Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 08:45:28 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 466
Print
Author Topic: Mockups, or the "Please say this is going to be a game" thread  (Read 2632940 times)
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3060 on: June 24, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »

Just a doodle, really. I have no idea how this would work in a game. Ideally I'd like all the colours be dynamically swirling around and moving, but would have to research how I would go about programming that in AS3.  Tongue

namragog
« Reply #3061 on: June 24, 2011, 10:06:47 AM »

Crazy Trees are good. Yes. Trees. Epileptic
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: June 24, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »

Just a doodle, really. I have no idea how this would work in a game. Ideally I'd like all the colours be dynamically swirling around and moving, but would have to research how I would go about programming that in AS3.  Tongue
Use a real programming language :D (just a joke obv, though with C++ you wouldn't be limited really)
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3063 on: June 24, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »

Just a doodle, really. I have no idea how this would work in a game. Ideally I'd like all the colours be dynamically swirling around and moving, but would have to research how I would go about programming that in AS3.  Tongue
Looks like something about auras. You might implement some kind of particle system wherein the particles are able to collide/interact with each other, effecting the outcome of the character-character interaction somehow. Might be an interesting replacement for a dialogue system.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3064 on: June 24, 2011, 11:41:58 AM »

Yeah that could definitely be cool! I'm thinking if I ever make this I'd definitely use some kind of particle system. Liking the idea of using the colours as an alternative to dialogue.

Use a real programming language :D (just a joke obv, though with C++ you wouldn't be limited really)

I'm not being limited at all with AS3, it's just that I'd have to really think about some good methods to get it looking how I want it. Really simple particles and such wouldn't work that great, so it'd just take some consideration.

C++ is waaaaay too much of a pain for me to make anything in right now, haha. I've done some basic C++, and it just takes too much time. Loving AS3 and FlashPunk right now Grin

Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: June 24, 2011, 12:01:32 PM »

namragog
« Reply #3066 on: June 24, 2011, 12:14:48 PM »

HOLY GOD, man! I NEED to make this game! RIGHT. GODDAMN. NOW.
Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: June 24, 2011, 01:10:56 PM »

I'm sorry, but we'll have to make it first.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3068 on: June 24, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »

Oh man, this kicks ass.

leonelc29
« Reply #3069 on: June 24, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »

ohh, it's that little zombie! Will you still make a plush doll? XD
namragog
« Reply #3070 on: June 24, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »

ohh, it's that little zombie! Will you still make a plush doll? XD

seconded
Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: June 25, 2011, 01:27:08 AM »

Can't help but imagine running to that bridge, planting a mine onto it and watching the zombies blow up and fall dwon with the bridge while the lil hero does a little cheer.

Edit:

Not sure if I'm happy how this turned out...
(and the grey thing is just placeholder)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:42:23 AM by Relix » Logged

JoGribbs
« Reply #3072 on: June 25, 2011, 01:12:39 PM »

Her jawline is a bit too soft/low down, and her head is an odd shape. She kind of looks like a tube; her head should go back a bit more maybe? As a rule of thumb, the top of the ears should roughly be the same height as the eyes. The jaw then carries down from the ears to the chin.

Also, and this is just a personal bug-bear of mine, the profile is realistically proportioned, yet the game character is exaggerated. It just seems weird, and imposing on the part of the designer. I mean, that's more of an artistic decision than one of technical skill, it just bugged me so I mentioned it.

Aside from that I like the tiles and that moon is pretty sweet.

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: June 25, 2011, 01:19:34 PM »

Also, and this is just a personal bug-bear of mine, the profile is realistically proportioned, yet the game character is exaggerated. It just seems weird, and imposing on the part of the designer. I mean, that's more of an artistic decision than one of technical skill, it just bugged me so I mentioned it.

Yeah, I agree. Was worth the try tho.
Maybe anime like would fit better?

JoGribbs
« Reply #3074 on: June 25, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »

Anime is still rather realistically proportioned, at least everywhere aside from those crazy eyes and faces (yes I am aware I am pidgeon-holing an entire medium, but I just mean in general what people think of when they think 'anime').

Just think: what are the portraits for? To express a story beyond the in-game sprites? In that case, maybe the proportions of the character need to fit the tone of the story. Or are they simply to provide context for the player to understand their character better ('she looks like this really')? Maybe then you should make it look like how you conceptualised the character in the first place. I can't help you with knowing what you want to do, but once you decide you want something in there it should to fit it's purpose.

That's the most remarkable non-answer I've ever given. It's true though: you need to make the decision that best fits what you want, not necessarily what you think you need to do.
Shawny
Level 5

<3

View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: June 25, 2011, 10:37:23 PM »

Not sure if I'm happy how this turned out...
(and the grey thing is just placeholder)

the face scares me so i made an edit

it's less realistic and its softer and like the actual sprite over there(its 2:40 am im tired i dont need to explain myself!!)

unless the girl really is a 40 year old balding woman

Relix
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: June 25, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »

Maybe then you should make it look like how you conceptualised the character in the first place.

That could be a problem, originally the first sprite was made by my friend based on my loose instructions and crappy ohgodwhatthehellisthis sprite, the current sprite was made by experimeting and tons of revisions. As for the story, you could say it's a little serious, nut, say, if you've played the Zelda games, they try to lighten up the mood somehow. I'm gonna try to do the same. So, maybe anime~ish could work.

I had this for portrait/mugshot before:

But then I lowered the window size of the game and it looks too big, I think;

the face scares me so i made an edit

it's less realistic and its softer and like the actual sprite over there(its 2:40 am im tired i dont need to explain myself!!)

unless the girl really is a 40 year old balding woman

This I like, reminds me a bit of advange wars or whatever the series was called. Maybe I try something like this.

And, something I'd like to know too, is the font readable? Are the textbox colors good or bad? Should the rest of HUD go away when the textbox is visible?

Edit:
Go me!

It's true though: you need to make the decision that best fits what you want, not necessarily what you think you need to do.

I'm not good at making this kind choices, it's so easy to judge when playing game others have made, but when you try to find the right style for everything, it becomes so complicated. I'm not really sure how I want the game to look, I know how it plays and that's important to me. So far, I've found that I just should try out different things, if it doesn't work out, try something else. And asking others who might know better about this kind things.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:13:42 PM by Relix » Logged

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3077 on: June 26, 2011, 12:38:09 AM »

Let's see where a bit of fusion takes us!

(← new art twitter)
Lizardheim
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: June 26, 2011, 12:55:25 AM »

Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3079 on: June 26, 2011, 01:49:11 AM »

awesome image

Let's see where a bit of fusion takes us!

Whoa, the two different art styles go together surprisingly well. Looks really nice.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 466
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic