Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411909 Posts in 69429 Topics- by 58477 Members - Latest Member: KriegsHetzer

June 10, 2024, 12:05:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMinecraft (alpha)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft (alpha)  (Read 1327399 times)
johnnoz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: June 20, 2009, 02:06:23 AM »

hmm strange, there seems to be a bug that causes the browser to crash (in this case Firefox) when it tries to run the java app.

I'll try to get a screenshot when I can
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 20, 2009, 06:39:44 AM »

I keep getting kicked from TIGLand because I'm lagging too much! Hand Shake Left Apoplectic What's the ping limit? Can't that be set server-side?

EDIT: Also, it seems sponges work even through walls...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:46:12 AM by Caio » Logged
Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 20, 2009, 08:18:31 AM »

Yes sponges work through walls and that shouldn't be changed, people made wonderfull things because of that "bug".

EDIT:  Cave Story In COLORS:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 04:05:30 AM by Nikica » Logged
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 21, 2009, 10:03:24 AM »

I've finally found some time this weekend to spend some more quality hours with this fine piece of software. I love it. It gives me a combination of the feelings of playing with Lego (with the added bonus of being able to walk around in your creations) and of exploring strange dark places in the woods as a child. Sometimes while digging around underwater, I would sometimes find huge hidden underwater caverns where there's actually air, and you can only go from one cavern to the other by diving through long water-filled tunnels... so awesome.

Now if only it wouldn't still crash Java every now and then... it seems to have gotten much better, but it still happens. Being able to save alleviates it, but still.

Also, I have some performance problems on my machine. I can sort of play the smallest maps, but everything larger (in particular, multiplayer games) brings my machine to its knees. Notch, do you see potential for optimizations in the engine, or is this about as far as you can push it? It seems to lag particularly when digging.

EDIT: Holy shit, I just tried IE and I seem to get way better framerates than in Firefox.

Anyway, here's some cool stuff I made over the weekend (this is all in one map):

The game handed me a bunch of trees, so of course I did what any self-respecting gentleman would do and built a tree fort with lots of little interconnected platforms:

The large column to the left is actually hollow, and if you jump down it you end up in a super-villain style underwater base made of glass:

This is how it looks from the outside:

There's more, like an underwater airlock into which you have to dive, but it's hard to show in pictures. Do these "play map" links work? http://www.minecraft.net/play.jsp?user=muku&id=0
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:06:43 AM by muku » Logged
Kekskiller
« Reply #404 on: June 21, 2009, 10:28:20 AM »

The link works fine for me! I also discovered a secret hidden-by-wood underwater tunnel close to your little house on the beach.
Nikica
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 21, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »

Curly &  Cave Story :
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 21, 2009, 10:38:03 AM »

I was very close to write "the colours are wrong" but instead I ended up hating myself for considering writing that.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: June 21, 2009, 10:45:36 AM »

So what will happen when the game area is filled with one billion cave story figures?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: June 21, 2009, 11:38:12 AM »

@moi:  Well, by the time that happens, Minecraft will have re-sizeable server areas (?  Beg)

Then we can just make a bigger map.  Hurray, more Balrog!

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Nikica
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 22, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »

Here goes a weird Balrog because there are only 16 colors but still he looks nice:
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #410 on: June 23, 2009, 07:51:18 AM »

never forget the zulu church

Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 25, 2009, 01:56:43 AM »

Notch, do you see potential for optimizations in the engine, or is this about as far as you can push it? It seems to lag particularly when digging.

Does it lag more when the chunk rebuild value is higher? What graphics card do you have?
Perhaps building display lists is extra slow on your setup.

For actual rendering (not the chunk rebuilds), there are two optimizations waiting to happen whenever I get a night free and feel extra high on red bull:

1) Collapse tiles with the same texture and color into a single quad along the u texture axis. This is potentially a massive reduction in visible quads, and actually might speed up chunk rebuilding as well..
2) Occlusion culling! This is hard as nails, but would give fairly immense speedups in corridors and other closed in areas, as long as the actual culling overhead is lower than just rendering the stuff is.

More options for server level size and so are coming, but at the moment I'm focusing on sound and survival.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 25, 2009, 04:09:15 AM »

Notch, do you see potential for optimizations in the engine, or is this about as far as you can push it? It seems to lag particularly when digging.

Does it lag more when the chunk rebuild value is higher? What graphics card do you have?

Yes, the chunk rebuild value seemed to play a big role. Also, water flooding a large area lagged like hell. It's a Radeon 9500.

Then again, as I said, I tried the game briefly with IE afterwards, and framerates seemed much higher (average 10-20 FPS in FF, 80-90 FPS in IE), so the issue may not be as bad as I thought it was. I haven't had the time to test extensively how the chunk rebuild stuff was affected in IE. Either way, this also makes me think that an eventual stand-alone version will help a lot (though I understand that the current frequent updates make this unappealing).
Renton
« Reply #413 on: June 25, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »

I hosted a game and played with Battlerager today. Used a Firefox and got 20-60 fps for about 2 hours and then it rocketed back to 500 fps average.
Notch
Level 2

Trying to forget 320x200 in favor of 320x240.

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 26, 2009, 06:16:05 AM »

Shocked
That's a very significant change. Did anything else change, or was it just randomly much faster?
Renton
« Reply #415 on: June 26, 2009, 06:29:42 AM »

Well 500 is my regular speed, so it's more like a significant drop of speed and then returning to normal. And no, nothing else was changed.
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 27, 2009, 07:21:04 AM »

Sadly, I can't join join any servers. I'm on firefox running on OS X 10.4.
I'm getting the red screen saying the server's probably down.

Did anyone have the same problems?

Edit: Just played it online on Windows and it's great fun :D  Made a tree, had a talk and a blast!
The zombie modes and whatever is planned will be a welcomed addition, I reckon. The game does need a little violence Grin
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 03:02:14 PM by Massena » Logged

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: June 27, 2009, 01:35:10 PM »

My sole contribution to this latest server is this underground small Spleef arena that I built with some assistance from Increpare.

I'm expanding it to 55x34, but without lava sponges, I am losing ground more than I gain it.

EDIT: The entire structure has been flooded with lava from top to bottom. It's over.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:45:54 PM by Gold Cray » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #418 on: June 27, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »

I really enjoy this game, but I'm stuck on my netbook until I can get a new motherboard for my desktop. I really wish I could play this without having to make it look like Turok on the n64 with all the fog and such. I'm definitely going to buy it soon, for that one day when I have a respectable computer. Keep up the good work!

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: June 27, 2009, 11:54:51 PM »

GENTLEMEN.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic