Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:39:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProteus
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Proteus  (Read 49330 times)
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2010, 08:02:06 AM »

Just thought I'd post to say that stuff is happening again with this Smiley

We're working on an interactive music system to support the atmospheric exploration.

More news and maybe a video with amazing non-copyright-infringing soundtrack soon...

godatplay
Level 1

Josh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2010, 07:55:37 AM »

Interactive music system?!  You have my attention Smiley

/////////////////////////
God at play - meaningful games - spiritual games
@godatplay
/////////////////////////
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2010, 03:34:23 PM »

Looks great!  Take care of your wrists, though!
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2010, 11:14:55 PM »

Thanks! The music system (and content!) is progressing well, hope to have something publicly visible/audible in a few days.

(and my wrists are holding up well so far thank you!)

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2010, 03:48:43 AM »

There isn't much (=any) development news posted on it yet, but I started a tumblr blog to provide updates and random related stuff on this project.

It's here: http://twistedtreegames.tumblr.com/

Progress has been good, we're slowly getting more of an idea of what the game will be like: "not really a game" as it turns out, but hopefully an interesting and satisfying exploration experience.

Currently working on an upgrade to the rain/clouds, linking up some sounds to in-game objects and prototyping ambient wildlife and ghosts and stuff.

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »

Should I update this more often.... probably... anyway!

I've been working on day-night cycles for this, and a pleasingly ancient model of the heavens, about which I wrote some nonsense earlier: http://twistedtreegames.tumblr.com/post/797521853/the-celestial-sphere

Initial super-buggy screenshots of it almost working:

We have some exciting ideas for events and music tied to the day-night cycle, will post a video when they're implemented Smiley

Oh, and there's an slightly old video showing some other ideas and the dynamic soundtrack in action:

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »

Ooh, night. Very nice. Smiley

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2010, 01:46:51 PM »

Thanks! I got the whole celestial sphere business sorted out today, and fixed all the problems with latitude being interpreted wrongly, the sky turning the wrong way, etc. Was hoping to post some screenshots but there are some bugs with the palette that I think I'll try and fix first..

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2011, 03:49:53 AM »

Proteus is not dead, just sleeping! We're hoping to have it ready for GDC, and then downloadable shortly after.

Just posted this for #screenshotsaturday:

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

...This is one of those "achievement" thingies, right?  Embarrassed

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2011, 03:56:19 AM »

Fantastic, this has been on my 'can't wait' list for ages...

Helmeted
Level 0

Death Panelist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2011, 09:23:57 AM »

Really love the aesthetic here.

tsameti
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2011, 09:57:20 AM »

Did you say early on that you were thinking about a context-less grammar system?

There are so many things I'd want to learn from your project. How big of a team is working with you? Or are you the principal? Are there resources you draw from to help you design procedural landscape algorithms, or are you figuring things out by yourself?

I feel like I'm drowning in pastel, and it's zen. Enjoy GDC.

Current
Poikolos

Permanently on Hiatus
Son, Stranger
shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2011, 10:18:17 AM »

Thanks for the nice words!

@tsameti there's not really a team! It's just me doing the code + graphics and David Kanaga doing the music.

The context-free grammar thing from a while ago was a little experiment to generate place names, but the game doesn't use it. As for terrain algorithms, this is a custom system for this project... I think I wrote a rough tutorial somewhere in this thread, I'll try and find it.
(Edit: here http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8072.msg256869#msg256869 Maybe I'll do more thorough version if you're interested and when I have time to write it up nicely)

I should probably say that the "gameplay" is very minimalistic - purely exploration, finding "portals", creatures - so don't expect too much Wink
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:32:53 AM by Ed » Logged

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »

It's great to know this is still being worked on. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2011, 11:31:59 AM »

What the what! I completely forgot about this and now I am so excited again!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2011, 01:47:57 AM »

This looks wonderful!
I love how you can travel above the cloud line!

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:22 AM »

That's a timely reminder to occasionally bring back the solid cloud layer from the first video - currently it just has isolated rain showers. I just had one of those great (but inconvenient) moments last night, almost asleep and then had to scramble to get a pen and paper to write down an idea to tweak the landscape to enhance that particular effect. Gonna code it and see if it works...
[Edit: Bah. It's possible, but not as simple to implement as I thought. Anyway, the idea is to find all mountain regions that are near or at the cloud height and then push (a fraction of them) them above it, giving more "islands in the sky" and less wandering about in zero visibility]

Watch this space for some seasonal music preview MP3s and a new video  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 12:54:36 AM by Ed » Logged

dkanaga
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2011, 08:13:15 PM »

Hello! I'm David, and am doing the music for this project. Here's an mp3 with 20-30 seconds of music from each season--it starts with spring and ends with winter. It's all slightly reactive in game, so you can imagine instruments mixing in and out as you walk around Smiley

http://www.davidkanaga.com/miscmusic/proteus_seasons.mp3

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

Yes! Also you can wander around in each season for as long as you like, so not only do you get more than 20 seconds worth, you also get various dynamic mixing effects associated with the dusk-night-dawn-day cycle Smiley

Also: if anyone reading this knows OpenGL and is feeling helpful... Got any idea about this problem? Thanks!!

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »

Oh you've picked up on this again! Can't wait for download man!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic