside, Im more interested in the potential of isometric 2D games.

In the case of isometric games, because the camera is always pointing at the floor, you better have some pretty floors to keep the visuals interesting. I know some games that resolve this issue with simmilar techniques as sidescrolling games (Hyperlight driftercomes to mind first) but others, for example Eitr, i feel are really not using the potential of the perspective with room-corridor-room floor design. The game is not out yet so im basing my opinion on gameplay trailers.

Hyperlight drifter

Eitr

The point on which i found myself unable to think of any games that resolve the issue is again the gameplay aspect in the missing dimension. Usually levels in those kinds of games tend to be sprawling boards with strategically praced teleporters to prevent backtracking - and with that you give the player the option to avoid all the beautiful enviroment you crafted.

Some solutions i came up with is a system of layers, like previously mentioned game boards, only smaller and stacked one ontop of the other, giving the illusion of verticality, and enabling gameplay to include opporunity and danger above an below the player, as opposed to only around him.

Seeing that isometric perspective is most useful in strategy games, I think that an isometric 2D RPG that utilized verticality would be something really unique.

Are there any isometric games that have vertically oriented levels that are interconnected and complex such as those in 3D games or sidescrollers? Do you know any 2D isometric games that utilize height in their gameplay? Do you have any other ideas for makind isometric 2D more vertical?
Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 04:04:20 AM »

2D

Orthographic

Don't know any isometric examples ...
8loop8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 05:47:34 AM »

What is the name of the game in the second screenshot?
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 05:49:45 AM »

What is the name of the game in the second screenshot?
click the screenshot  Tongue
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 05:52:23 AM »

check this game:

Lemmings Pingball

8loop8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 11:00:43 PM »

Thanks for the info, i can see something that combines these examples working. Jack Bros is something like the layering idea i described earlier, and adding height on the layers like Lemmings Pingball makes for an interesting effect. Thanks  Smiley
Resource
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 10:53:03 AM »

Unless I'm not understanding your definition of verticality I think there are many example of games presented in a 2d view with a 3rd interactive dimension. take Fallout 2 for example, you can enter buildings and go upstairs, that's verticality. For side scroller you could reference Little Big Planet, where you have 3 layers if I recall correctly that allow you to move in the depth axis.
I imagine the reason you don't see a lot of games leaning heavily on a third interactive axis when they are 2d games is because they've made the conscious choice to use 2d, and don't need that third dimension to improve the game.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:17:27 AM »

I think that there's little to no verticality in isometric games. because of camera issues. See, if there is a wall in an iso game where you can't rotate camera, it can obscure an enemy or a trap which makes for a frustrating experience.

Another thing is that jumps are hard to resolve in an isometric game. Even isometric section of Yooka-Laylee (found after expanding second world) suffers from it and you often fall into a pit because you let go of a button too early or too late. And that game has a shadow to tell you where you land, which is more than can be said of many isometric platformers!

Therefore, in my opinion, verticality in isometric games not only may not add to the experience, but it may actually detract from it!

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 08:40:45 AM »

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the GBA attempts to have some verticality so as to preserve the iconic jump mechanics, although at times it can get confusing, but I did find it enjoyable in general, so the concept has merit.

Here you have the map from one of the areas (not displaying it on the post, it's pretty big):

http://www.mariouniverse.com/images/maps/gba/mlss/beanbean-outskirts.png

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »

I think the reason it works in Mario & Luigi is that the verticality is used sparsely and the jumping is rarely actually needed (there are places where you may WANT to jump, because there's a ? block, but you rarely actually need to jump to get to the next area). While the OP seems to want more involved verticality which poses problems outlined in my previous post.

Be a computer virus!

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 01:06:50 AM »

Really? When I played it recently, I remember a lot of jumping to access different areas, and the lack of proper depth perception lead to way too many falls back to the start.

The tileset design does try to mitigate the confusion by coloring different heights with different hues, but the head on perspective (not even isometric, mind you) makes it easy to misjudge what platforms align with you as you jump.

There's even an underwater level where you have to keep track of your altitude (by mashing the "swim" button) both to avoid death spikes and floating monsters.

I enjoyed the game, but without a proper 3d perspective, verticality in this sort of game can be a mess.

But if you're telling me all the jumping in M&L:SS is scarce then I shudder to think the kind of jumping you people have in mind....  Screamy

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 09:46:09 AM »

Google c64 isometric platformer.

As of M&L, most of these jumps aren't REQUIRED to complete the game, just gives you access to some ? blocks or a coin block. Places where it's actually required are rare thorough the game (it pick ups more after SS, particularly in DS games, but in SS it's easy).

Be a computer virus!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »

also the actual jumping mechanics in mario & luigi are very simple (compared to the "main" mario games) and the "platforming" is mostly not challenging. the games are also not really isometric which helps with readability.

iso games with a lot of verticality can sometimes work (tactics ogre and games like that) but overall i have to agree with darkhog, most of these games are annoying/confusing to play due to camera issues and have aged poorly. im thinking of games like little big adventure, landstalker, sonic 3d blast etc.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 06:44:48 AM »

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 07:34:32 AM »

Well, color me inexperienced in isometric games with verticality then  WTF

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »

a big problem with direct character control in an iso perspective is that on a dpad diagonal becomes straight which is not only physically uncomfortable on a lot of dpads but also awkward gameplay.

there's direct mouse control a la diablo which works well in a flat environment but lacks precision and/or fluidity for things like platforming imo.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2017, 03:21:06 PM »

Some iso games I've played (don't remember specific titles though) try to mitigate the control by making rotating controls by 45 degrees, so e.g. when players presses "up" the character moves up-left on screen and so on. Makes sense if you ask me.

Be a computer virus!

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 12:08:51 AM »

Are there any isometric games that have vertically oriented levels that are interconnected and complex such as those in 3D games or sidescrollers? Do you know any 2D isometric games that utilize height in their gameplay? Do you have any other ideas for makind isometric 2D more vertical?

Some levels in Super Mario RPG (SNES) does this... It use player's blob shadow to help determining the height(but not really that helpful unfortunately)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 03:08:05 AM »

I see nobody mentioned Snake Rattle n Roll so I thought I'd just drop that

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
SchriefFighter
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 07:24:25 PM »

I think as in all things if there's not an example of what you're looking for, it means it's open for you to create it, that's part of the fun of game design. You take elements that others have done and take them to a new level
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic