Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:17:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPama - a NSFW asymmetric multiplayer arena
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pama - a NSFW asymmetric multiplayer arena  (Read 1734 times)
satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »

Here we go, while still looking for some help​  with the netcode and, unfortunately, little feedback so far; I am still going to tune up this idea.. and also learning a bit more of coding. The original plan was to give 100% Patreon funding (first goal)​ to the one willing to cover the seat, but I guess I'll have by my own way alone if anyone else is up to.

Previously: after some random browsing, I found this excellent project given in free MIT license. ​OpenCombat,​​ a simple yet effective, fps arena or Godot Engine anyone can use to start their own project. And so did I: after tinkering a bit (mainly cut out features and include two royalty free characters found in internet (a Nymph exported with MakeHuman​  and a Minotaur​   ) I was able to set down the foundation of the whole concept:

video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x62s2op
(not much to see, just a lovely Nymph walking around a fearsome beast. NSFW for nymph's nudity!  Mock Anger)

My very first action was to set a basic concept and some media (pictures and videos) to illustrate the very basics of an enhanced tag game; in my mind were already rushing tons of idea about perks and skill each of the two class (satyr and nymph) may have, but I had to keep things most realistic possible. There are two big factors one can't ignore while drafting a whole concept for a game.

1) if they are actually possible (both for technical and content production)

2) game balance, big issue within an asymmetrical multiplayer arena

Here:  https://satyrs.itch.io/pama​​ you can find both the draft and the demo.

The first problem with OpenCombat arose quickly, this project appear to be abandoned, and seems to be no trace of possible export to Godot3, even worse...I can't even use the latest update of Godot2. OpenCombat was made in a narrow space of Godot2 production when it briefly supported high level networking. Godot 2 high level networking was discontinued in favour of the third iteration of the engine. As result you can't even use the latest stable Godot 2: you need to use a very specific commit in the unstable branch of Godot2: not ideal.

I tried by myself to export the part of OpenCombat towards Godot3 and I have already crashed to the first wall:​ unable to understand if the issue is caused either by me messing with the code, or Godot3 being still in alpha stage I had to take a pause and ask for help directly to the community.

In meanwhile the code is blocking me, I am trying to push forward in other directions.

after a more careful reading of turbosquid's ToS I came up a problematic limitation they place on their models: you can redistribute them using open formats: I plan to use, modify and redistribute all the artistic assets coming with the game within CC0 license. So, the minotaur model is now cut out! I found other good resources for a proper Satyr to include in the project

Not much help there, either, but I am getting everyday more confident with my blender skills: if messing with code won't suck up all my time available, I think I'll be able to provide quite some provisional assets to use for a playable prototype.

Meanwhile, I've found help from a very skilled artist who made a concept for a gorgeous Nymph I would love to see in the game: (nsfw link: hentai-foundry.com/pictures/user/FewScrewsLoose/542482/Mystical-nature-lady  ) a friend of mine also game me the definitive idea I am looking as per art-style: which will be very cartooney looking (I hope to show some (SFW) sample picture soon once lines polished).

That's all or now.

I'll leave the link for the main draft again, just to be sure for those who wanted to skip the whole TL;DR here Smiley

https://satyrs.itch.io/pama
satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »

Almost a month gone... damn I'm slow  Cry
Anyway, I am learning most of the thing I am doing: I can't say I've wasted time.

Now the prototype is... sort of playable, but the spaghetti core is strong here: can't say I am going for the best practices  Durr...?

https://github.com/satyries/Pama

By mashing together OpenCombat and the network multiplayer demo I did managed to make things working (again) with Godot 3 engine.
This is what I got working 4 days ago:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x654uu1

I've also opened a Patreon page for you-know-what: https://www.patreon.com/Pama while not too optimist about, it still may come handy as learning process.

Back on the project: something I don't like in all FPS games is the absence of body/feet when you look down. I am sure there are practical reason for this limitation; but since I am working onto a prototype (everything can be scrapped away) I though... "why don't see by yourself"?
Also... this will be a NSFW, being able to see the "relevant side" of the character's body you choose is part of the fun.

Additionally I've locked the camera to the head bone of the character rig... which mean the camera will bob based on the animation model is into.
The camera is not directly attached, but rather interpolated with the bone position: I can control the interpolation's weight: and this should give me more flexibility. If this mess with gameplay or anything else... I am ready to remove the feature Hand Any Key

now,back at work!

Coffee

satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »

The easy part of syncronize FPV and body on field animations is done. Now I am looking to add few more animations (walk backward, turn animation).
Just in case someone is asking what's exactly the "nsfw" part of this game I've made a small draft showing the process for both satyr and nymph when thei achieve their... goal into capturing their prey.

image as link 'cus... sort of NSFW

Animate FP camera on static binaries shouldn't be a problem... but make things interactive is still my goal. I hope it doesn't get too complicated.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 08:31:50 AM by satyries » Logged
satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 03:57:21 AM »

For my own internal testing I do use a very little map; my approach to programming is mostly "trial and error" so I've reload the map quite often, sometime require me about 10~15 client launch before being able to properly integrate a single feature or fix a bug.
But that basic map I do use is not suited to render the "feel" of the game, so I though that would be useful to two different maps: one for my internal testing and one for the the "public" with a proper, albeit  lowpoly, scenario that would help you into immerse into feeling Pama is trying to achieve.

video:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x66vb9m

The map is not available yet, I first want to be sure about few things, but you can download the blend file directly from the Pama's discord server  (the #development channel).
discord invite here

Btw; I am still on Patreon but so far didn't manage to "catch" even the support/interest even for a single ¢. That's beginning to look more hindering than helping for my motivation into this project. One month is past since I begun getting into this draft idea and two weeks on Patreon.
I've made both 3d models for a Satyr and a Nymph (lowpoly and with the help of pre made CC0 resources), animated them, scripted the code that sync player animations, begun to draft the "cinematic lockdown" (when a player is unable to move "trapped" by game events), made some draft, composed a map by using other cc0 lowpoly resource and other few minor/major few things that keep me rolling.

Without any kind of external support, the only source that draw me into accomplish these various tasks are, indeed, the tasks done by their own. I am beginning to think that tools like Patreon are more suited or developer into actual PR on a fixed/well established projects like visual novels, platformer or rpgmaker thing rather pioneering/cloudy stuff who may end into nothing like any kind of research towards the unknown.

I already have all the skills to make another generic visual novel; I could simply rotoscoping on 3d model animations and produce 2d art and stuff like that... but that's not my goal, even with better premise of actual founding.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:07:29 AM by satyries » Logged
satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 06:10:39 AM »

​Video update for the mechanics

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x68fulh

I was thinking to make this in sort of series... but it takes too much time to be done; I'd rather invest more time into actual prototype development; but still not sure, what do you think?
satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »

Posting a video was nice, but it took way too much time compared to the effective usefulness to showcase every aspect of the game. Also... being alone severely restrict my possibilities to play a multiplayer game for the public. Don't worry, I am not definitely abandoning the prototype development, I'll just delay a bit for the sake of better way to set game design milestone.

So, I am stepping back to the origin of the game design: sketches and words to directly address the features and issues.

This first draft add nothing new, I know: I'd like to call this the "draft of the draft"... in attempt to provide the best readable and predictable method to expose the ideas which will compose the gameplay.

satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 02:11:35 AM »

satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 02:58:47 PM »

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 11:03:16 PM »

Intriguing! Seems like a fun game to play with the spouse!

satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 02:13:01 PM »

Intriguing! Seems like a fun game to play with the spouse!
Yep, the actual spirit of the game idea is to be played between equally enjoying party. I didn't foresee this game as the Ultimate teabagging challenge  Lips Sealed
satyries
Level 0

Satyr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic