Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 03:13:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsAdult/Educational CompoI HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN [NSFW] [V1.000]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: I HAVE CANDY GET IN THE VAN [NSFW] [V1.000]  (Read 131894 times)
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2009, 11:06:13 PM »

Let's just say I leave a LOT of room for interpretation.  But I want people to play it based on their preconceptions from the game title and the nature of this competition.

I will say this:  if you DO terrible things, the game will begin taking away other choices.  ie. if you do a bad thing, doing other activities with children becomes impossible.  Once you start engaging in awful behaviour, you won't be able to stop.  The game slowly takes away your ability to control yourself.  ie.  if you start fondling children, you won't be able to do anything less than that when you come into physical contact.  In fact, the game forces you to be more and more aggressive until you become a monster.

Is this realistic?  Sadly, yes it is.  Is it fair to a game player?  No.

Can you kill yourself or find religion or etc.?  Well, in a way.  The ending of the game for you is dependent on several factors.  The ending for each child depends on these factors as well.  I did type out a big explanation about it, but I deleted it.  I don't feel comfortable spoiling it in a public thread.

BUT

before you guys get all scared that I'm some artster hippy that can't make games (which is kinda true), let me assure you of this:  it IS a game.  The controls will be slick, the hit detection will be tight, there will be arcade elements, and it could even be considered "fun" given other circumstances.

If it wasn't fun to play, I suspect people might not miss the point.  I want at least half of you to miss the point.  This will make sense on August 10th.

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Fuzz
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »

this sounds fucking amazing. and fucking horrible. but i believe that you can make one of the most thoughtful game experiences i'll ever play if you keep on like this. i think you might want to change the title though as it sounds a bit too light for subject matter so dark.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2009, 09:05:51 AM »

I feel the possibility of a 'happier' ending should always be possible, even if it becomes more and more difficult if you make bad choices. I like the idea that anyone can change, as unlikely as it may seem.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »

The second level makes a bit more sense, after reading that. This is still pretty weird though. Can't wait 'till you're done. Smiley

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2009, 08:52:22 PM »

Oh, can I beta-test anything?

This game is looking and sounding fantastic. It will also probably give me nightmares. I'd say the concept alone is giving this game a good shot at winning the compo.

Keep up the intriguing work!
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2009, 09:52:23 PM »

Aw heck, I hope Cock Blockers wins!  It looks absolutely awesome.    Grin

I'd love for you all to beta-test once I'm done slapping stage 1 and 2 together.  This could be another week and a bit.

Well... back to work!  Shrug

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2009, 09:17:32 PM »

I haven't added any little details (other cars, trees, etc.), but I'll get to that tomorrow.

Here's what Stage 1 will look like.  I'm sure a real artist could run circles around me.  Gentleman

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2009, 05:19:17 AM »

What is that triangular bar on the upper left corner?  Is that just the volume meter?

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »

I call it:

The Rape Meter.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »

Such bright colors for such a crappy neighborhood. It's eerie.

And if I remember my movie locations correctly, having Lou's Bar makes me wonder just what's going down at the WMCA...

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »

Heh, I use bright colors because I have an semi-EGA palette.  I probably should wash it out a bit, but I probably won't.

I do plan to do some stuff for the game after the compo; improving the graphics should probably be on the list.  Shrug

unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2009, 11:16:46 AM »

It was a compliment, actually. That pallete works well with the general theme I think, it's some good unsettling visual irony.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2009, 11:25:03 AM »

Hey, that's a good excuse!  Okay now if anyone asks, I always *intended* said visual irony.
Yep.  I'm a genius!  Who, Me?

I should have the entire map for stage 1 complete by the end of the day.  That means I should have it playable by the end of the week.  There are a few notable bugs (mainly an odd bad collision and such), but honestly I don't know if I have time to fix them.  The stage 1 map isn't that big; it's only about triple the length presented in the screenshots.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2009, 06:49:29 PM »

Such bright colors for such a crappy neighborhood. It's eerie.
I think the neighborhood needs more adult stores.

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2009, 07:27:54 PM »

Maybe I'll replace the WMCA.  I got the map layout finished, I just gotta add in my trees and other assorted debris and whatnot.

I'll be putting in my Hotspots tomorrow.

EDIT: Wait.  I'm putting a strip club instead of a WMCA.  And it's next to a school.

I'm going to Hell.  Tired
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:39:47 PM by Aquin » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »

EDIT: Wait.  I'm putting a strip club instead of a WMCA.  And it's next to a school.

I'm going to Hell.  Tired
No, your city just has poor zoning ordinances (or none at all).

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2009, 07:57:32 PM »

Well, I guess it's not as bad as having the 9-Eleven convenience store next to the library.

fishmatt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2009, 11:09:47 PM »

Aw heck, I hope Cock Blockers wins!  It looks absolutely awesome.    Grin

Kiss

It's been fun to watch this thread/game evolve
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2009, 11:30:48 PM »

Here's a short video demonstrating the world map I've done.

It's a bit barren as I've removed all cars and actors other than the player.
Hopefully I get all that working before the week is up, because I got a lot to do in the final week.

The video is choppy because my compy is from the stone age.  It's all I can do just to get my current project to run smoothly.  Also, thanks to Youtube for taking a big dump all over my video quality.  Hurray!

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »

I may not be in the same league as Edmund or Cock Blockers or any of the other wonderful entries, but I've done what I can to put my best first step forward in making indie games!

I can't believe this is how I spent my cherry.  Facepalm

The game will be available for play on Sunday (I hope), but here's the manual on how to play if you're wondering:

http://www.dreamofwinds.com/compo/web/readme.html

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic