Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:55:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTaniNani - A Cute Puzzle Game (Free Content Update OUT NOW)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: TaniNani - A Cute Puzzle Game (Free Content Update OUT NOW)  (Read 10703 times)
kevin andersson
Level 1

Producer/ Designer by day and Programmer by night

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2019, 09:22:55 AM »

TaniNani

TaniNani is a puzzle game where you move parts of the level around to make the characters meet.
In order to unlock new worlds you need to collect the crystals and if you want a bigger difficulty you can attempt to complete the challenges on each level.

-Key Features-
  • 120 Hand designed levels.
  • 120 Optional challenges for extra difficulty.
  • Unlockable outfits.
  • A catchy cute little soundtrack.

-Links-

-Supported languages on launch-
  • English
  • French
  • Italian
  • German
  • Spanish
  • Brazilian-Portuguese
  • Swedish
  • Danish
  • Japanese
  • Simplified Chinese

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 08:56:38 PM by kevin andersson » Logged

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 10:10:29 AM »

Wow, that looks amazing! Going to be keeping a close eye on this one. Good stuff!

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 12:40:35 PM »

Wow, that looks amazing! Going to be keeping a close eye on this one. Good stuff!
Agreed! Just these few screenshots and it already looks like you've got quite an interesting set of mechanics in place.
kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »

Thank you guys! There's currently 10 worlds and each world introduce a new mechanic to the mix (except the first one that's only the base mechanic).

ComradeCupcake
Level 0

A polar bear

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »

Great concept! Hand-designing 120 levels might be rough but I'm sure you can tackle it. Those powered walls in the top right gif are a neat idea. Crystals as an extra level objective is good forethought too. Excited to see how this develops Smiley

@ComradeCupcake_
kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 11:46:08 AM »

Great concept! Hand-designing 120 levels might be rough but I'm sure you can tackle it. Those powered walls in the top right gif are a neat idea. Crystals as an extra level objective is good forethought too. Excited to see how this develops Smiley

Thank you! I've been working on the project for a few months so the 120 levels are there but I recently started a devlog... which I should've made sooner!

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 12:05:31 PM »

So right now I'm in a phase where I play through the game and fix minor things. I'm also trying to come up with more outfits that you can unlock in the game by finishing X amount of challenges. I've got a list of about 20 more ideas for outfits but I'm still learning pixel art so that part takes time. Don't want to overdo it but still want the player to feel like they can unlock some and have fun with that (hopefully).

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 03:25:24 PM »

This is really appealing, and the puzzle mechanics look great too. I also love the idea of the goal being for the characters to meet up, which reminds me of Ilomilo Smiley

Are all of the puzzles on a 3x2 grid, or are there other sizes?

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 08:07:28 PM »

This is really appealing, and the puzzle mechanics look great too. I also love the idea of the goal being for the characters to meet up, which reminds me of Ilomilo Smiley

Are all of the puzzles on a 3x2 grid, or are there other sizes?

So glad that it reminds you of Ilomilo because it's one of the inspirations. I loved that game! Smiley

All puzzles are on a 3x2 grid, when I implemented the mechanic I didn't think I'd want to have more "chunks/pieces". I have a world where the characters start as a smaller version and have to meed another small character in order to become a normal size one (one of the gifs show a smaller version).

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 11:04:07 PM »

I have tried to make in-game editors before to some of my games and I really enjoyed that process. The main goal was to speed up the process when making levels, I had streaming in mind when making the level editor. So that I could stream and create levels, which I've done and it worked really well combined with talking with chat etc.

Here's the current look to the editor. I can quickly swap between all 120 levels in the game.

I can swap between 3 different layers (gameplay, connections and decorations). I can also quickly clear a level or toggle grid mode, mostly because it looks cool to clear a level and have more buttons to play around with.

I'm really proud over this level editor because it's something I've made on my own and after all this time it's still something I can work with and not be afraid of some "spaghetti monster code" inside.

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 10:11:32 AM »

Testers and Feedback

The game is being played by some testers and I've got some good feedback and learned some valuable stuff.
I've added a level number in the bottom right corner at the start of each level which was requested. By watching some of my co-workers play the game I realised that a grid would help some of them a lot since they might not play as many puzzle games, test sessions after that proved that the grid helped.  Smiley

New Unlockable Outfit

During one of the livestreams I worked on some outfits that the player can unlock by finishing challenges in the game or maybe with a secret code.
So this is a... tractor. Could work right?  Cheesy

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 08:36:40 PM »

Since last post I've been very busy with the trailer for the game, it's now finished but not yet ready to be shown to the world. But in the near future I'll post it  Smiley

I've also been accepted as an Apple Developer and a Steam Developer so my focus has been on the storefronts there to get the game up and running for Beta testers. Which is scary and exciting!

Based on feedback I've added a summary between levels. Right now it's not looking too interesting, but I'm going to work on that part on the next livestream (in about 12 hours at https://www.twitch.tv/anderssonkev if anyone want to join).

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 12:02:13 AM »

I've just announced the release date for TaniNani! January 23 so mark your calendars! Wink
Feels really nice to be at this point with this project. Finally seeing testers enjoy it and preparing for release!

Here's the trailer:

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 10:31:36 AM »

Exciting! I'm real eager to play this.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 10:38:56 AM »

Awesome, I love these types of shifting-levels-around games.

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 09:21:13 PM »

Thank you so much! The final bugs have been squashed so now it's only playing through the game several times to make sure it's perfect. The testers "first impressions/nitpics" have been looked at etc so I hope that a lot of the players should be satisfied when the game comes out.

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2019, 04:21:11 AM »

As I look at the finished game I remembered that I had saved gifs from the entire process. Not the best quality of the gif in general but it's fun to see where it all started. What's left is generally some translation fixes on a few languages.

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2020, 01:25:52 PM »

The game was approved on App Store which means that everything regarding the release is ready. It's a great feeling and this will probably be my most "calm" release where I'm not stressed... not other than the regular "what will everyone think?" but it's good Smiley

Thank you everyone who's supported in any way, it's been motivating!

nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2020, 01:50:22 PM »

Clever!

kevin andersson
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2020, 10:16:32 PM »

Since I had more time I decided to add support for Linux and also added Simplified Chinese to the game.

Supported platforms on launch:
  • Steam (PC,Mac,Linux)
  • App Store (iPhone, iPad)

Supported languages on launch:
  • English
  • French
  • Italian
  • German
  • Spanish
  • Brazilian-Portuguese
  • Swedish
  • Danish