Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:21:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsIndie BrawlHiiiiii :3
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hiiiiii :3  (Read 7359 times)
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2009, 06:26:01 AM »

Sorry if posting a new thread is um, not what I should do.
But I don't see a general chat thread or anything.

Anyway, I just joined up because this project is the shit, and may want to contribute something in the future.

I've a question, in previous builds, Quote was one of the playable characters (I think, it was a long time ago I played it), but now he's not.
I've looked at his thread and the permissions thread, and it mentioned in the latter that permission was denied, but in the former I could only see that someone asked the creator (can't remember name), and there were no posts saying that permission was actually denied.
My question is, really, did the creator ever refuse you permission, or was it not his right to?

And also, I think that Assassin Asha (from Iji, currently planned as an assist-trophy thing) would make a fantastic playable character for this game.
I mean, I think he'd even make a more appropriate character than Iji herself, considering it is a beat-em-up game and all.

For example:

All his normal attacks would just be slashing, in various ways.
Neutral, high forward slash.
Down, crouches down like in Iji, and does a rising arc upwards, and also pushes people next to you up in the air.
Forward, does a short-ranged charging teleportation move and attacks.
Up, slashes straight up, to attack mid-air people.

His special attacks would be a bit more unique.
Neutral B (I'm a smash bros player at heart :D), pulls out his gun, stands still for a brief time charging up, and then fires rapid plasma cannon blasts (big red laser, hurts lots), which would do fair damage and push significantly (so he doesn't lock them in the beams and do ridiculous damage).
Down B, stands in a ready stance, and if someone attacks him during this time he counter-attacks; if they hit him in melee then he teleports behind them and slashes at them, if hit by a ranged attack he teleports straight up in the air to avoid it.
Forward B, charges forward (jumps forward a bit) and then teleports a fair distance in front of him, you would be stunned for a short while after doing it so you can't spam.
Up B, teleports upwards, a fair distance, should probably be guidable as well to make it better for recovery (have a brief time between disappearing and appearing).

Smiley
Thewaether
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:07:50 AM »

He would probably make a decent playable character. although I think it's one character per game until the current set is finished. It sounds like his summon's going to have a pretty similar moveset to the one he has in the game, and that could probably be enough to base a whole character around. ...I'm not doing coding, so I don't know how hard making a new character would be.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:30:07 AM »

Welcome!

As far as I know, coding is not really the biggest problem.

The problem is graphics.

Also, more isn't always more, and we really dont want something like 100 different characters diluting the whole experience.
Not that such a thing would ever happen.  Sad
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:30:44 AM »

I'm pretty sure Quote has been explicitly denied...somewhere.

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »

I'm pretty sure Quote has been explicitly denied...somewhere.
Yes, by Nicalis, who port the game to WiiWare.

EDIT: By "the game" I mean cave story, not Indie Brawl.  :D
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 12:50:41 PM »

Sorry if posting a new thread is um, not what I should do.
But I don't see a general chat thread or anything.
General chat usually goes in the Go Here First thread, but it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I just joined up because this project is the shit, and may want to contribute something in the future.
Thanks. I'm glad you like it, and I hope to see some good contributions.

My question is, really, did the creator ever refuse you permission, or was it not his right to?
Tyrone Rodriguez, of Nicalis, the company that is porting Cave Story to the Wii, said he spoke with Pixel about it. He said in an email to me that "we can't grant permission to use the characters." It's disappointing, but what can you do?

And also, I think that Assassin Asha (from Iji, currently planned as an assist-trophy thing) would make a fantastic playable character for this game.
I agree, but we've already got too many characters on the roster. I think it would be best to wait until the game is more complete before we decide to add additional characters.

As far as I know, coding is not really the biggest problem.

The problem is graphics.
Yep. Coding takes some time, but it's not too bad. Plus, I find it kind of fun.

The trouble is, animating a character takes a lot of work. And graphics are already the aspect of Indie Brawl that's farthest behind.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »

Aaw, poor Quote Sad

And yeah, I guess it would be best to finish what we've started before starting more things.
Playing the un-animated characters is VERY confusing.
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 10:35:59 AM »

replace quote sprite with ip, problem solved (do you see what i am doing here? (do you get what i am implying? (i am implying that the underside is a... well... you know))).

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:05:58 AM »

replace quote sprite with ip, problem solved (do you see what i am doing here? (do you get what i am implying? (i am implying that the underside is a... well... you know))).

My Word!

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Seriously though, ip would be a great balanced character, with melee and ranged.
Now get to work mister podunkles.

godsavant
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 03:25:27 PM »

Why do I get this mental image of Ip sneaking into the spotlight triumphantly?
Not a bad idea, actually.
I think it would be a disservice to The Underside to simply make Ip a Quote clone, though. Judging from the latest videos, his fighting style will be pretty distinct, and based more around melee weapons.

I do think he will be a good character, though.

Nobody ever said anything about making Ip a Quote clone, though. I just see a lot of possibilities with Ip, should the Underside be released soon.

Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 05:51:38 PM »

Ip would be a great character, we just don't have enough information about him to plan stuff.
We'll need to wait until the game is released to make him Sad
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 06:22:14 PM »

Ip would be a great character, we just don't have enough information about him to plan stuff.

lol wut.

Is this passive agressiveness or a hint for mr. pondukian to give us some more because if it's the first, then honestly that's such an unfair reason.
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »

lol wut.

Is this passive agressiveness or a hint for mr. pondukian to give us some more because if it's the first, then honestly that's such an unfair reason.
WHAT?
How is that even VAGUELY passive-aggressive??
And no, it's not a plea for another preview, all I'm saying is that to make the character properly we'd need to play the WHOLE game, which can't be done until it's released.
shig
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »

hey podunkian

your game is a cavestory ripoff !!!

ooooh, burn
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 06:33:38 PM »

hey podunkian

your game is a cavestory ripoff !!!

ooooh, burn
Well, it is a MOD for cave story, you know.
So in a way, it's unavoidably a ripoff.
Karuvitomsk
Level 2

Do Not Fear The Tiger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 07:06:11 PM »

.. No it isn't? Undecided
ChevyRay
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »

No, it isn't.
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 07:18:30 PM »

Your new avatar is perfect.
Winterous
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 07:42:59 PM »

Aah, I thought it was :S
In that case, I retract my comment.

So, it's just very similar to cave story.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 09:20:58 PM »

:D

Also, Ip for Brawl!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic